Collecting HOWTOs for a router/AP project

Old March 19th 14, 04:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Colin Brough

Default Collecting HOWTOs for a router/AP project

I'm in the midst of collecting HOWTOs/guides for a project I'm hoping
to embark on soon, and wondered whether anyone had any suggestions for
additional reading material!

The plan is to replace my current Netgear router/wireless AP with a
homebrew system on something like a Jetway JBC373 from mini-itx.com.
Aim is to have it serving as router and access point, doing content
filtering, acting as nameserver and handing out IP addresses.

Planning to have it hand out static IP addresses to at least a subset
of the devices that use the network - couple of network printers, a
wired desktop (Linux), wired backup server (Linux), several laptops
(mix of Windows and Linux), iPad, iPhone, couple of Android phones...
Use known MAC addresses to hand out predictable IP addresses.... And
act as a DHCP server for visiting devices, or the mobile devices from
the above list that wouldn't really benefit from having a predictable
IP.

Likely installing Ubuntu 14.04 LTS when it comes out, and building on
that.

Not having done this kind of thing before, would the following
sequence of steps be about right?

- install base Linux
- get the wired ethernet ports (x6, probably) working
- get it working as a switch (one upstream/WAN port, 5 downstream)
- nameserver/DHCP stuff in here?
- then wireless AP stuff?
- then any filtering software (DansGuardian or similar)

What would folks preference be for software for each stage (eg which
nameserver, which DHCP daemon...)?

And have I missed anything that would be essential, or even useful, on
such a box.

Reading so far:

http://forums.funtoo.org/viewtopic.php?id=892

http://askubuntu.com/questions/37671...er-as-a-router

http://www.enterprisenetworkingplane...cess-Point.htm

http://www.enterprisenetworkingplane...int-Part-2.htm

http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials...s-access-point

Cheers

Colin

Colin Brough lid
(Replace .invalid with .co.uk to reply)
Old March 19th 14, 06:20 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Wed, 19 Mar 2014 15:43:55 +0000
Colin Brough wrote:

[...]

Not much point using a desktop distro for such a basic feature set - if
I was using that hardware I'd start with a no-gui Debian install, or
something like Smoothwall, but I'd be more inclined to try running it on
a Raspberry Pi.

Old March 19th 14, 06:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave Saville[_2_]

On Wed, 19 Mar 2014 15:43:55 UTC, Colin Brough
wrote:

I'm in the midst of collecting HOWTOs/guides for a project I'm hoping
to embark on soon, and wondered whether anyone had any suggestions for
additional reading material!

Why not something that's designed for the job - OpenWRT or similar
rather than a straight *nix distro? All the
networking/DNS/DHCP/iptables etc. built in. Just needs configuring.
--
Regards
Dave Saville
Old March 19th 14, 06:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Henry Law

On 19/03/14 15:43, Colin Brough wrote:
Likely installing Ubuntu 14.04 LTS when it comes out, and building on
that.

Other people have suggested various lightweight distros; I couldn't
comment on that. But at least I'd recommend you install Ubuntu Server
rather than desktop. If there are desktoppy bits you need you can
install them separately.

--

Henry Law Manchester, England
Old March 20th 14, 05:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Colin Brough

On 19/03/14 17:30, Henry Law wrote:
On 19/03/14 15:43, Colin Brough wrote:
Likely installing Ubuntu 14.04 LTS when it comes out, and building on
that.

Other people have suggested various lightweight distros; I couldn't
comment on that. But at least I'd recommend you install Ubuntu Server
rather than desktop. If there are desktoppy bits you need you can
install them separately.

Thanks for the comments - drove me back to looking more fully at
OpenWRT/DD-WRT. That would certainly be the cheaper option - even if
8-port kit that are supported are rare to non-existent, a 4-port or
even 2-port router plus an unmanaged switch would do the job...

However, one of the prompts for me doing this is providing content
filtering for the whole house, and I was anticipating dansguardian or
squidguard or similar. Dansguardian doesn't seem to work on either
OpenWRT or DD-WRT - eg
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=625373 or
http://community.spiceworks.com/topi...roxy-on-router
Partly a software issue (versions of the C++ library), and partly a
processor power issue - the filtering needs some muscle...

As for choosing Ubuntu over any other distro - just familiarity, since
the other Linux boxes I administer are all Ubuntu... Would pare down
the installation as much as possible.

Still thinking - does help to try and articulate the questions/sketch
what I've learned, and get reactions to it. Thanks.

Old March 24th 14, 01:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Kirk_Von_Rockstein

On 2014-03-19, Colin Brough wrote:
[...]

snip

Check these out: