Aldi WiFi extender

Old March 24th 14, 05:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Default Aldi WiFi extender

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuy...14-03-24_12-44

Regards
David

Old March 24th 14, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Syke

I have a Netgear DG834GUK router but it doesn't have a WPS button. Does
anybody know if it would work with this Aldi extender?

Regards and thanks in advance,

Syke

Old March 25th 14, 03:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies

Syke wrote:
I have a Netgear DG834GUK router but it doesn't have a WPS button. Does
anybody know if it would work with this Aldi extender?

I don't know the answer to your question. However, in my experience Aldi
is very good about accepting returns. (It may be worth looking for the
manager to ask if it's possible to buy'n'try with a return if it doesn't
work. I tend to do this for "specials".)

Also, AFAIK it'll end up halving the throughput of your wireless network
as it receives and rebroadcasts traffic.

Chris
Old March 25th 14, 08:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 17:37:00 -0000, "David" wrote:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuy...14-03-24_12-44

These do work, but sometimes confuse our tablets
because they can't always work out whether to connect
to the modem channel or the extender channel. A restart
usually fixes it.

--
:: Jim,

NHS Health Database Sale Opt-out form:

http://www.thebigoptout.com/opt-out-letter/
Old March 25th 14, 08:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 21:48:52 +0000, Syke
wrote:

I have a Netgear DG834GUK router but it doesn't have a WPS button. Does
anybody know if it would work with this Aldi extender?

Almost certainly. Mine works with both my main
TP-Link modem and the standby Belkin.

It has an ethernet port through which you can set
it up by connecting it to your DG834 via a computer.

Only thing to be aware of is that, if connected
devices can receive both the modem channel and the
extender channel, they can become confused and won't
connect. A restart usually solves this.

Old March 26th 14, 08:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Jackson

In message , Jim
writes
wrote:

I have a Netgear DG834GUK router but it doesn't have a WPS button. Does
anybody know if it would work with this Aldi extender?

Almost certainly. Mine works with both my main
TP-Link modem and the standby Belkin.

It has an ethernet port through which you can set
it up by connecting it to your DG834 via a computer.

Only thing to be aware of is that, if connected
devices can receive both the modem channel and the
extender channel, they can become confused and won't
connect. A restart usually solves this.

Aren't they both the same channel? I thought that the extender was a
'parrot', ie it received on one channel, stored the data it received,
then re-transmitted the received data on the same channel. However, I
can see that if the connected device was receiving both the direct and
the re-transmitted data, it could get confused.
--
Ian
Old March 26th 14, 06:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

On 24/03/2014 17:37, David wrote:
https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuy...14-03-24_12-44

Much the same is available on eBay for around half the price. For example
item 161225914735

No connection with seller.

--
Peter Crosland
Old March 26th 14, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

On Wed, 26 Mar 2014 08:33:37 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Jim
writes
wrote:

I have a Netgear DG834GUK router but it doesn't have a WPS button. Does
anybody know if it would work with this Aldi extender?

Almost certainly. Mine works with both my main
TP-Link modem and the standby Belkin.

It has an ethernet port through which you can set
it up by connecting it to your DG834 via a computer.

Only thing to be aware of is that, if connected
devices can receive both the modem channel and the
extender channel, they can become confused and won't
connect. A restart usually solves this.

Aren't they both the same channel? I thought that the extender was a
'parrot', ie it received on one channel, stored the data it received,
then re-transmitted the received data on the same channel. However, I
can see that if the connected device was receiving both the direct and
the re-transmitted data, it could get confused.

No, they use two channels, half speed
on each. Mine uses 12 and 8.