The Fibre-men are here!

Old March 25th 14, 01:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

Default The Fibre-men are here!

Only a month after we were asked to register our interest in fibre, to
help persuade BT to actually plan to provide it, suddenly there are some
Fibre Cable Installation vans in the high street of our village. And
there are people pulling cable. Of course, they may be pulling normal
cable, with vans borrowed from the Fibre Division, but, who knows?
There has been no news whatever of fibre coming, so this should be very
interesting. Maybe it's just passing through from one neighbouring
village, which has fibre already, to the other neighbouring village,
which doesn't.

--
Davey.
Old March 25th 14, 06:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rodney Pont

On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 01:39:47 +0000, Davey wrote:

Only a month after we were asked to register our interest in fibre, to
help persuade BT to actually plan to provide it, suddenly there are some
Fibre Cable Installation vans in the high street of our village. And
there are people pulling cable. Of course, they may be pulling normal
cable, with vans borrowed from the Fibre Division, but, who knows?
There has been no news whatever of fibre coming, so this should be very
interesting. Maybe it's just passing through from one neighbouring
village, which has fibre already, to the other neighbouring village,
which doesn't.

The key is that a second green cabinet appears near to an existing one.
We have had two appear outside our exchange and I'm assuming that some
of us with a connection directly to the exchange will get FTTC.

--
Faster, cheaper, quieter than HS2
and built in 5 years;

Old March 25th 14, 08:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article t.me.uk,
Rodney Pont wrote:

The key is that a second green cabinet appears near to an existing one.

But it may take some time - it was nearly two years between them
installing the cabinet and making it available here.

We have had two appear outside our exchange and I'm assuming that some
of us with a connection directly to the exchange will get FTTC.

That's interesting, other people have been told that if you have a
direct connection to the exchange you're out of luck.

-- Richard
Old March 25th 14, 09:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flyig u 214 + on desktop

"Rodney Pont" wrote in message
fohit.me.uk...
[...]

Been more than 2 years and an original FTTC availabilty date pre
31/12/2012 and still no sign of a second cabinet here, In fact the
availability date has just (last week) been amended to 31/12/2014 from
31/03/2014 which it was changed to in December 2013. I've given up hope
now.
--
Heard melodies are sweet but those Unheard are sweeter
FN 214+. Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland

Old March 25th 14, 09:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Have read that many times.
Regards
David

Old March 25th 14, 09:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flop

On 25/03/2014 08:56, Richard Tobin wrote:
In article t.me.uk,
Rodney Pont wrote:

The key is that a second green cabinet appears near to an existing one.

But it may take some time - it was nearly two years between them
installing the cabinet and making it available here.

We have had two appear outside our exchange and I'm assuming that some
of us with a connection directly to the exchange will get FTTC.

That's interesting, other people have been told that if you have a
direct connection to the exchange you're out of luck.

-- Richard

I believe that you are correct.

However, BtO has its own logic.

A cabinet may or may not appear.

It may be wired up rapidly or it may take months.

Your nearest cabinet may not be for you. Especially if there is
development nearby, lines may be reserved for that.

And they have to get power to it...

" the cost of providing power to the cabinet is not financially viable.
In summary, theyve put in 3 miles of fibre all the way to the cabinet,
but refuse to enable it for the cost of a power supply. ".

......or not

From-

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2012/06...inet-notspots/

--

Flop

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children
Old March 25th 14, 10:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

o.uk...
Rodney Pont wrote:

[...]

For the record, in most case what you see them installing
(the orange stuff) is not fibre but a fibre sheath. When the
time comes they blow fibres through said sheath. They can
install (blow) one fibre up to 1000m in one go.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old March 25th 14, 10:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 10:28:32 -0000
"Woody" wrote:

o.uk...
Rodney Pont wrote:

[...]

What I saw yesterday as I drove past was what looked like very thick
black-sheathed cable, being pulled down one manhole and through to the
next. What also puzzled me was that it was being left in the street, on
its trailer, as everyone was packing up for the day. If it was
copper, it probably disappeared overnight.
I'll go and have a look today.

--
Davey.

Old March 25th 14, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

Rodney Pont wrote:

The key is that a second green cabinet appears near to an existing one.

But it may take some time - it was nearly two years between them
installing the cabinet and making it available here.

There should be a local website about SuperFast broadband with
optimistic coverage maps and project schedules somewhere for your area.

We have had two appear outside our exchange and I'm assuming that some
of us with a connection directly to the exchange will get FTTC.

That's interesting, other people have been told that if you have a
direct connection to the exchange you're out of luck.

-- Richard

I think it depends how far away you are from the exchange as well.

They stuff a cabinet in or near the exchange to avoid their staff
getting beaten up by irate subscribers who live next to the exchange and
have to negotiate their way around multiple OpenReach vans daily. You
can easily guess how annoyed they would be if they had to suffer the
daily inconvenience without actually getting any of the benefit!

I think someone told me that if you live more than 1km from the magic
cabinet you are basically condemned to third world data rates. My Three
3G connection in a rural location at 5Mbps is faster than my wired ADSL

Certainly a nearby village with its cabinet about 1km from the centre of
the village has been ignored completely. The exchange is FTTC capable
but they haven't bothered to offer any service at all there.
(possibly due to a lack of mains power at the old cabinet location)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old March 25th 14, 12:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 11:10:42 +0000
Martin Brown wrote:

There should be a local website about SuperFast broadband with
optimistic coverage maps and project schedules somewhere for your
area.

There is. It shows a vague time that could be anywhere between July
this year and...who knows?

--
Davey.