Manual for a BT HH Modell 4-5H8H router

Old March 26th 14, 12:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

Default Manual for a BT HH Modell 4-5H8H router

Hi,

Does anyone have a decent manual for the BT home hub router?
BT support it seems does not

I don't want the marketing fluff I want something that tells me how to
make it tell me raw bit error rates, CRC and other advanced diagnostics.
(not for my line so I need to know how to do it when I visit a friend)

He is suffering bad ADSL disconnects - intermittent line faults with BT
engineers saying no fault found and trying to charge him for callouts.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old March 26th 14, 02:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Martin Brown wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone have a decent manual for the BT home hub router?
BT support it seems does not

I don't want the marketing fluff I want something that tells me how to
make it tell me raw bit error rates, CRC and other advanced diagnostics.
(not for my line so I need to know how to do it when I visit a friend)

He is suffering bad ADSL disconnects - intermittent line faults with BT
engineers saying no fault found and trying to charge him for callouts.

If you're going to the trouble of visiting your friend take a spare
router of your own. Buy one if necessary.

If you find your test router shows no faults, then you've probably
solved the problem.

If you get one that works with RouterStats even better - the program
will capture the details you need for later analysis.

--
Graham J

Old March 26th 14, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

On 26/03/2014 14:38, Graham J wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone have a decent manual for the BT home hub router?
BT support it seems does not

I don't want the marketing fluff I want something that tells me how to
make it tell me raw bit error rates, CRC and other advanced diagnostics.
(not for my line so I need to know how to do it when I visit a friend)

He is suffering bad ADSL disconnects - intermittent line faults with BT
engineers saying no fault found and trying to charge him for callouts.

If you're going to the trouble of visiting your friend take a spare
router of your own. Buy one if necessary.

I have several spare routers, but since I suspect the problem is a
mismatch between his BT router and his physical line which apparently
includes a segment of aluminium cable that BT pretends does not exist.

I am not at his location and trying to do it remotely. He isn't happy or
safe to fiddle with things on his own so a visit may well be needed. If
I could talk him through it by phone then I might stand a chance.

If you find your test router shows no faults, then you've probably
solved the problem.

If you get one that works with RouterStats even better - the program
will capture the details you need for later analysis.

I am sure that if I was on site I could hack my way through whatever
daft menu interface they have put on it, but the only online manual I
can find for their HH 4 kit is a complete joke - namely:

http://btsupport.custhelp.com/ci/fat...688/redirect/1

Be a miracle if that link works (pathetic end user kwik start guide).

Most ISPs routers seem to deliberately hide their useful diagnostics in
obscure corners protected by "here be dragons" signs or at the bottom of
a locked filing cabinet behind a door labelled "beware of the tiger".

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old April 1st 14, 10:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

On 26/03/14 16:02, Martin Brown wrote:

http://btsupport.custhelp.com/ci/fat...688/redirect/1

Be a miracle if that link works (pathetic end user kwik start guide).

Most ISPs routers seem to deliberately hide their useful diagnostics in
obscure corners protected by "here be dragons" signs or at the bottom of
a locked filing cabinet behind a door labelled "beware of the tiger".

Maybe something here for router stats.
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

Had a quick attempt looking for a manual. Who actually makes the modem
for BT?

--
Adrian C
Old April 1st 14, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

On 01/04/2014 10:25, Adrian C wrote:
On 26/03/14 16:02, Martin Brown wrote:

http://btsupport.custhelp.com/ci/fat...688/redirect/1

Be a miracle if that link works (pathetic end user kwik start guide).

Most ISPs routers seem to deliberately hide their useful diagnostics in
obscure corners protected by "here be dragons" signs or at the bottom of
a locked filing cabinet behind a door labelled "beware of the tiger".

Maybe something here for router stats.
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately it tells me the following:

"Unfortunately the HH4 doesn't offer any linestats via the interface
other than connection speed."

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php#71

I can't help feeling it is hidden in there somewhere. Just like the
weird hacks to get into engineering mode on various motherboards. It is
remarkably short on worthwhile diagnostic engineering documentation.

Had a quick attempt looking for a manual. Who actually makes the modem
for BT?

Specially trained monkeys?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old April 1st 14, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

http://edible-shop.com/shop/herbivore/monkey-picked-tea

--
Adrian C
Old April 1st 14, 12:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

[...]

Or SNMP. It MAY just have that.

The thing to bear in mind is that commercial 'domestic' routers place a
premium on simplicity of installation and configuration. And no annoying
support calls from people who think that the firmware reveals just how
**** the ISP service really is.

Which is why I have a Cisco, not a TP-Link, sitting over there ==

Had a quick attempt looking for a manual. Who actually makes the modem
for BT?

Specially trained monkeys?

Something like that ;-)

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Old April 1st 14, 12:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 01/04/14 11:49, Adrian C wrote:
On 01/04/14 11:13, Martin Brown wrote:
On 01/04/2014 10:25, Adrian C wrote:

Had a quick attempt looking for a manual. Who actually makes the modem
for BT?

Specially trained monkeys?

http://edible-shop.com/shop/herbivore/monkey-picked-tea

"Untouched by human hands"

Old April 1st 14, 01:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry[_2_]

[...]

Does this help any?
https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Br...ad/td-p/884774

Old April 1st 14, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

On 01/04/2014 13:24, Harry wrote:
[...]

Only in confirming that BT customers don't care about the crucial
diagnostics that would allow them to hassle BT over bad connections.

Allegedly stats withdrawn on HH4 because users didn't want them ;-)
It saves me from trying a brute force search for hidden pages tho...

I'd still like to believe they are hidden somewhere.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown