Slow speed on Infinity service

Old April 6th 14, 06:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry Pinnell

Default Slow speed on Infinity service

I used to get over 30 Mbps on my BT Infinity broadband, but over the
last couple of days that dropped significantly. Just ran
http://www.speedtest.net and got around 7 Mbps.

Anyone know what the cause might be please?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old April 6th 14, 07:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
I used to get over 30 Mbps on my BT Infinity broadband, but over the
last couple of days that dropped significantly. Just ran
http://www.speedtest.net and got around 7 Mbps.

Anyone know what the cause might be please?

First question whose speed test are you using???

After that it can any one of many problems. Taking as said that you are a
BT line, go to their website and run an automatic line test, if the fails
see if you can run one from the test socket on the back-plate of the NTE5.
If it does indicate a line fault report that, not your speed problems.

If on the other hand the test results are apparently ok approach BT on that
issue, you card have fault on your port or it may have become misconfigured.

So the first point, if you are using a reputable speed test site, is do a
line test and take it from there.

Old April 6th 14, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
I used to get over 30 Mbps on my BT Infinity broadband, but over the
last couple of days that dropped significantly. Just ran
http://www.speedtest.net and got around 7 Mbps.

Anyone know what the cause might be please?

Water quite often.

Ring your own number from your mobile and let it ring for a minute or so.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Old April 6th 14, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

On 06/04/2014 18:15, Terry Pinnell wrote:
I used to get over 30 Mbps on my BT Infinity broadband, but over the
last couple of days that dropped significantly. Just ran
http://www.speedtest.net and got around 7 Mbps.

What sync rate and error diagnostics are you getting?

I wonder what chance there is of referring the BT "infinity" brand to
the advertising standards authority since it is obviously *VERY* finite.
(and even more so when contention is taken into account)

Anyone know what the cause might be please?

Try bbc iplayer diagnostics for an independent test.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old April 7th 14, 08:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Martin Brown wrote:
On 06/04/2014 18:15, Terry Pinnell wrote:
I used to get over 30 Mbps on my BT Infinity broadband, but over the
last couple of days that dropped significantly. Just ran
http://www.speedtest.net and got around 7 Mbps.

What sync rate and error diagnostics are you getting?

[snip]

With a VDSL modem (as used for "Infinity") you won't be able to see such
information.

You could install a router with an integrated VDSL modem (e.g.
https://shop.seg.co.uk/vigor-2860n.html) which would give you line
information.

That way you could separate a line problem from a contention/throughput
limitation imposed on your service.

-- Graham J

Old April 7th 14, 10:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry Pinnell

Terry Pinnell wrote:

I used to get over 30 Mbps on my BT Infinity broadband, but over the
last couple of days that dropped significantly. Just ran
http://www.speedtest.net and got around 7 Mbps.

Anyone know what the cause might be please?

Thanks all, appreciate the feedback.

I went to the BT forum last night and found many (hundreds?) of
similar complaints. Added my own on page 42 of that thread:
https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infin...202997/page/42
which I'll also paste here for convenience/comment:

--------------------

"Just found this thread while searching for possible cause of drop
from 36 Mbps to 6. I'm in East Grinstead, West Sussex. If this has
been going on for some time (I've been away for a while) then isn't it
about time we considered some collective legal action? My contract and
presumably many others is not currently being honoured.

And why does the online line test report no Broadband issues?"

--------------------

It seems from most of those posts that it deteriorates during the day.
I tested it twice this morning (06:23 and 09:38) and got my expected
37 MB on both. (Speedtest.net by OOkla at https://www.speedtest.net .)

I'll test again later.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old April 7th 14, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Mc

Graham J [email protected] wrote:
: With a VDSL modem (as used for "Infinity") you won't be able to see such
: information.

: You could install a router with an integrated VDSL modem (e.g.
: https://shop.seg.co.uk/vigor-2860n.html) which would give you line
: information.

A BT HomeHub5also has integrated VDSL modem - and DOES reveal the basic line
stats. I think BT give these out "free" for a recontract - or else there
are plenty on eBay.

Old April 7th 14, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

"Kraftee" wrote:

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
I used to get over 30 Mbps on my BT Infinity broadband, but over the
last couple of days that dropped significantly. Just ran
http://www.speedtest.net and got around 7 Mbps.

Anyone know what the cause might be please?

First question whose speed test are you using???

"Just ran http://www.speedtest.net and got around 7 Mbps."

That's one of the better ones and the one I tend to believe.

Right it's off to do some diagnostics for you my lad.

and its off to the naughty stool for you for sending attachments with a
usenet message

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.