Orange/EE website woes

Old April 10th 14, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

Default Orange/EE website woes

Is it my PC or does the EE Website really look like it has been hacked
or assembled by a drunken teenager after a night out on the town?

https://my.ee.co.uk/your-account/login/

Words and icons smashed over each other, blobs and half drawn radio
buttons abound. The display is consistent across IE11 and Chrome33
(this is on a wide screen 16:10 display Intel 4000 graphics)

It displays OK on IE8 and IE9. I don't have IE10 to hand.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old April 10th 14, 11:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

On 10/04/2014 11:13, Martin Brown wrote:
Is it my PC or does the EE Website really look like it has been hacked
or assembled by a drunken teenager after a night out on the town?

https://my.ee.co.uk/your-account/login/

Words and icons smashed over each other, blobs and half drawn radio
buttons abound. The display is consistent across IE11 and Chrome33
(this is on a wide screen 16:10 display Intel 4000 graphics)

It displays OK on IE8 and IE9. I don't have IE10 to hand.

Don't use IE unless I have to.
Checked on my PC IE11 seems normal to me.
FireFox 28.0 all is well also checked at all pre-set resolutions on FF
"responsive design" developer tool no problems there either.

http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk
Commercial Gym Equipment suppliers since 1999.

Old April 10th 14, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 11:13:24 +0100
Martin Brown wrote:

Is it my PC or does the EE Website really look like it has been
hacked or assembled by a drunken teenager after a night out on the
town?

https://my.ee.co.uk/your-account/login/

Words and icons smashed over each other, blobs and half drawn radio
buttons abound. The display is consistent across IE11 and Chrome33
(this is on a wide screen 16:10 display Intel 4000 graphics)

It displays OK on IE8 and IE9. I don't have IE10 to hand.

Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at my.ee.co.uk.

--
Davey.
Old April 10th 14, 11:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

On 10/04/2014 11:42, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 10/04/2014 11:13, Martin Brown wrote:
Is it my PC or does the EE Website really look like it has been hacked
or assembled by a drunken teenager after a night out on the town?

https://my.ee.co.uk/your-account/login/

Words and icons smashed over each other, blobs and half drawn radio
buttons abound. The display is consistent across IE11 and Chrome33
(this is on a wide screen 16:10 display Intel 4000 graphics)

It displays OK on IE8 and IE9. I don't have IE10 to hand.

Don't use IE unless I have to.
Checked on my PC IE11 seems normal to me.
FireFox 28.0 all is well also checked at all pre-set resolutions on FF
"responsive design" developer tool no problems there either.

How curious. Pressing refresh now gets it to work on IE11 & Chrome, but
I swear that it was totally mangled half an hour ago when I posted this.
(and reproducible)

I wonder if their server is being a bit erratic.
I didn't see any timeout msgs though.

Firefox here just crashed when pointed at that site.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old April 10th 14, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

wrote:

Is it my PC or does the EE Website really look like it has been hacked
or assembled by a drunken teenager after a night out on the town?

https://my.ee.co.uk/your-account/login/

Certainly looks a mess in FF 3 & 12. I see three copies of most
things in both. (I grant those are rather old browsers, but I'd have
to fire up another PC to test anything more recent.)

Words and icons smashed over each other, blobs and half drawn radio
buttons abound. The display is consistent across IE11 and Chrome33
(this is on a wide screen 16:10 display Intel 4000 graphics)

It displays OK on IE8 and IE9. I don't have IE10 to hand.

Nothing would surprise me about Orange's website:

quote
Dear Sir/Madam,

I write to complain about my service from Orange. There are 10
different numbered complaints here, please ensure that you address
them all.

1 & 2 snip

3 Thirdly, I am getting increasingly exasperated by Orange's
spamming of me in the middle of the night with texts about services
about which I neither know nor care to know. I only want to receive
directly to my phone very important information from Orange, the rest
can go hang.

4 I wish mobile phone services in this area would forget about 4G
and get 3G working reliably. I can only use my mobile with any
reliability at all in my home standing next to one window.

em
Subsequent issues all result in one way or another from Orange's
appallingly designed (if that's the word - it is difficult to
conceive of someone actually designing such a mess) website ...
/em

5 The next most important issue is that Orange are one of an
increasing number of firms insulting customers by assuming that they
can't be trusted to enter correctly into a web page something as
trivial as their own name and address. Please note, and ensure that
you correct your records which are wrong, that my current address is
as follows and ONLY as follows ...
snip
.... yet your website and your records insist it something slightly
different. The reason this happens has a very simple cause: Because
my current address has no house name, only a number, the
inadequately-tested website form has combined the house name from my
previous address with the rest of my current address to produce an
absurdity. I can't do anything about it whatsoever, because the whole
process is automated by entering a postcode and then choosing the rest
of the address from a drop-down list, so I can't even try to erase the
previous house name by just entering a space in its place. Thus we
have the absurd situation where programmers, who on multitudinous
evidence below clearly can not be trusted to program a website
properly, insult customers by assuming that they can not be trusted to
do a rather better job entering their own details - in reality it
would be difficult for any normal individual to make as bad a mess of
it as has arisen through their Orwellian arrogance in not allowing us
to do it for ourselves.

6 The font size of the paragraph text on the website is absurdly
small. In fact it is so small that on my 1024 x 768 Viewsonic VG712s
monitor, which has a dot-pitch of a little over 3 pixels per mm, there
actually aren't enough pixels close enough together to define the
shape of each character, so the result looks like an over-compressed
JPEG picture, and is unreadable. This is a clear and obvious fault
that should have been found by even the most minimal and basic
testing.

7 Certain pages on your site automatically reload every 5-10s or so.
This practice is widely frowned upon, partly because it reduces
accessibility - for example it is really confusing for people
reading a site by means of assistive reading technologies (which I am
not, by the way) - and partly because, as in my case, it wastes
bandwidth, which in this area whether via land line or mobile is in
very, very short supply, and also because it causes endless warnings
to be thrown up by browsers.

8 Your website is of fixed width design, which means that unless one
permanently has one's browser running at full screen, which I don't,
important bits of the pages, such as log in and log out buttons, are
hidden off the right-hand edge. Again, this goes against everything
that is taught about good web-design, and is a fault that should
become clear and obvious with even minimal testing.

9 Ever since the EE login page has been introduced, I've been unable
to log in.

10 Pursuant to this, there is no easily findable correspondence
address on your website. Why is it hidden under a section headed by a
phone symbol?

All-in-all, Orange's website is one of the worst I have to use in my
everyday life. It is a shambles cluttered by things that are of
little or no concern to me, crammed into an inflexible design that
cannot cope with the average hardware in the average home in this
area. We, your customers, do not care about what it looks like on the
website manager's big and expensive high-resolution widescreen
monitor; we, using normal equipment purchased within the last decade
or so, find it an abysmal and unergonomic mess that gives the
appearance that Orange just don't care enough about their customers to
perform even the most basic and minimal usability testing on everyday
hardware of the sort your customers are likely to own.

And that's just on a PC, you would have thought at least that a mobile
phone company would make their website half decent for a mobile phone,
but no, it's the same cluttered mess, crammed into an even smaller
area!

Yours disgustedly,
/quote
Old April 10th 14, 03:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

Could their servers have been caught by this...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26969629

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old April 10th 14, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 10/04/2014 13:53, Java Jive wrote:
3 Thirdly, I am getting increasingly exasperated by Orange's
spamming of me in the middle of the night with texts about services
about which I neither know nor care to know. I only want to receive
directly to my phone very important information from Orange, the rest
can go hang.

I turn my 'phone off at night, largely to stop that kind of thing.

4 I wish mobile phone services in this area would forget about 4G
and get 3G working reliably. I can only use my mobile with any
reliability at all in my home standing next to one window.

+lots.

Andy
Old April 10th 14, 10:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bert

In message , Martin Brown
writes
Is it my PC or does the EE Website really look like it has been hacked
or assembled by a drunken teenager after a night out on the town?

https://my.ee.co.uk/your-account/login/

Words and icons smashed over each other, blobs and half drawn radio
buttons abound. The display is consistent across IE11 and Chrome33
(this is on a wide screen 16:10 display Intel 4000 graphics)

It displays OK on IE8 and IE9. I don't have IE10 to hand.

Looks Ok on FF
--
bert
Old April 10th 14, 11:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 21:41:28 +0100
Vir Campestris wrote:

I turn my 'phone off

unless I want to make a call using it.

--
Davey.

Old April 11th 14, 09:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
o.uk...
4 I wish mobile phone services in this area would forget about 4G
and get 3G working reliably. I can only use my mobile with any
reliability at all in my home standing next to one window.

Yes. Near me, big cities like Leeds and (to a lesser extent) York already
have pretty good 3G but they are places being upgraded to 4G, while smaller
towns and large villages, even those close to main roads, have to make do
with slower standards or even no mobile internet at all. I'm lucky if I can
get a mobile phone signal (for voice/text) at home - it varies from day to
day. And that's with Vodafone whose signal is the strongest round here; with
all the other companies you can forget mobile reception at home. This is in
well-populated flattish parts of North Yorkshire, not in the wilds of the
moors, miles from the nearest village and at the bottom of a steep-sided
valley.

Mostly I wouldn't mind, but it is annoying that Google Maps don't do a
totally offline version of their satnav software so you could load up the
whole country while connected to wifi at home and then use the phone offline
while out driving. Even if I download a part of the country (a pitifully
small 10x10 miles, or thereabouts) I still need internet to search for a
postcode, even if I can get directions offline once my destination has been
identified.

There are a lot of assumptions that people will "always" have mobile
internet, which is not the case. In my experience, using a modern Samsung
phone, web page access is very slow even in good 3G/4G areas, and is
virtually unusable (5 mins for a simple page of text) in "2G" areas.