Sky and TalkTalk are planning rollout of 1GB fiber broadband next year in York

Old April 16th 14, 10:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

Default Sky and TalkTalk are planning rollout of 1GB fiber broadband next year in York

Sky and TalkTalk are planning rollout of 1GB fiber broadband next year in York

York is pretty lucky.

I wonder if anyone is rolling out broadband with fast upload speeds.

Or may be its time to deploy broadband companies with
business models that focus on high upload speeds and modest
download speeds.

The problem at the moment is that you can't participate
in international work if broadband upload speeds are
screwed because some management troll decided upload
speeds at low cost is not needed. They easily forget a minutes of
HD cam video turns into gigabytes of data that
need to be uploaded rapidly in order to participate
in international online meetings.

BT are supposed to roll out 300Mbit soon - but their upload
speeds are the same as 70mbit broadband - limited to about 16mbit.
Gaining all that extra down load speed won't improve
my prospects if I can't upload faster.

Fiber to the premise companies operating in London are not
any good unless you got lot of people pooling and inviting
the company to cable up your street.

I can easily pay 100 pounds a month for 100mbit upload speeds
if any company out there is offering.

Old April 17th 14, 08:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"7" [email protected] .com wrote in message
Sky and TalkTalk are planning rollout of 1GB fiber broadband next year in
York

York is pretty lucky.

I wonder if anyone is rolling out broadband with fast upload speeds.

Or may be its time to deploy broadband companies with
business models that focus on high upload speeds and modest
download speeds.

The problem at the moment is that you can't participate
in international work if broadband upload speeds are
screwed because some management troll decided upload
speeds at low cost is not needed. They easily forget a minutes of
HD cam video turns into gigabytes of data that
need to be uploaded rapidly in order to participate
in international online meetings.

Isn't HD for video-conferencing a bit excessive? Wouldn't fairly
well-compressed SD video be sufficient? Or do you work for a company which
makes HD video programmes where you need to transfer them to colleagues as
part of your core business?

I agree that the present ADSL model is no longer as sensible as it used to
be: what's the point of having 8 Mbps or faster download if you cannot get
faster than 0.5 Mbps upload in the days of online cloud backup, when you may
have several hundred GB of data to upload when you are first setting up
cloud storage, even if thereafter the incremental backup may be fairly
small. It took several days of continuous transfer to upload my wife's music
from iTunes to Google Music, and that was only a few hundred MB.

I'm toying with getting FTTC but it would cause horrendous problems with
rerouting cable within our house and cost a lot in BT fees because we have
very old wiring with an ancient GPO rectangular junction box: asking around
it seems that BT would charge us to remove that and install proper wiring,
and they wouldn't allow wiring under carpets and under carpet strips in
doorways.

Old April 17th 14, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Indeed - see http://search.dilbert.com/comic/Video%20Puppet from twenty
years ago.

Old April 17th 14, 04:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

NY wrote:

[...]

Failure to read properly.
There is a big difference between video conferencing
and uploading HD video of product demonstration, animations,
syncing terabytes of disk content.

I agree that the present ADSL model is no longer as sensible as it used to
be: what's the point of having 8 Mbps or faster download if you cannot get
faster than 0.5 Mbps upload in the days of online cloud backup, when you
may have several hundred GB of data to upload when you are first setting
up cloud storage, even if thereafter the incremental backup may be fairly
small. It took several days of continuous transfer to upload my wife's
music from iTunes to Google Music, and that was only a few hundred MB.

That is a very specific issue and different to my issue.

The issue I have is that I can't participate in international
meetings because I can't upload fast enough.

I can eventually sync anything from 100MB to 120GB disk given enough days,
but that is NOT participation in the business
sense of the word.

The ADSL business model has failed and its going to drag UK plc to the
grave with it.

I'm toying with getting FTTC but it would cause horrendous problems with
rerouting cable within our house and cost a lot in BT fees because we have
very old wiring with an ancient GPO rectangular junction box: asking
around it seems that BT would charge us to remove that and install proper
wiring, and they wouldn't allow wiring under carpets and under carpet
strips in doorways.

You can simplify it for them. Install the kit on the first room from the
outside wall and get some friend to route it yourself inside the house.

Old April 17th 14, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

[snip]

That is a very specific issue and different to my issue.

The issue I have is that I can't participate in international
meetings because I can't upload fast enough.

What upload speed is required in order to participate in these meetings?

Where are the other participants and what upload speeds do they achieve?
What do they pay for their internet connections?

An internet connection at 100 Mbits/sec uncontended might cost you £100k
setup and £10k per year to operate. How does this compare with the
costs of travelling to these international meetings?

--
Graham J

Old April 20th 14, 04:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

Graham J wrote:

[snip]

That is a very specific issue and different to my issue.

The issue I have is that I can't participate in international
meetings because I can't upload fast enough.

What upload speed is required in order to participate in these meetings?

Where are the other participants and what upload speeds do they achieve?
What do they pay for their internet connections?

An internet connection at 100 Mbits/sec uncontended might cost you £100k
setup and £10k per year to operate. How does this compare with the
costs of travelling to these international meetings?

Its hard to define it as any one single issue.
It certainly would not get repaired by me unilaterally
spending £100,000 for a dopey internet link
when others have in their country the same thing for under £50.

The story behind participation starts like this.

If you got the greatest airports, the greatest shipping ports and the
greatest financial services in the world,
what good is it tomorrow if you can't check up on deliveries, or book on
line tickets or place a stock order because their internet doesn't work?

If the internet service providers become slack, then these major
power houses of revenue can't participate.

All that money and effort spent on laws, governance, infrastructure
and the rest gets laid to waste in days all because internet is not working.

I got virgin media who claims to give you 10% upload bandwidth.
And even with that, they seem to interfere with VoIP so I can never make
relible VoIP calls despite having 10 times too much upload bandwidth needed
to make the VoIP call. This issue won't get repaired my me forking
out money to buy their land line and paying extortion rates for phone call
when my competitors can make the same call for 1p a minute.

So I got VoIP on a BT broadband, and its great.
So unilterally, I paid double money for two internets now just to get
reliable VoIP. My competitor laughs at my doubled expenses.

All those management trolls up in big busines sat in ivory towers
don't seem to realize these kind of hoops are killing UK's internet
and UK plc with it.

So the next piece of the puzzle is that I got to be able to upload
vast amounts of information
A big piece of work takes me 3 weeks to do to upload to Far East.
Yet another related outfit did the same work in 1 week
betwen Shanghai and Guanzhou.
This naturally raises eyebrows. Why does that company need to waste
3 weeks with me when they could do all the work with
the more efficient group?

I can't partiticpate if all the management trolls sat up in ivory
towers can't be bothered to give me massive upload speeds. and
massive high speed international links.

If you are government and you do your best to make big things
like Dover, Heathrow and The City happen, you are falling down
on your job if you are not provisioning massive upload and download
capabilties, and massive pipes into big industrial centers
like China, Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Philippines, US, India, South Africa,
Brazil and so on.

Why not order BT, or set up a government funded competitor to BT,
that will lay down massive international pipes to other major
centers of commerce, and so if you are in UK trying to do work
in China, Philippines and so on, the UK traffic would get routed
specially fast through those pipes to the local centers of commerce.

There is a lot of money to be made for not settling for second
best when it comes to upload speeds and international bandwidths
to make sure UK plc can participate in major industrial centers.

Old April 20th 14, 06:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"7" [email protected] .com wrote in message
Graham J wrote:

Snip head in clouds vent by resident school boy.

Give it a rest

All that money and effort spent on laws, governance, infrastructure
and the rest gets laid to waste in days all because internet is not working

So the country stops (literally) because your Virgin connection can't keep
up........sorry don't happen

If you got the greatest airports, the greatest shipping ports and the
greatest financial services in the world,
what good is it tomorrow if you can't check up on deliveries, or book on
line tickets or place a stock order because their internet doesn't work?

But it does, just not as fast as you want yours to work.

And so it goes on, the school holidays will soon be over so you aught to
catch up with all that project work you should be doing, oh sorry is your
Virgin connection to slow?

Old April 20th 14, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve[_2_]

7 presented the following explanation :
Graham J wrote:

[snip]

[...]

You can have everything you want. Blisteringly fast upload speeds are
available, just as are blisteringly fast download speeds. Everything is
do-able, you just need to be able to throw enough money at it. The
products are there, just buy and pay for it and you can have it - but I
suspect that you don't want to pay the going rate so stop bleating
about how hard done to you are.

Old April 20th 14, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sun, 20 Apr 2014 19:12:19 +0100, Steve wrote:

7 presented the following explanation :
Graham J wrote:

[snip]

[...]

Oh, God, he's back (7 that is). Please ignore him.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Old April 21st 14, 03:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
Oh, God, he's back (7 that is). Please ignore him.

I'm glad I was not the only one who can still remember the tirades from that
source, looking at the calendar it won't be for much longer.