Life after Samba

Old April 28th 14, 11:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Default Life after Samba

As many people will know, Samba went down the tubes today.

In case you hadn't heard of it, this was a service which provided free
mobile internet bandwidth which you "earned" by watching adverts on
their site. The advertisers paid them for every advert you watched, and
they used the money to buy bandwidth from '3'.

It sounded too good to be true, but it lasted for longer than I expected
- but has now finally bitten the dust. Shame about the 700MB of credit
which I had built up.

OK, that's the past - what of the future?

It's very unlikely that there will be a free replacement, but I'm now
looking for a data SIM which is fairly cheap, can be used in a mobile
WiFi device to provide internet access to other devices (PCs and
WiFi-only tablets), is on a network with good coverage, and whose data
allowance doesn't expire too soon - preferably not at all.

Anyone got any recommendations? Something like a '3' 3-2-1 PAYG SIM
would be ideal from a cost point of view - with the ability to top up
with non-expiring credit, and then get data at 1p per MB. But I suspect
that using it in a mobile WiFi device would be classed as tethering -
which is almost certainly not allowed.

So what else is there, with similar pricing and flexibility but without
any restrictions on tethering?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old April 29th 14, 12:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_2_]

Roger Mills wrote:

As many people will know, Samba went down the tubes today.
In case you hadn't heard of it, this was a service which provided free
mobile internet bandwidth which you "earned" by watching adverts

OK, that's the past - what of the future?

I don't mean to sound harsh, but is a paying a tenner a month for 1GB of
data really too much? They'll* even throw in several thousand text
messages and a whole day's worth of voice calls :-)

[*] Tesco.

Old April 29th 14, 05:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...

Roger Mills wrote:

As many people will know, Samba went down the tubes today.
In case you hadn't heard of it, this was a service which provided free
mobile internet bandwidth which you "earned" by watching adverts

OK, that's the past - what of the future?

I don't mean to sound harsh, but is a paying a tenner a month for 1GB of
data really too much? They'll* even throw in several thousand text
messages and a whole day's worth of voice calls :-)

[*] Tesco.

Does Tesco mobile allow tethering? I can't find any mention on their web
site, either allowing or prohibiting tethering.

Old April 29th 14, 08:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 05:46:13 +0100, Andrew wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...

Roger Mills wrote:

As many people will know, Samba went down the tubes today.
In case you hadn't heard of it, this was a service which provided free
mobile internet bandwidth which you "earned" by watching adverts

OK, that's the past - what of the future?

I don't mean to sound harsh, but is a paying a tenner a month for 1GB of
data really too much? They'll* even throw in several thousand text
messages and a whole day's worth of voice calls :-)

[*] Tesco.

Does Tesco mobile allow tethering? I can't find any mention on their web
site, either allowing or prohibiting tethering.

Giffgaff. A tenner a month for 1GB, 500 minutes and unlimited texts.
Tethering is allowed on this tariff (which is the 10 goodybag); it isn't
allowed on 'unlimited data' goodybags.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Old April 29th 14, 08:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Forman

"Andrew" writes:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...

Roger Mills wrote:

As many people will know, Samba went down the tubes today. In case
you hadn't heard of it, this was a service which provided free mobile
internet bandwidth which you "earned" by watching adverts

OK, that's the past - what of the future?

I don't mean to sound harsh, but is a paying a tenner a month for 1GB
of data really too much? They'll* even throw in several thousand text
messages and a whole day's worth of voice calls :-)

[*] Tesco.

Does Tesco mobile allow tethering? I can't find any mention on their
web site, either allowing or prohibiting tethering.

MobiData charge just under 5 for 1 GB / month on a 1 month rolling
contract.

http://mobi-data.co.uk/plans-and-pricing.php

--
Pete Forman
http://petef.22web.org/payg.html
Old April 29th 14, 09:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_2_]

Pete Forman wrote:

"Andrew" writes:

Does Tesco mobile allow tethering? I can't find any mention on their
web site, either allowing or prohibiting tethering.

Well, they certainly don't prevent it, which is all I care really. I
used nearly 11GB of data in my first month with 4G, a large chunk of
that was my laptop tethered to the phone downloading Windows 8.1 or
streaming iPlayer HD "for the hell of it".

MobiData charge just under 5 for 1 GB / month on a 1 month rolling
contract.

http://mobi-data.co.uk/plans-and-pricing.php

That's pretty good, also 2GB/month for the same price on a 90 day
contract, presumably they use Three?

Old April 29th 14, 10:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Mc

In uk.telecom.mobile Andrew wrote:
: I don't mean to sound harsh, but is a paying a tenner a month for 1GB of
: data really too much? They'll* even throw in several thousand text
: messages and a whole day's worth of voice calls :-)

Samba had the advantage (for tablets and Mifi anyway) or NOT allowing text
or voice calls!

I, for one, would not want to use a mobile broadband SIM for anything else.

To answer the OP Currys/PC World were recently (and possibly still are!) selling
"3" PAYG mobile broadband SIMs (the 1Gb/1month ones) for 2.99pounds.

Old April 29th 14, 11:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Pete Forman" wrote in message
"Andrew" writes:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...

Roger Mills wrote:

[...]

Any idea which infrastructure Pete?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old April 29th 14, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 29/04/2014 00:23, Andy Burns wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:

As many people will know, Samba went down the tubes today.
In case you hadn't heard of it, this was a service which provided free
mobile internet bandwidth which you "earned" by watching adverts

OK, that's the past - what of the future?

I don't mean to sound harsh, but is a paying a tenner a month for 1GB of
data really too much?

Yes. I only want it for occasional use so that I can use my tablet when
away from home WiFi, etc. I don't need anything like 1GB per month -
which was why Samba was so good. The 700MB credit which I had earned
would have lasted me for several months.

They'll* even throw in several thousand text
messages and a whole day's worth of voice calls :-)

That's of no interest. I don't want it for a phone - I want it for my
MiFi-type device.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old April 29th 14, 12:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 29/04/2014 08:44, Pete Forman wrote:
writes:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...

Roger Mills wrote:

As many people will know, Samba went down the tubes today. In case
you hadn't heard of it, this was a service which provided free mobile
internet bandwidth which you "earned" by watching adverts

OK, that's the past - what of the future?

I don't mean to sound harsh, but is a paying a tenner a month for 1GB
of data really too much? They'll* even throw in several thousand text
messages and a whole day's worth of voice calls :-)

[*] Tesco.

Does Tesco mobile allow tethering? I can't find any mention on their
web site, either allowing or prohibiting tethering.

MobiData charge just under 5 for 1 GB / month on a 1 month rolling
contract.

http://mobi-data.co.uk/plans-and-pricing.php

Thanks - I'll have a look. But I don't really want a contract - I just
want to be able to buy an amount of data, which I can keep using until
it is all used up - without expiring after 30 days or whatever.
--
Cheers,
Roger