Eggs in one basket with a Three mobile / dongle

Old May 2nd 14, 06:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CJB

Default Eggs in one basket with a Three mobile / dongle

Huh - a few years ago I ditched my landline service with BT. This was due to numerous disconnections and faults that rendered browsing the web with broadband a waste of time.

So I switched to using a Three dongle. I live in a flat at the top of a block near a major UK Airport. I get 5 bars. The Three dashboard on Windows connects OK. The dongle has a light blue light indicating a connection to the mast / server / router - whatever.

And it all used to be fine a year ago, and browsing the web was a fairly reliable and speedy experience.

However now when Three's home page is requested all I get is "Resolving host ..." and then "No Internet Connection Is Available."

This is now consistent, repeatable, and almost permanent. Three still charges me for the non-existent service - of course ...

Incidentally all works well in a speeding train commuting from London to Brighton (except through tunnels) - in a way I find that to be a miracle of technology.

But what's wrong with living near a major Airport - I would have thought that there all services would be second to none. But this sporadic 'available' v.v. 'outage' (mainly the latter) indicates a major problem somewhere about which Three seems to be doing nothing.

So my dilemma right now is whether to try and continue trying to use a dongle at home, or going back to a landline.

The risk to me was putting all of my web eggs into the dongle basket and ditching the landline. I guess it might have been better to have both!

C.J.Brady
Old May 2nd 14, 08:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

CJB wrote:
[...]

There's no good reason why a landline should continue to have
disconnections and faults.

Get a land line service with ADSL from a reputable supplier, install a
router that gives good diagnostics, provides syslog output, and will
work with RouterStats.

Also make sure all your internal wiring is implemented correctly. If
you still have problems keep on at your ISP and follow their diagnostic
instructions.

Don't underestimate the importance of the term "reputable supplier"!
Such suppliers include Andrews & Arnold, and Zen Internet; but not BT
(even though it will probably be BT's Openreach who actually install and
maintain the service).

Given that you live at the top of a block of flats you may find that the
phone wiring bringing the service from the street-level BT distribution
cabinet into the building is not up to scratch because of the way that
the builder installed the cables. If so, when you order the new
landline, tell the supplier (insist!) that there is no service in your
premises and that you require an engineer visit to install new wiring.
Be prepared to take time off work to meet the installation engineer and
supervise his work.

--
Graham J
Old May 2nd 14, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flop

On 02/05/2014 06:10, CJB wrote:
[...]

I wonder if it is a 'line of sight' problem.

I was told a story about someone installing a television aerial. A bit
iffy on the roof because of the fog but he had a meter and could get a
good signal.

Three days later, the television lost all its channels.

The reception returned but soon disappeared again.

The engineer returned, re-aligned the aerial and all was happy ever after.

The cause of the problem was that he had originally lined the aerial
with a gasometer in the fog and was getting a reflected signal. When the
gas holder went down, so did reception.

In your case, is it possible that something has been constructed between
your flat and the mast?

--

Flop

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children
Old May 2nd 14, 07:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Flop" wrote in message
On 02/05/2014 06:10, CJB wrote:
[...]

In which case it should find another mast.

Old May 3rd 14, 08:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

Graham J presented the following explanation :
when you order the new landline, tell the supplier (insist!) that there is no
service in your premises and that you require an engineer visit to install
new wiring.

Openreach are currently trialling ignoring this request for a forced
provision and, if they have record of a stopped line to restart, that
is what they'll do....unless the supplier requests an extension or
block terminal, or specifies another "additional site visit reason"
such as no internal wiring exists.

Beware, an additional site visit reason may be chargeable!

Old May 4th 14, 08:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Jono wrote:
Graham J presented the following explanation :
when you order the new landline, tell the supplier (insist!) that
there is no service in your premises and that you require an engineer
visit to install new wiring.

Openreach are currently trialling ignoring this request for a forced
provision and, if they have record of a stopped line to restart, that is
what they'll do....unless the supplier requests an extension or block
terminal, or specifies another "additional site visit reason" such as no
internal wiring exists.

Beware, an additional site visit reason may be chargeable!

If in reality no internal wiring exists (which the OP could easily
arrange in such a way that there is no indication of there ever having
been any) then Openreach would connect everything at the exchange and
expect the service to be working.

The OP could then report a fault "no dial tone" and when the OR engineer
arrives he will see that the reason for no dial tone is "no wiring" so
will presumably be forced to install some, and blame OR's recordkeeping.

??????

--
Graham J