4G newbie

Old May 12th 14, 11:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tg

Default 4G newbie

is 4G a symmetric service? if the connection was say 20Mb/sec download what
would be the upload be on that? I've got 4G in mind for a video streaming
project so the upload is very important.
I've looked online but can't find this info and tried ringing 4G providers
but they either never answer ('you are being held in a queue') or the guy
that does answer is a dip**** and doesn't know anything about anything.
Thanks for any advice.

Old May 12th 14, 02:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 12/05/14 11:18, tg wrote:
is 4G a symmetric service? if the connection was say 20Mb/sec download what
would be the upload be on that? I've got 4G in mind for a video
streaming project so the upload is very important.
I've looked online but can't find this info and tried ringing 4G providers
but they either never answer ('you are being held in a queue') or the guy
that does answer is a dip**** and doesn't know anything about anything.
Thanks for any advice.

mm. a bit more reading seems to show that it is conceived as an
asymmetric service from the get go.

So the answer is a definitive no.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Old May 12th 14, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

On 12/05/14 11:18, tg wrote:
is 4G a symmetric service? if the connection was say 20Mb/sec download
what
would be the upload be on that? I've got 4G in mind for a video
streaming project so the upload is very important.
I've looked online but can't find this info and tried ringing 4G
providers
but they either never answer ('you are being held in a queue') or the guy
that does answer is a dip**** and doesn't know anything about anything.
Thanks for any advice.

mm. a bit more reading seems to show that it is conceived as an asymmetric
service from the get go.

So the answer is a definitive no.

If you can get 20 Mbps (or even a few Mbps, like ADSL) from mobile
broadband, then you are VERY VERY lucky. I would kill for a mobile service
round here which was even vaguely usable - eg consistently 1 Mbps down / 0.5
Mbps up. Even in the centre of market towns and the surrounding housing
estates, it is rare to get the "G" light on my phone, indicating 3G.

You'd think that trunk A roads would have reasonable internet and mobile
reception, but no, it's very patchy for both.

I really wish mobile phone companies, preferably out of choice, but failing
that out of compulsion, would improve the baseline coverage to give mobile
phone and 1 Mbps down / 0.5 Mbps up internet for all built-up areas (ie
streets without houses on, in or on the outskirts of towns and villages).
Only when they have brought everyone up to that minimum standard should they
considering giving people in large towns and cities an even faster,
ADSL/VDSL-equivalent service. And that 4G should be in addition to any
existing service - I've heard of cases in cities where people with phones
that can only manage 3G get a worse service afterwards because 3G is turned
off when 4G is turned on.

Old May 12th 14, 08:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_2_]

tg wrote:

is 4G a symmetric service? if the connection was say 20Mb/sec download what
would be the upload be on that?

In short it varies. Best I've had is 37.1Mbps down 14.8Mbps up

Coverage is also variable, but existence or non existence of 3G is not a
good guide to 4G coverage, e.g. at home 3G was not worth bothering with,
I left my last phone on 2G mode unless I knew I was in a good 3G area,
now with a 4G phone and zero or one bar of 4G I can get 11Mbps download.

Old May 12th 14, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

NY (for it is he) wrote:

"G" light on my phone, indicating 3G.

On every phone I've had, G means GPRS, ie not 3G.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:09:43 up 130 days, 22:48, 9 users, load average: 0.66, 0.57, 0.43

Old May 12th 14, 09:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tg

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
tg wrote:

is 4G a symmetric service? if the connection was say 20Mb/sec download
what
would be the upload be on that?

In short it varies. Best I've had is 37.1Mbps down 14.8Mbps up

Coverage is also variable, but existence or non existence of 3G is not a
good guide to 4G coverage, e.g. at home 3G was not worth bothering with, I
left my last phone on 2G mode unless I knew I was in a good 3G area, now
with a 4G phone and zero or one bar of 4G I can get 11Mbps download.

ok so it would seem 4G upload is half the download, which is something to go
on. I'm uploading an rtsp stream so would need a minimum of 4Mbps upload
which means I 'might' be safe. Thanks.

Old May 13th 14, 08:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 12/05/14 21:20, tg wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
tg wrote:

is 4G a symmetric service? if the connection was say 20Mb/sec download
what
would be the upload be on that?

In short it varies. Best I've had is 37.1Mbps down 14.8Mbps up

Coverage is also variable, but existence or non existence of 3G is not a
good guide to 4G coverage, e.g. at home 3G was not worth bothering
with, I
left my last phone on 2G mode unless I knew I was in a good 3G area, now
with a 4G phone and zero or one bar of 4G I can get 11Mbps download.

ok so it would seem 4G upload is half the download, which is something
to go
on. I'm uploading an rtsp stream so would need a minimum of 4Mbps upload
which means I 'might' be safe. Thanks.

I think the 4G spec goes up to about 16Mbps and download in excess of
100Mbps.

Nothing is guaranteed. Best efforts.

In a sense the 4G space is the congested channel; as you share it with
as many other users as are attached to whatever node you are using.

Also, the distance from the transmitter dictates the SNR and hence the
final bit rate for device can ultimately sustain.

Old May 13th 14, 11:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"tg" wrote in message
is 4G a symmetric service? if the connection was say 20Mb/sec download
what
would be the upload be on that? I've got 4G in mind for a video streaming
project so the upload is very important.
I've looked online but can't find this info and tried ringing 4G providers
but they either never answer ('you are being held in a queue') or the guy
that does answer is a dip**** and doesn't know anything about anything.
Thanks for any advice.

It is asymmetric AFAICR. Up to 50Mbps down, but less up. Due to double in
future.

It was the same for 3G which was ~14M4bps down, but about half that up.

The main reason AIUI (in 3G) is that the basestation is in charge of its own
transmission and knows exactly when it can transmit, but the mobile stations
could be some distance from the base station and need to have a guard period
so they don't stamp over the next transmission. This also results in the
(normal 3G) range limit of 35km

Old May 20th 14, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 12/05/2014 21:20, tg wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
tg wrote:

is 4G a symmetric service? if the connection was say 20Mb/sec download
what
would be the upload be on that?

In short it varies. Best I've had is 37.1Mbps down 14.8Mbps up

Coverage is also variable, but existence or non existence of 3G is not a
good guide to 4G coverage, e.g. at home 3G was not worth bothering
with, I
left my last phone on 2G mode unless I knew I was in a good 3G area, now
with a 4G phone and zero or one bar of 4G I can get 11Mbps download.

ok so it would seem 4G upload is half the download, which is something
to go
on. I'm uploading an rtsp stream so would need a minimum of 4Mbps upload
which means I 'might' be safe. Thanks.

Looking at my speedtest history, the best I've had is 35.51Mbps down and
22.38Mbps up. With good 4G reception, my upload is frequently 'better'
than that of my 80/20 FTTC lines at home.

Old May 20th 14, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_2_]

Plusnet Support Team wrote:

Looking at my speedtest history, the best I've had is 35.51Mbps down and
22.38Mbps up.

I recently "beat" my previous 4G score ... 49.9Mbps down, 17.3Mbps up.