Disappearing Email

Old May 21st 14, 09:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

Default Disappearing Email

A friend has asked for advice in respect of emails she has sent which
don't bounce but seem to disappear into thin air. Even when she uses
"reply" the email doesn't seem to arrive.

I have always worked on the basis an email is either delivered or bounced
but perhaps that's naive.

Any thoughts on what may be happening to these emails? I guess it's
possible they are arriving but being diverted into a big spam bin.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
I take full responsibility for what happened - that is why the person that
Old May 21st 14, 11:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

On 21/05/2014 09:14, Jeff Gaines wrote:

A friend has asked for advice in respect of emails she has sent which
don't bounce but seem to disappear into thin air. Even when she uses
"reply" the email doesn't seem to arrive.

I have always worked on the basis an email is either delivered or
bounced but perhaps that's naive.

Any thoughts on what may be happening to these emails? I guess it's
possible they are arriving but being diverted into a big spam bin.

These days some destinations drop emails from certain common sources of
spam silently onto the floor. Without knowing source and destination
ISPs it is impossible to comment further. Collateral damage is common.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old May 21st 14, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flyig u 214 + on desktop

Jeff Gaines wrote:
A friend has asked for advice in respect of emails she has sent which
don't bounce but seem to disappear into thin air. Even when she uses
"reply" the email doesn't seem to arrive.

I have always worked on the basis an email is either delivered or
bounced but perhaps that's naive.

Any thoughts on what may be happening to these emails? I guess it's
possible they are arriving but being diverted into a big spam bin.

I've been wondering about that too. I received or rather didn't receive
an email from youngest last week. When we conversed at the weekend he
asked why I hadn't replied to it and I checked all my inboxes and had
never received it. He then repoasted it to the same address he'd used
before and it arrived almost instantaneously. I use an old version of
Mailwasher Pro which allows you to preview incoming mail direct from the
mail server without actually downloading it to your mailbox. I have on
occasions previewed mail and decided to download it, but it appears to
be stuck on the server and just doesn't download to my mail client. I
was wondering if there was some filter somewhere along the line that is
protecting me from spam, viruses, malware or the like. However if this
was the case I would have expected some error message informing of it.
Luckily Mailwasher allows you to send a 'quick' reply so I request that
the sender resends the mail, and when that arrives it downloads to my
mail client without a problem.
--
Heard melodies are sweet but those Unheard are sweeter
FN 214+. Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland

Old May 21st 14, 01:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

"Jeff Gaines" wrote:

A friend has asked for advice in respect of emails she has sent which
don't bounce but seem to disappear into thin air. Even when she uses
"reply" the email doesn't seem to arrive.

They're maybe not even being sent. If she uses a mail client on her own
computer it might have a log file which would show whether the outgoing mail
is properly being handed over to the SMTP server. You'd hope that a failure
at that stage would result in an error message which a user would see,
and/or the outgoing mail still being in the client's send queue.

I have no idea whether webmail systems have a similar mechanism.

If she doesn't already do so, she should CC or BCC such mails to herself. At
least if she then gets her copy back she'll know the message did get sent
ok, and there might be a clue inside an incoming copy about (at least)
inital spam scanning.

She could also set up a free email address with some other provider, and
CC/BCC the trouble some mails there, again to see if they arrive AND what
their headers show for spam scans etc en-route.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Old May 21st 14, 05:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flop

On 21/05/2014 09:14, Jeff Gaines wrote:

A friend has asked for advice in respect of emails she has sent which
don't bounce but seem to disappear into thin air. Even when she uses
"reply" the email doesn't seem to arrive.

I have always worked on the basis an email is either delivered or
bounced but perhaps that's naive.

Any thoughts on what may be happening to these emails? I guess it's
possible they are arriving but being diverted into a big spam bin.

iMessage?

http://macdailynews.com/2014/05/17/a...ndroid-phones/

--

Flop

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children
Old May 21st 14, 11:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

On 21/05/2014 09:14, Jeff Gaines wrote:

A friend has asked for advice in respect of emails she has sent which
don't bounce but seem to disappear into thin air. Even when she uses
"reply" the email doesn't seem to arrive.

I have always worked on the basis an email is either delivered or
bounced but perhaps that's naive.

Any thoughts on what may be happening to these emails? I guess it's
possible they are arriving but being diverted into a big spam bin.

If the DNS name after the @ sign is not matched I think in general the
email is returned to sender.

If the DNS name is matched and the part before the @ sign is not matched
then whether the sender gets the email back just depends on how the
recipient email server behaves.

IME!

If your friend can send some emails OK then I suggest that you look more
closely at those that have apparently not arrived.

--
Michael Chare
Old May 22nd 14, 08:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

On 21/05/2014 23:31, Michael Chare wrote:
On 21/05/2014 09:14, Jeff Gaines wrote:

A friend has asked for advice in respect of emails she has sent which
don't bounce but seem to disappear into thin air. Even when she uses
"reply" the email doesn't seem to arrive.

I have always worked on the basis an email is either delivered or
bounced but perhaps that's naive.

Any thoughts on what may be happening to these emails? I guess it's
possible they are arriving but being diverted into a big spam bin.

If the DNS name after the @ sign is not matched I think in general the
email is returned to sender.

If the DNS name is matched and the part before the @ sign is not matched
then whether the sender gets the email back just depends on how the
recipient email server behaves.

IME!

There are quite a few other cases where the recipient exists but some
intervening antispam filter or agent rejects it either on content or
headers being suspected of being spam or from a blacklisted ISP.

Demons mailservers have managed to get blacklisted a few times and I
have had mails to Yahoo BT go missing. Equally some genuine mails from
BT/Yahoo manage to look forged and could trigger Bayesian spam filters.

If your friend can send some emails OK then I suggest that you look more
closely at those that have apparently not arrived.

In particular their destination and then CC them to another email
address under your control as a check they are leaving the local PC.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old May 22nd 14, 11:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
S Viemeister

On 5/22/2014 3:22 AM, Martin Brown wrote:

Demons mailservers have managed to get blacklisted a few times and I
have had mails to Yahoo BT go missing. Equally some genuine mails from
BT/Yahoo manage to look forged and could trigger Bayesian spam filters.

BT Yahoo silently disposed of emails from American Express - I had to
use a different address for them. And a number of BT emails have been
dumped into my spam bucket - by BT...

Old May 22nd 14, 02:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On Thu, 22 May 2014 06:21:30 -0400, S Viemeister
wrote:

On 5/22/2014 3:22 AM, Martin Brown wrote:

Demons mailservers have managed to get blacklisted a few times and I
have had mails to Yahoo BT go missing. Equally some genuine mails from
BT/Yahoo manage to look forged and could trigger Bayesian spam filters.

Yahoo are hopeless, see below ...

BT Yahoo silently disposed of emails from American Express - I had to
use a different address for them. And a number of BT emails have been
dumped into my spam bucket - by BT...

I've just recently had an absurd problem where every time I tried to
send via Yahoo, the mail was rejected, saying that either it was
suspected as being spam or that I was suspected of being a spam
source. Considering that this was the first time I'd tried to use the
account in over a year, the latter hardly seemed credible, and the
mail contained no reason for the former - it was simply a request to
a former employment agency to delete all my records, listing about
four to six email addresses that I might have been using at the
considerable time ago that I was last looking for employment.

I discovered later that it was this list of email addresses that was
the problem, but that was only after being told to change my password,
reset my password, check my account details, blah blah, many times
over - it was clear that support staff were continuously reading
from a support manual without ever engaging whatever passes for a
brain in that particular species.

Eventually I said that I had no desire to have an account run by such
a load of brainless morons, and closed the account, it being simply
the easiest thing to do. Only some time later did I get an email
explaining what the real problem had been.