"Cease and Reprovide"

Old May 21st 14, 03:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Default "Cease and Reprovide"

Please can somebody explain what a "Cease and Reprovide" actually does?

I've had an ISP explain that BT hve performed a "Cease and Reprovide"
simply in order to reset the BRAS profile following a period of poor
performance caused by a faulty router that has now been replaced.

TIA

-- Graham J
Old May 21st 14, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 21/05/2014 15:35, Graham J wrote:
Please can somebody explain what a "Cease and Reprovide" actually does?

I've had an ISP explain that BT hve performed a "Cease and Reprovide"
simply in order to reset the BRAS profile following a period of poor
performance caused by a faulty router that has now been replaced.

I suspect they'll have moved you to a different DSLAM/MSAN line
card/port at the exchange.

Old May 21st 14, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Plusnet Support Team wrote:
On 21/05/2014 15:35, Graham J wrote:
Please can somebody explain what a "Cease and Reprovide" actually does?

I've had an ISP explain that BT hve performed a "Cease and Reprovide"
simply in order to reset the BRAS profile following a period of poor
performance caused by a faulty router that has now been replaced.

I suspect they'll have moved you to a different DSLAM/MSAN line
card/port at the exchange.

Would that explain why there's now no ADSL signal whatever on the line?
Or would that failure be caused by incompetence somewhere?

--
Graham J

Old May 21st 14, 07:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Graham J" [email protected] wrote in message
Plusnet Support Team wrote:
On 21/05/2014 15:35, Graham J wrote:
Please can somebody explain what a "Cease and Reprovide" actually does?

I've had an ISP explain that BT hve performed a "Cease and Reprovide"
simply in order to reset the BRAS profile following a period of poor
performance caused by a faulty router that has now been replaced.

I suspect they'll have moved you to a different DSLAM/MSAN line
card/port at the exchange.

Would that explain why there's now no ADSL signal whatever on the line? Or
would that failure be caused by incompetence somewhere?

It will be the way the cease and re-provide has been structured.

Best thing to do is contact your service provider as soon as possible just
to make sure that the provision hasn't been delayed (by anything up to 7
days).

Old May 21st 14, 08:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Plusnet Support Team wrote:
On 21/05/2014 15:35, Graham J wrote:
Please can somebody explain what a "Cease and Reprovide" actually does?

I've had an ISP explain that BT hve performed a "Cease and Reprovide"
simply in order to reset the BRAS profile following a period of poor
performance caused by a faulty router that has now been replaced.

I suspect they'll have moved you to a different DSLAM/MSAN line
card/port at the exchange.

Would that explain why there's now no ADSL signal whatever on the line? Or
would that failure be caused by incompetence somewhere?

It will be the way the cease and re-provide has been structured.

Best thing to do is contact your service provider as soon as possible just
to make sure that the provision hasn't been delayed (by anything up to 7
days).

Openreach is sending out an engineer tomorrow afternoon, at ISP's request.

My suspicion is that the engineer will find that the exchange equipment
has not been configured correctly.

All my previous experience with a variety of ISPs is that the BRAS
profile reset can be achieved without a "Cease and Reprovide". However
the ISP has this from Openreach (and I quote):

"... the reason for the cease and re-provide was because when BT
performed a line test an authentication issue was identified, it was
escalated internally and BT then performed the cease and re-provide."

I think my suspicion of incompetence stands.

--
Graham J

Old May 21st 14, 09:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Graham J (for it is he) wrote:

"... the reason for the cease and re-provide was because when BT
performed a line test an authentication issue was identified, it was
escalated internally and BT then performed the cease and re-provide."

I think my suspicion of incompetence stands.

I can think of an explanation for this - ordering the circuit with the wrong
realm on it [bit after the @ in the username]. Doesn't seem like the sort of
thing that would just 'happen' to an otherwise OK line, however.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:15:05 up 139 days, 22:53, 9 users, load average: 0.60, 0.48, 0.46

Old May 22nd 14, 12:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fred

In article , alexd
writes
Graham J (for it is he) wrote:

"... the reason for the cease and re-provide was because when BT
performed a line test an authentication issue was identified, it was
escalated internally and BT then performed the cease and re-provide."

I think my suspicion of incompetence stands.

I can think of an explanation for this - ordering the circuit with the wrong
realm on it [bit after the @ in the username]. Doesn't seem like the sort of
thing that would just 'happen' to an otherwise OK line, however.

I have experienced a f'ckd up transfer in the past where 2 sets of ADSL
exchange equipment (1 BT & 1 LLU) ended up connected to my line, causing
'authentication' problems. Took an initially sceptical but dedicated
ADSL tech quite a while to trace and sort it.

I could see a physical cease and reprovide been a more official way to
try and get round a similar sort of problem.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Old May 22nd 14, 02:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 21/05/2014 21:16, alexd wrote:
Graham J (for it is he) wrote:

"... the reason for the cease and re-provide was because when BT
performed a line test an authentication issue was identified, it was
escalated internally and BT then performed the cease and re-provide."

I think my suspicion of incompetence stands.

I can think of an explanation for this - ordering the circuit with the wrong
realm on it [bit after the @ in the username]. Doesn't seem like the sort of
thing that would just 'happen' to an otherwise OK line, however.

Ordering a circuit with the wrong realm should just require a modify
order to remedy, rather than a complete cease/reprovide.

The fact the OP has no sync is certainly indicative of a 'cease' though

Old May 22nd 14, 05:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

Plusnet Support Team wrote:
[...]

More likely not connected at all, as I've already stated it will all depend
on how the cease and reprovide has been actioned. To change exchange
equipment all you have to raise is a lift and shift, which can be arranged
by a engineer whilst on a fault.

All my previous experience with a variety of ISPs is that the BRAS profile
reset can be achieved without a "Cease and Reprovide". However the ISP
has this from Openreach (and I quote):

"... the reason for the cease and re-provide was because when BT performed
a line test an authentication issue was identified, it was escalated
internally and BT then performed the cease and re-provide."

I think my suspicion of incompetence stands.

It's starting to become more and more probable

Old May 22nd 14, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Plusnet Support Team wrote:
On 21/05/2014 15:35, Graham J wrote:
Please can somebody explain what a "Cease and Reprovide" actually
does?

I've had an ISP explain that BT have performed a "Cease and Reprovide"
[...]

BT engineer arrived, spent 20 minutes confirming that there really was
no ADSL signal.

Went to local green cabinet to check there, saying he would go to
exchange if nothing at cabinet.

2 hours later he returns! Says he could find no ADSL signal at the
exchange, so had to apply for a lift and shift. The cables he had to
disconnect were buried under other cables so clearly had not been moved
recently.

Connected his tester: FEC count in tens and rising, CRC count in single
figures.

Connected my router (Vigor 2800): up=800k down=4100k snr=6dB, loss=51dB
Uncorrected error count rising at tens per second.
Tried to measure download speed - too slow to get www.speedtest.net
Router then re-syncs, now up=800k down=4100k snr=8dB, loss=51dB
Uncorrected error count continues to rise.
Speed measurement: down about 400kbits/sec, up about 500kbits/sec
Engineer says ISP will have to reset the profile.

Connection drops several times.
Engineeer rings to arrange increase in SNR margin, first to 9dB then
12dB; and enable interleaving. Down sync speed reduces to 3500kbits sec
(and up reduces to about 650kbits/sec)

Speed test marginally better: down speed now about 500kbits/sec.

Router now shows corrected errors rising at tens per second, uncorrected
errors at one or two per second.

Previous experience with Vigor routers show that they don't tolerate
large numbers of corrected errors (they appear to lock up with the
processing overhead).

So replace with TP link TD-W8960N. Corrected errors continue rising at
tens per second, uncorrected errors at one or two per second; but I know
this router tolerates this level of errors.

BT Engineer connects his laptop, opens his VPN, and starts writing his
job report. As he finishes, he closes the job and arranges his next
call. At that point (this is after about 18 minutes connection) the
connection drops. We wait 2 minutes, no attempt by router to re-sync.
Engineer reconnects his tester; after about 3 minutes it starts to sync
then shows similar connection speed and error performance as before.
Because he has closed the job he cannot now stay to investigate the
cause of this failure; so I reconnect my TP-Link router and engineer leaves.

Engineer was very diligent, but his test equipment did not allow him to
find the cause of the noise. Also, I'm surprised that his training
appeared to suggest that he should ignore the quickly rising FEC count.

--
Graham J