Virgin Media and IPV6

Old June 8th 14, 01:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Optimist

Default Virgin Media and IPV6

A few months ago, I could reach IPV6 sites via my Virgin Media cable connection. Now this is no
longer possible, it appears that VM has withdrawn the facility - why?
Old June 8th 14, 03:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Sun, 08 Jun 2014 13:08:27 +0100, Optimist
wrote:

A few months ago, I could reach IPV6 sites via my Virgin Media cable connection. Now this is no
longer possible, it appears that VM has withdrawn the facility - why?

Perhaps they were just testing it? In order to implement a thing like
this fully they'd have to update all their routers and diagnostic
software and retrain their staff. If I were planning such a thing I
might want to do a feasibility study first on part of the network so
the service could be made available to all customers at the same time.
Just guessing.

Rod.
Old June 8th 14, 03:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Optimist

wrote:

A few months ago, I could reach IPV6 sites via my Virgin Media cable connection. Now this is no
longer possible, it appears that VM has withdrawn the facility - why?

Perhaps they were just testing it? In order to implement a thing like
this fully they'd have to update all their routers and diagnostic
software and retrain their staff. If I were planning such a thing I
might want to do a feasibility study first on part of the network so
the service could be made available to all customers at the same time.
Just guessing.

Rod.

That's a possibility, thanks.
Old June 8th 14, 05:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

wrote:

A few months ago, I could reach IPV6 sites via my Virgin Media cable connection. Now this is no
longer possible, it appears that VM has withdrawn the facility - why?

Perhaps they were just testing it? In order to implement a thing like
this fully they'd have to update all their routers and diagnostic
software and retrain their staff. If I were planning such a thing I
might want to do a feasibility study first on part of the network so
the service could be made available to all customers at the same time.
Just guessing.

Do any of us have that yet ?

--
:: Jim,

NHS Health Database Sale Opt-out form:

http://www.thebigoptout.com/opt-out-letter/
Old June 9th 14, 08:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

A few months ago, I could reach IPV6 sites via my Virgin Media
cable connection. Now this is noonger possible, it appears that VM
has withdrawn the facility - why?

To support IPv6 the cable modem would need DHCPv6, and I've never seen that.

Just install the free Ayiya client from https://www.sixxs.net/ and you'll
get a free IPv6 tunnel, there are several UK POPs.

Angus

Old June 9th 14, 08:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Optimist

On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 08:18 +0100 (BST), (Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd)
wrote:

A few months ago, I could reach IPV6 sites via my Virgin Media
cable connection. Now this is noonger possible, it appears that VM
has withdrawn the facility - why?

To support IPv6 the cable modem would need DHCPv6, and I've never seen that.

Well until a few weeks ago, I could access IPv6 websites via my 9-year-old NTL cable modem.

Just install the free Ayiya client from
https://www.sixxs.net/ and you'll
get a free IPv6 tunnel, there are several UK POPs.

Angus

Thanks, but why should I - I pay my ISP to connect me to the whole internet, not just the IPV4
parts.

VM's "reasoning" for not providing connectivity is that they have enough IPV4 addresses currently to
service their own customers. That's like a phone company saying there are sufficient 01
geographical numbers in your area, so we won't allow you to call 02 numbers.

Old June 9th 14, 09:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory

wrote:

[...]

Not really. Because while we are in the transition phase everything is
supposed to be accessible via both IPv4 and IPv6.

The only things that are IPv6 only should be test pages etc. where you
need one page for IPv4 and a different one for IPv6.

--

Brian Gregory (in the UK).
Old June 9th 14, 10:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Optimist

wrote:

[...]

Are there no websites in the world which are IPV6 only?
Old June 9th 14, 11:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Mon, 09 Jun 2014 10:21:00 +0100, Optimist
wrote:

VM's "reasoning" for not providing connectivity is that they have enough IPV4 addresses currently to
service their own customers. That's like a phone company saying there are sufficient 01
geographical numbers in your area, so we won't allow you to call 02 numbers.

I think the reason why practically nobody is offering IPv6 is that
there's hardly any equipment for it and everything we've already got
is working satisfactorily as it is.

Not really. Because while we are in the transition phase everything is
supposed to be accessible via both IPv4 and IPv6.

The only things that are IPv6 only should be test pages etc. where you
need one page for IPv4 and a different one for IPv6.

Are there no websites in the world which are IPV6 only?

How would we know? Presumably IPv6 websites are listed in IPv6
nameservers, so those of us with IPv4 equipment (i.e. nearly all of
us) would be unable to see them.

Rod.
Old June 9th 14, 11:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory

wrote:

[...]

There may be some, but anyone with any sense wouldn't do that since only
a tiny percentage of the internet has access to IPv6.

--

Brian Gregory (in the UK).