Recovery from broadband failure

Old June 18th 14, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

Default Recovery from broadband failure

I can't find an answer to this. If fibre broadband fails is it
necessary to restart the modem and/or router and/or PC or will it
recover automatically once the broadband is restored?
Old June 18th 14, 09:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 18/06/14 21:28, Scott wrote:
I can't find an answer to this. If fibre broadband fails is it
necessary to restart the modem and/or router and/or PC or will it
recover automatically once the broadband is restored?

should recover automatically.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Old June 18th 14, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 21:30:24 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 18/06/14 21:28, Scott wrote:
I can't find an answer to this. If fibre broadband fails is it
necessary to restart the modem and/or router and/or PC or will it
recover automatically once the broadband is restored?

should recover automatically.

Thanks for the rapid response. Your broadband is clearly working
okay!
Old June 18th 14, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

On 18/06/14 21:28, Scott wrote:
I can't find an answer to this. If fibre broadband fails is it
necessary to restart the modem and/or router and/or PC or will it
recover automatically once the broadband is restored?

should recover automatically.

Unless it is the modem that has crashed. The faster things get the more
prone to having occasional SNAFUs they seem to become.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old June 19th 14, 08:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Scott wrote:
I can't find an answer to this. If fibre broadband fails is it
necessary to restart the modem and/or router and/or PC or will it
recover automatically once the broadband is restored?

Depends how it fails.

The conventional configuration at the customer end is:

1) fibre arrives at street cabinet

2) is converted to VDSL in a sort of DSLAM, and delivered over copper

3) copper arrives in customer premises, and connects to VDSL modem
provided by BT

4) Router (provided by customer) receives signal on WAN port via Ethernet

5) your PC connects to Router's LAN port (either by Ethernet or WiFi)

----------------

If the fibre fails your router will report no PPP connection. You can
find this out by monitoring the status page in the router. Some routers
will indicate this via LEDs. Depending on the router, it may be
necessary to restart it to invoke a new PPP connection, but unlikely.
If the router itself is the cause of failure you might have to replace it.

If your PC can see the router's status page it should not be necessary
to restart the PC once the router indicates that the PPP connection is
good. Of course if your PC is misconfigured all bets are off.

If your ISP operates many DNS servers, several of which might be out of
action at any one time (as is apparently true for BT) it may be necesary
to reboot the router and/or your PC even if the fibre connection has not
actually failed.

The VDSL modem may also have LEDs which indicate whether it has sync -
this of course is only sync with the DSLAM in the street cabinet. It
may be necessary to restart it to achieve sync after a failure
elsewhere. If the VDSL modem is the cause of the failure you might have
to get BT to replace it.

You can get routers which have the VDSL modem integrated, but I don't
think any ISP will agree to you using one; they insist that for them to
provide technical support you must use the BT VDSL modem. These
integrated routers might give some performance parameters for the VDSL
modem (sync speed, noise margin, attenuation); and this information
might be useful in identifying unreliabilities in the copper connection
to the street cabinet. Such unreliabilities (intermittent joints,
crossed pairs, crosstalk, RFI, and the like) are just as likely to occur
as with the longer copper run used by ADSL. BT do not appear to provide
this information from their VDSL modem, and I've never known a VDSL
installation engineer attempt to obtain these details. However for ADSL
an engineer attending to resolve a fault will bring test equipment to
show the line performance. Maybe others can report whether BT engineers
carry and know how to use VDSL testgear.

So there is no simple answer ..

--
Graham J

Old June 19th 14, 08:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_2_]

Graham J wrote:

You can get routers which have the VDSL modem integrated, but I don't
think any ISP will agree to you using one; they insist that for them to
provide technical support you must use the BT VDSL modem.

Officially correct, but with a nod and a wink you could use your own
integrated router and keep the modem on a shelf somewhere in case you
have problems and need to re-install it for an official support visit.

Old June 19th 14, 09:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 08:33:43 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Graham J wrote:

You can get routers which have the VDSL modem integrated, but I don't
think any ISP will agree to you using one; they insist that for them to
provide technical support you must use the BT VDSL modem.

Officially correct, but with a nod and a wink you could use your own
integrated router and keep the modem on a shelf somewhere in case you
have problems and need to re-install it for an official support visit.

IIRC Plusnet were considering offerring a VDSL router.

I believe you can hack the BT modem to get stats but I haven't tried
it.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Old June 19th 14, 10:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

wrote:

Graham J wrote:

You can get routers which have the VDSL modem integrated, but I don't
think any ISP will agree to you using one; they insist that for them to
provide technical support you must use the BT VDSL modem.

Officially correct, but with a nod and a wink you could use your own
integrated router and keep the modem on a shelf somewhere in case you
have problems and need to re-install it for an official support visit.

IIRC Plusnet were considering offerring a VDSL router.

I believe you can hack the BT modem to get stats but I haven't tried
it.

Let us know when you do ...

--
Graham J

Old June 19th 14, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

wrote:

Graham J wrote:

You can get routers which have the VDSL modem integrated, but I don't
think any ISP will agree to you using one; they insist that for them to
provide technical support you must use the BT VDSL modem.

Officially correct, but with a nod and a wink you could use your own
integrated router and keep the modem on a shelf somewhere in case you
have problems and need to re-install it for an official support visit.

IIRC Plusnet were considering offerring a VDSL router.

I believe you can hack the BT modem to get stats but I haven't tried
it.

Let us know when you do ...

Fairly trivial if you've one of the older Huawei HG612's -
http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/about/

Not so if you've one of the newer ECI models -
http://hackingecibfocusv2fubirevb.wordpress.com/about/

Old June 19th 14, 03:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Graham J" wrote in message
[...]

I thought the separate modem-and-router configuration was no longer
necessary, just as installation of the VDSL modem (or integrated
modem-router) is no longer mandatory.

Certainly I've installed a VDSL modem/router for a customer. It was a BT
device (branded as a HomeHub), so maybe it's a special case.

So have any non-BT ISPs started supplying integrated modem/routers and
allowing customer installation of the equipment?