Wifi Extender to replace Powerline

Old June 24th 14, 10:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

Default Wifi Extender to replace Powerline

I currently use a pair of TP-Link Powerline adapters to feed the signal
from my garage camera to the home network, but due to the considerable
controversy surrounding any Homeplug's RF interference, I am looking for
a good Wifi extender.
I want a good reliable brand, easy to set up, with plenty of power, as
the signal needs to pass through several walls, and over-the-hill to
get to its final destination. My router, with which it will (hopefully)
communicate, is a Zen-supplied Thompson TG585.
Running a cable is a non-starter.
I see the most advertised brands to be TP-Link and Netgear; I'm sure
there are others, such as Addon, with whom I am totally unfamiliar.
In the accumulated experience of this group, what is the best unit to
buy?

The camera I am using, which is a small unit, and the Thompson do not
work well together now unless they are in the same room, but I would be
prepared to buy a better camera, or router. But how can I test the
strength of signal coming out of either the router or the camera, to
track down where the signal could be stronger?

One problem I have with the Powerline RF interference debate is the
different standards that are referred to:
The Powerline units refer to IEEE standards, whereas the 'Ban-all-PLT'
crowd always refer to EN55022, but I can find no way to compare them,
and neither mentions the others' standards.

--
Davey.
Old June 24th 14, 11:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Davey" wrote in message
[...]

Try contacting Solwise in Hull. They do some very good and
inexpensive pieces of kit that might do the job for you and
are not only very helpful but they also know what they are
talking about.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old June 24th 14, 11:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 11:32:36 +0100
"Woody" wrote:

"Davey" wrote in message
I currently use a pair of TP-Link Powerline adapters to
feed the signal
from my garage camera to the home network, but due to the
considerable
controversy surrounding any Homeplug's RF interference, I
am looking for
a good Wifi extender.

snip

Try contacting Solwise in Hull. They do some very good and
inexpensive pieces of kit that might do the job for you and
are not only very helpful but they also know what they are
talking about.

I see that they are very keen on selling Homeplug technology!

--
Davey.
Old June 24th 14, 12:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

On 24/06/2014 10:46, Davey wrote:
I currently use a pair of TP-Link Powerline adapters to feed the signal
from my garage camera to the home network, but due to the considerable
controversy surrounding any Homeplug's RF interference, I am looking for
a good Wifi extender.

Are you actually experiencing problems of RF interference with it or do
you belong to the tin foil hat wearing worried well?

I want a good reliable brand, easy to set up, with plenty of power, as
the signal needs to pass through several walls, and over-the-hill to
get to its final destination. My router, with which it will (hopefully)
communicate, is a Zen-supplied Thompson TG585.

Walls and roofs are doable but lack of a decent line of sight above
ground is a problem. A high gain antenna at one or both ends will get
you a decent link up to 300m from the router for about 40.

Running a cable is a non-starter.
I see the most advertised brands to be TP-Link and Netgear; I'm sure
there are others, such as Addon, with whom I am totally unfamiliar.
In the accumulated experience of this group, what is the best unit to
buy?

The camera I am using, which is a small unit, and the Thompson do not
work well together now unless they are in the same room, but I would be
prepared to buy a better camera, or router. But how can I test the
strength of signal coming out of either the router or the camera, to
track down where the signal could be stronger?

Any one of the various signal strength apps that monitor all frequencies
and display the SSIDs and signals they can see. Chances are you and all
your neighbours are all on the exactly same band.

AFAICT BT sits almost all its customers on 11 by default.

One problem I have with the Powerline RF interference debate is the
different standards that are referred to:
The Powerline units refer to IEEE standards, whereas the 'Ban-all-PLT'
crowd always refer to EN55022, but I can find no way to compare them,
and neither mentions the others' standards.

Why do you think you have a problem with powerline ethernet?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old June 24th 14, 02:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Jackson

In message , Davey
writes
[...]

All PLT devices have one thing in common, and that is that they are
unlikely themselves to cause interference. What causes the interference
is the RF radiation from the mains wiring. Any differences in the amount
of interference they are likely to cause depends essentially on the RF
spectrum they use, and the RF power level fed into the mains. These
days, they generally don't transmit (much power) in most of the amateur
bands (well, up to 30MHz), but that leaves the rest of the RF spectrum
vulnerable to being interfered with.
--
Ian
Old June 24th 14, 02:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 12:47:37 +0100
Martin Brown wrote:

On 24/06/2014 10:46, Davey wrote:
I currently use a pair of TP-Link Powerline adapters to feed the
signal from my garage camera to the home network, but due to the
considerable controversy surrounding any Homeplug's RF
interference, I am looking for a good Wifi extender.

Are you actually experiencing problems of RF interference with it or
do you belong to the tin foil hat wearing worried well?

None that I know of. But there is, according to the 'Ban-all-PLT'
website, and several folks on these NGs, a problem, so I am trying to
decipher what exactly, or even approximately, the actual level of the
problem is.

http://www.ban-plt.org.uk/

I want a good reliable brand, easy to set up, with plenty of power,
as the signal needs to pass through several walls, and
over-the-hill to get to its final destination. My router, with
which it will (hopefully) communicate, is a Zen-supplied Thompson
TG585.

Walls and roofs are doable but lack of a decent line of sight above
ground is a problem. A high gain antenna at one or both ends will get
you a decent link up to 300m from the router for about 40.

I can probably position the extender so that it is near a window, on
the side of the house nearest the garage, but it still won't be line of
sight. Crow-flying distance would be about 40'-50', I guess.

Running a cable is a non-starter.
I see the most advertised brands to be TP-Link and Netgear; I'm sure
there are others, such as Addon, with whom I am totally unfamiliar.
In the accumulated experience of this group, what is the best unit
to buy?

The camera I am using, which is a small unit, and the Thompson do
not work well together now unless they are in the same room, but I
would be prepared to buy a better camera, or router. But how can I
test the strength of signal coming out of either the router or the
camera, to track down where the signal could be stronger?

Any one of the various signal strength apps that monitor all
frequencies and display the SSIDs and signals they can see. Chances
are you and all your neighbours are all on the exactly same band.

AFAICT BT sits almost all its customers on 11 by default.

I'm with Zen, and I'm not sure what what you mean by 'band'. Otherwise,
I am beyond my knowledge here. And if the apps you refer to mean
something to work on a smartphone, no luck, mine is dumb, by choice.

One problem I have with the Powerline RF interference debate is the
different standards that are referred to:
The Powerline units refer to IEEE standards, whereas the
'Ban-all-PLT' crowd always refer to EN55022, but I can find no way
to compare them, and neither mentions the others' standards.

Why do you think you have a problem with powerline ethernet?

See above ref. to the 'Ban-all-PLT' website. It might be right, it might
be wrong, but there are enough other folks who agree that there is a
problem. I don't know, hence the questions.

--
Davey.

Old June 24th 14, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

Martin Brown wrote:

On 24/06/2014 10:46, Davey wrote:
I currently use a pair of TP-Link Powerline adapters to feed the
signal from my garage camera to the home network, but due to the
considerable controversy surrounding any Homeplug's RF
interference, I am looking for a good Wifi extender.

Are you actually experiencing problems of RF interference with it or
do you belong to the tin foil hat wearing worried well?

None that I know of. But there is, according to the 'Ban-all-PLT'
website, and several folks on these NGs, a problem, so I am trying to
decipher what exactly, or even approximately, the actual level of the
problem is.

http://www.ban-plt.org.uk/

RF leakage at about 2x the threshold level into the AM radio band
judging by the graphs in one of the reports I just scanned. If you
listen to AM radio then either you will have a problem or not.

My brother-in-law uses PLT and has some expensive sensitive tuners with
no signs at all of anything causing interference.

I want a good reliable brand, easy to set up, with plenty of power,
as the signal needs to pass through several walls, and
over-the-hill to get to its final destination. My router, with
which it will (hopefully) communicate, is a Zen-supplied Thompson
TG585.

Walls and roofs are doable but lack of a decent line of sight above
ground is a problem. A high gain antenna at one or both ends will get
you a decent link up to 300m from the router for about 40.

I can probably position the extender so that it is near a window, on
the side of the house nearest the garage, but it still won't be line of
sight. Crow-flying distance would be about 40'-50', I guess.

Direct line of sight will get you a lot more signal.

A passive cantenna pair along the way is supposed to get signals round
corners but I have never tried it.

[...]

I should probably have said "channel" to avoid confusing terminology. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

You can get PC ones. ISTR This one is fairly serviceable:

http://download.cnet.com/WirelessNet..._4-191039.html

Although there are much cuter ones on Android.

One problem I have with the Powerline RF interference debate is the
different standards that are referred to:
The Powerline units refer to IEEE standards, whereas the
'Ban-all-PLT' crowd always refer to EN55022, but I can find no way
to compare them, and neither mentions the others' standards.

Why do you think you have a problem with powerline ethernet?

See above ref. to the 'Ban-all-PLT' website. It might be right, it might
be wrong, but there are enough other folks who agree that there is a
problem. I don't know, hence the questions.

Unless you are a huge fan to receiving distant AM radio stations then I
would completely ignore that site. Bit like the banDHMO site for PLT.

http://dhmo.org/facts.html

Looks like moon howling kookery from the tin foil hat brigade to me.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old June 24th 14, 05:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
Unless you are a huge fan to receiving distant AM radio stations then I
would completely ignore that site. Bit like the ban DHMO site for PLT.

http://dhmo.org/facts.html

That DHMO page is even better than I remember it :-) "Married couples have
found that regular ingestion of DHMO can improve their marriage-related
activities, while couples that never ingest DHMO often find that their
marriage suffers as well."

Old June 24th 14, 06:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Davey wrote:
[...]

Please explain why running a cable is a non-starter. Is there a river,
railway line, or main road in the way?

WiFi is limited in output power by design and regulation, this is why it
is license-exempt; so virtually by definition it won't work through
walls or over hills.

There are free space optical systems (see: http://www.cablefree.net/)
but of course these require line-of-sight.

I have yet to meet a circumstance where cable is impossible, apart from
the aforementioned river, railway line, or main road. So do tell ...

--
Graham J

Old June 24th 14, 07:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Jackson

In message , Martin Brown
writes
On 24/06/2014 14:54, Davey wrote:

See above ref. to the 'Ban-all-PLT' website. It might be right,

It's right, all right.

it might
be wrong, but there are enough other folks who agree that there is a
problem. I don't know, hence the questions.

Unless you are a huge fan to receiving distant AM radio stations then I
would completely ignore that site.

That's ignoring the fact that your highly ingenious and convenient PLT
link could well be interfering with someone else's radio reception in
the immediate vicinity (and maybe even a little further afield). I'd be
fully in favour of such things provided the user would immediately, and
without argument, abandon it at the first reports of causing
interference outside the confines of their own premises, and promise to
install a proper, cabled link!

--
Ian