Ceasing VDSL and providing ADSL instead - what's involved by BT?

Old June 30th 14, 01:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

Default Ceasing VDSL and providing ADSL instead - what's involved by BT?

A client of mine has just moved into a house where the previous owner had
VDSL (they were told he had "fibre broadband"). The new owner took out a
contract for ADSL broadband and was given an activation date of last week.

But when I went to investigate, there was no ADSL carrier detectable at the
RJ11 socket on the faceplate of the master socket: I used my Netgear router
which shows attenuation, noise margin and sync speed (which it's difficult
to get a BT hub to do) and there's nothing.

BT believe that everything is OK, from all the line tests that they have
run.

I wondered: what could go wrong? When BT cease VDSL and provide ADSL, is it
purely a software configuration change at the exchange or does it involve
moving their phone line pair from one rack of VDSL equipment to another rack
of ADSL equipment?

Old June 30th 14, 01:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
NY wrote:
A client of mine has just moved into a house where the previous owner had
VDSL (they were told he had "fibre broadband").

That would be "fibre to the cabinet", FTTC. There is a fibre
connection from the exchange to the cabinet (usually within a few
hundred metres of your house) and a VDSL connection from there to your
house.

I wondered: what could go wrong? When BT cease VDSL and provide ADSL, is it
purely a software configuration change at the exchange or does it involve
moving their phone line pair from one rack of VDSL equipment to another rack
of ADSL equipment?

With FTTC you are connected to a VDSL DSLAM modem in the cabinet.
With orindary ADSL you are connected to an ADSL DSLAM in the exchange.
Switching back from FTTC to ADSL will require rewiring your connection
in the cabinet.

-- Richard
Old June 30th 14, 02:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 30/06/14 13:45, NY wrote:
When BT cease VDSL and provide ADSL, is it purely a software
configuration change at the exchange or does it involve moving their
phone line pair from one rack of VDSL equipment to another rack of ADSL
equipment?

Its worse than either. Its a rewire of the voice line at the voice exchange.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Old June 30th 14, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Its worse than either. Its a rewire of the voice line at the voice exchange.

Really? I thought that with FTTC the voice connection went from the
exchange to the original cabinet as normal, and from there to the
VDSL cabinet.

-- Richard
Old June 30th 14, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_2_]

Richard Tobin wrote:

I thought that with FTTC the voice connection went from the
exchange to the original cabinet as normal, and from there to the
VDSL cabinet.

It does. Then the voice goes back to the original cabinet and onwads to
the exchange - while the data goes over fibre from the new cabinet to
the (usually the same) exchange.

So to cease VDSL and re-provide ADSL will require work in the exchange
and in the old cabinet, as well as whatever logical" provisioning is
required.

Old June 30th 14, 02:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Richard Tobin wrote:

I thought that with FTTC the voice connection went from the
exchange to the original cabinet as normal, and from there to the
VDSL cabinet.

It does. Then the voice goes back to the original cabinet and onwads to
the exchange - while the data goes over fibre from the new cabinet to the
(usually the same) exchange.

So to cease VDSL and re-provide ADSL will require work in the exchange and
in the old cabinet, as well as whatever logical" provisioning is required.

And given the lack of broadband carrier, I'm wondering if that work was
carried out - although you'd think remote diagnostic tests (and looking at
the worksheets for the Openreach engineers) would establish that.

I could be completely wrong in my diagnosis - lack of detectable broadband
at the master socket could have many causes - but the fact that the previous
owner had what sounds like FTTC and VDSL from the cabinet rang a few alarm
bells and I thought "I bet that complicates things a bit" ;-)

Old June 30th 14, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 12:58:45 +0000, Richard Tobin wrote:

In article ,
NY wrote:
A client of mine has just moved into a house where the previous owner
had VDSL (they were told he had "fibre broadband").

That would be "fibre to the cabinet", FTTC. There is a fibre connection
from the exchange to the cabinet (usually within a few hundred metres of
your house) and a VDSL connection from there to your house.

I wondered: what could go wrong? When BT cease VDSL and provide ADSL, is
it purely a software configuration change at the exchange or does it
involve moving their phone line pair from one rack of VDSL equipment to
another rack of ADSL equipment?

With FTTC you are connected to a VDSL DSLAM modem in the cabinet. With
orindary ADSL you are connected to an ADSL DSLAM in the exchange.
Switching back from FTTC to ADSL will require rewiring your connection
in the cabinet.

And rewiring in the exchange - to provide the ADSL.

And probably a new 'master socket' in the premises.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Old June 30th 14, 05:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_2_]

Andy Burns wrote:

Richard Tobin wrote:

I thought that with FTTC the voice connection went from the
exchange to the original cabinet as normal, and from there to the
VDSL cabinet.

It does.

Sorry I was reading that backwards, i.e. starting at the premises-end
rather than the exchange end.

Old June 30th 14, 05:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
And rewiring in the exchange - to provide the ADSL.

Not necessarily as many VDSL users remain connected to the DSLAM in the
exchange as well as the PCP. Don't know why, nobody I've asked appear to be
interested so I just observe and keep quiet.

And probably a new 'master socket' in the premises.

Nope as the same filtering system used for VDSL is suitable for XDSL

Sounds like BT have just switched the service over/on and because it appears
to test ok then the engineering visit has been cancelled.

Old June 30th 14, 05:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_2_]

Kraftee wrote:

many VDSL users remain connected to the DSLAM in the
exchange as well as the PCP. Don't know why, nobody I've asked appear to be
interested so I just observe and keep quiet.

Presumably, though connected, the ADSL DSLAM would be shut-down on that
line, leaving it up to the VDSL DSLAM?