More plusnet incompetence over Usenet

Old June 30th 14, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive Page

Default More plusnet incompetence over Usenet

Over the weekend I found that the Plusnet news server had stopped
working. The most obvious symptom was that Thunderbird (which I use to
read Usenet news) kept asking me to reenter my password.

The plusnet service status page at
http://www.plus.net/supportpages.htm...=servicestatus
had (and still has, remarkably) Usenet service shown with a green tick
but an uptime of zero.

Today I got a message saying that there was "an issue" and that they
were investigating. No indication of why their service status was
lying. I instantly got another email asking me to fill in a survey
using surveymonkey to tell them how well they were doing. This link did
not work.

Fortunately this doesn't really matter as I pay for a much more reliable
and competent usenet service elsewhere (news.individual.net) and only
use the Plusnet server to be able to access their own service status
information. But if they can't be bothered to keep it working...

Once upon a time people used to say that Plusnet were a competent
company - could it be that the only ones who are competent are all on
holiday at present?

--
Clive Page
Old June 30th 14, 05:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Clive Page" wrote in message
Over the weekend I found that the Plusnet news server had stopped working.
The most obvious symptom was that Thunderbird (which I use to read Usenet
news) kept asking me to reenter my password.

The plusnet service status page at
http://www.plus.net/supportpages.htm...=servicestatus
had (and still has, remarkably) Usenet service shown with a green tick but
an uptime of zero.

That's interesting. I'm with Plusnet and my Usenet client (Windows Live Mail
on Win 7) is configured to use news.plus.net. And I didn't notice any loss
of service. I was probably checking for new messages every hour or so (at a
very rough average) for most of Sat and Sun daytime. And I didn't get any
prompt to enter a password and I continued to get a news feed (ie new
messages) on at least one of the groups that I am subscribed to, which
suggests that news was still be fed to their servers and was still being fed
on demand from there to my client.

It's weird how many of Plusnet's services have a status duration of 0. I'm
not sure how to interpret that for services which are clearly still working.
The "broadband" status is still showing "next update 30/06/2014 12:00" even
though it's now five hours later than that.

Old June 30th 14, 05:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_2_]

Clive Page wrote:

Over the weekend I found that the Plusnet news server had stopped
working. The most obvious symptom was that Thunderbird (which I use to
read Usenet news) kept asking me to reenter my password.

Was working all weekend for me, though I have noticed other PN users
grmbling. I do notice that TB prompts for password on the odd occasion
when a PN IP address makes too many (more than 2?) concurrent
connections to the giganews servers.

Old June 30th 14, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Clive Page wrote:

Over the weekend I found that the Plusnet news server had stopped
working. The most obvious symptom was that Thunderbird (which I use to
read Usenet news) kept asking me to reenter my password.

Was working all weekend for me, though I have noticed other PN users
grmbling. I do notice that TB prompts for password on the odd occasion
when a PN IP address makes too many (more than 2?) concurrent connections
to the giganews servers.

Seeing Plusnet are part of BT and BT did have a rather large, well
publicized outage, what's the betting it will have something to do with
that

Old June 30th 14, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Kraftee" wrote in message

Seeing Plusnet are part of BT and BT did have a rather large, well
publicized outage, what's the betting it will have something to do with
that

What exactly was BT's outage? Was it failure of DNS servers, thus allowing
continued access to servers whose IP address a PC already knew at the time
of failure but not access to any other server? That's what the symptoms
described in the news reports seem to imply.

However Plusnet maintain their own DNS servers, independent of BTs. Were any
other ISPs than BT Internet affected?

Old June 30th 14, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
michael adams

"Clive Page" wrote in message ...

Over the weekend I found that the Plusnet news server had stopped working. The most
obvious symptom was that Thunderbird (which I use to read Usenet news) kept asking me
to reenter my password.

Re-booting the router (as suggested on the Plusnet Forum) solved
this problem for me.

Having in the meantime subscribed to Eternal September.

michael adams

Old June 30th 14, 09:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 30/06/2014 19:44, michael adams wrote:
"Clive wrote in message ...

Over the weekend I found that the Plusnet news server had stopped working. The most
obvious symptom was that Thunderbird (which I use to read Usenet news) kept asking me
to reenter my password.

Re-booting the router (as suggested on the Plusnet Forum) solved
this problem for me.

Having in the meantime subscribed to Eternal September.

michael adams

No probs here. I didn't even experience the (almost national) outage,
which BT admitted and apologised for but didn't say what caused it.
I too use Thunderbird for Usenet, using news.plus.net (provided by
Giganews) for Plusnet's own newsgoups and news.individual.net for
everything else.

All a bit of a mystery...

Old June 30th 14, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 30/06/2014 21:11, George Weston wrote:
No probs here. I didn't even experience the (almost national) outage,
which BT admitted and apologised for but didn't say what caused it.
I too use Thunderbird for Usenet, using news.plus.net (provided by
Giganews) for Plusnet's own newsgoups and news.individual.net for
everything else.

All a bit of a mystery...

Same here. But I only have my machine running in the evenings.

Andy
Old June 30th 14, 10:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger

On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 16:44:35 +0100, Clive Page
wrote:

Over the weekend I found that the Plusnet news server had stopped
working. The most obvious symptom was that Thunderbird (which I use to
read Usenet news) kept asking me to reenter my password.

This problem comes up from time to time, not just with Plusnet.
The reason Plusnet didn't have any message about usenet problems
is because there weren't any. Your problem was caused by the IP
address you were assigned not being in Giganews's database as
belonging to an ISP which outsources to Giganews.

With outsourced connection attempts Giganews authenticates by IP
address. If a connection attempt comes from an IP address which
is not in Giganews's database then a username and password is
asked for. Giganews's database also has information regarding
which newsgroups a particular block of IP addresses is allowed
to see. For example, Plusnet customers do not have access to
alt.binaries.* but do have access to the private Plusnet groups.

People who take out a paid subscription to Giganews always
authenticate by username and password so can connect from any
IP address. Private newsgroups are not available to these users
when authenticating by username and password.

Continuing to use Plusnet as an example. If a Plusnet customer
wants to access all other public newsgroups (which includes the
alt.binaries.* hierarchy) they must take out a subscription.
Giganews will give them access to all public newsgroups when
they use their username and password. To get access to the
private Plusnet newsgroups they would need to set their news-
reader without the username and password and allow Giganews to
authenticate them by IP address.
--
Roger
Old July 1st 14, 08:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
michael adams

wrote:

Over the weekend I found that the Plusnet news server had stopped
working. The most obvious symptom was that Thunderbird (which I use to
read Usenet news) kept asking me to reenter my password.

This problem comes up from time to time, not just with Plusnet.
The reason Plusnet didn't have any message about usenet problems
is because there weren't any. Your problem was caused by the IP
address you were assigned not being in Giganews's database as
belonging to an ISP which outsources to Giganews.

But how can that account for the fact that, as in my case
where with a continuous connection for months using the same
IP address - with the router never having been rebooted - I had
no problem accessing Giganews text groups via Plusnet at all.

And then the next day, I had.

Which was solved eventually, having come across the solution on the
Plusnet Forum, by rebooting the router.

What seems to be happening is that Giganews is deleting IP
addresses from its outsourcing database for some reason, either
accidentally or on purpose.

michael adams