ADSL to Fibre

Old July 8th 14, 05:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

Default ADSL to Fibre

I am considering switching from my present ISP
to Zen Internet. At the same time I'll be switching
from ADSL to FTTC.

My modem-router is a cheap TP-Link TD8960N which
_seems_ to be compatible, but I'd be prepared to buy a
BT Home Hub 5 which I think would be guaranteed to be
compatible.

I understand I'd need a visit by Open Reach who would
install some sort of modem.

Are these ADSL/FTTC upgrades usually painless?

Seems almost too good to be true: top notch provider,
no setup fee, 25 a month for 72M up 20 down. What's the
catch ?

--
:: Jim, Wessex
Old July 8th 14, 07:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Tue, 08 Jul 2014 16:10:48 +0000
Jim wrote:

I am considering switching from my present ISP
to Zen Internet. At the same time I'll be switching
from ADSL to FTTC.

My modem-router is a cheap TP-Link TD8960N which
_seems_ to be compatible, but I'd be prepared to buy a
BT Home Hub 5 which I think would be guaranteed to be
compatible.

I understand I'd need a visit by Open Reach who would
install some sort of modem.

Are these ADSL/FTTC upgrades usually painless?

Seems almost too good to be true: top notch provider,
no setup fee, 25 a month for 72M up 20 down. What's the
catch ?

My personal feeling would be to steer clear of anything with a BT
brandname on it.
With Zen, you will have indeed a top-notch provider. I just wish that
fibre was even in the plans for my area! Zen would surely supply a
modem compatible with your system, if they are providing the service.
They supplied my ADSL modem.

--
Davey.

Old July 8th 14, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Tue, 08 Jul 2014 16:10:48 +0000, Jim wrote:

I am considering switching from my present ISP
to Zen Internet. At the same time I'll be switching
from ADSL to FTTC.

Both good choices. You'll notice the difference in speed straight
away, and you'll be particularly glad you went with Zen if you ever
need their technical support.

My modem-router is a cheap TP-Link TD8960N which
_seems_ to be compatible, but I'd be prepared to buy a
BT Home Hub 5 which I think would be guaranteed to be
compatible.

I understand I'd need a visit by Open Reach who would
install some sort of modem.

Are these ADSL/FTTC upgrades usually painless?

Seems almost too good to be true: top notch provider,
no setup fee, 25 a month for 72M up 20 down. What's the
catch ?

Regardless of which service provider you use, the cable between the
street cabinet and your house is the same one you've been using for
ADSL and telephone, so the speed you actually get will depend on this.
Check here-

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

-for an estimate of what it's likely to be. There wouldn't be any
point paying for the 76Mb/s service if the laws of physics prevent you
getting more than 38Mb/s, but other than that the choice is yours.

Openreach will provide and fit a VDSL modem as part of the deal, but
you'll also need to buy a router. I bought the cheapest one from Zen,
the Technicolor TG582n, and although there aren't many technical
settings to mess about with it does the job perfectly well. This
wireless-n router also includes an ADSL modem, and as I got mine
several days before Openreach arrived, I was able to put it into use
straight away on the existing ADSL service, and on the day it was only
necessary to change a few settings for VDSL.

I was told that there is no mechanism for transferring a Zen email
address associated with a VDSL account to another postal address, so
bear that in mind if you're thinking of moving house soon.

I recently received an email saying they're going to discontinue their
usenet service, in September I think, so if you're using your present
ISP's usenet server you'll need to find an independent one. Luckily
there are plenty and they're not expensive. I'm using Forte Agent
Usenet at $2.95 per month, so no big deal.

All working very well for several months now.

Rod.
Old July 8th 14, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

I do not know about Zen and BT as I am now with fiber from Sky previous ISP
was ADSL.
Sky sent me a fiber capable hub and I just plugged it in like a router, BT
/OR did not come to my house.
Regards
David

Old July 8th 14, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Jim wrote:
I am considering switching from my present ISP
to Zen Internet. At the same time I'll be switching
from ADSL to FTTC.

My modem-router is a cheap TP-Link TD8960N which
_seems_ to be compatible, but I'd be prepared to buy a
BT Home Hub 5 which I think would be guaranteed to be
compatible.

I understand I'd need a visit by Open Reach who would
install some sort of modem.

Are these ADSL/FTTC upgrades usually painless?

Seems almost too good to be true: top notch provider,
no setup fee, 25 a month for 72M up 20 down. What's the
catch ?

Do you actually mean a TD-W8960N as shown at:

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/detai...odel=TD-W8960N

If so this is an ADSL router, which will not be what you need.

When you get FTTC it will be installed by BT on behalf of Zen Internet.
BT will supply a modem for the VDSL signal; and the customer side of
the modem is Ethernet. Therefore you will require an Ethernet router.

I'm sure Zen will offer to supply one.

There are routers that contain an integrated VDSL modem (e.g. the Vigor
2860) but at present Zen will suggest that for them to provide support
you will have to use the modem supplied by BT. This is rather a pity,
since the V2860 will show you performance parameters for the VDSL
service - something you won't be able to get out of the BT modem.

--
Graham J

Old July 8th 14, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Graham J" wrote in message
There are routers that contain an integrated VDSL modem (e.g. the Vigor
2860) but at present Zen will suggest that for them to provide support you
will have to use the modem supplied by BT. This is rather a pity, since
the V2860 will show you performance parameters for the VDSL service -
something you won't be able to get out of the BT modem.

Hopefully before long, ISPs will start to support and/or supply integrated
routers that have both modem and router, like the BT Homehub 5 and the Vigor
that you mention. Having to have two separate devices is a pain as you need
two mains sockets rather than one and you have two boxes joined by cable
rather than one. And you may lose the ability to interrogate the modem's
signal strength, as you say.

VDSL may require changes to your house wiring. We have an incoming feed from
the overhead cable which goes to an old GPO rectangular junction box from
which two cables radiate, both ending at modern BT sockets, and connected in
parallel. This is not allowed (or at least, strongly discouraged) for VDSL.
Instead the incoming line must go to one BT socket which is the master, with
a filtered extension going to the other socket. In our case that would mean
running a second phone line back down the staircase, alongside the existing
one that goes to the upstairs socket which would need to be the master one
because it's closer to where the router must be to be within Ethernet range
of my PCs. And the cable from the socket to the router cannot be ribbon
cable phone extension as I have at present, so there would be a problem
getting the cable from the socket to the router under carpets across
doorways. It converts the nice simple setup that we have for ADSL into a
right pain, with cables having to go over the top of one doorframe and
through a drilled hole in another doorway.

Actually the increase in downstream speed from about 6 Mbps to about 30 Mbps
(using the BT line speed estimation site) is less important than the
increase in upstream speed - from 448 kbps to about 15 Mbps. When ADSL was
designed, most traffic was downloads of web pages and emails; now with cloud
storage you also need to have fast upstream transfer to upload data to the
cloud.

Old July 8th 14, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_2_]

NY wrote:

Hopefully before long, ISPs will start to support and/or supply integrated
routers that have both modem and router, like the BT Homehub 5 and the Vigor
that you mention

BT and Sky already do, Plusnet are deciding which/when to supply.

Old July 9th 14, 09:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob L

On Tue, 08 Jul 2014 16:10:48 +0000, Jim wrote:

I am considering switching from my present ISP
to Zen Internet. At the same time I'll be switching
from ADSL to FTTC.

Seems almost too good to be true: top notch provider,
no setup fee, 25 a month for 72M up 20 down. What's the
catch ?

What package are you looking at ?

Cannot see anything with 72M upload - download yes.

Their prices show that an extra 4.50 a month is charged if you do not
have line rental.

Old July 9th 14, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Andy Blanchard wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jul 2014 22:06:12 +0100, Graham J wrote:

Do you actually mean a TD-W8960N as shown at:

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/detai...odel=TD-W8960N

If so this is an ADSL router, which will not be what you need.

Quoting from the linked page:

"Ethernet WAN (EWAN) offers another broadband connectivity option for
connecting to Cable, VDSL or Fiber modems"

The specifications page also confirms that it supports PPPoE, so
connecting this device's RJ45 WAN port to the RJ45 port on the BT
supplied fibre modem ought to work fine.
Andy Blanchard
http://www.zocalo.uk.com for all your UK Babylon 5 needs!

The only person to have all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Apologoies - you are correct.

So the OP can very likely use his existing router, provided he
configures it for EWAN operation. My only question is whether his
TD-8960N is the same as the TD-W8960N.

--
Graham J

Old July 9th 14, 03:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rodney Pont

On Wed, 09 Jul 2014 11:41:19 +0100, Graham J wrote:

TD-8960N is the same as the TD-W8960N.

I was going to say isn't the TD-W8960N the wireless version but the N
indicates that it's wireless n so I won't bother :-)

--
Faster, cheaper, quieter than HS2
and built in 5 years;