Technicolour TG789v3 from Zen

Old July 15th 14, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

Default Technicolour TG789v3 from Zen

Anyone know whether this one is a special, specific
to Zen or can it be used with any provider ?

(99 from Zen)

--
:: Jim, Wessex
Old July 16th 14, 10:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 19:23:28 +0000, Jim wrote:

Anyone know whether this one is a special, specific
to Zen or can it be used with any provider ?

(99 from Zen)

Have you asked Zen? It seems perfectly reasonable to ask a vendor
about the capabilities of something they're selling.

Rod.
Old July 16th 14, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 15/07/2014 20:23, Jim wrote:
Anyone know whether this one is a special, specific
to Zen or can it be used with any provider ?

(99 from Zen)

I'm using this device as a combined VDSL modem/router on one of my
Plusnet FTTC lines at home.

Admittedly, I didn't get it from Zen, but if theirs doesn't work with
other ISPs, it would be the first instance of Technicolor locking
routers to a supplier that I've seen.

Old July 16th 14, 12:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 16/07/2014 12:25, Plusnet Support Team wrote:
On 15/07/2014 20:23, Jim wrote:
Anyone know whether this one is a special, specific
to Zen or can it be used with any provider ?

(99 from Zen)

I'm using this device as a combined VDSL modem/router on one of my
Plusnet FTTC lines at home.

Admittedly, I didn't get it from Zen, but if theirs doesn't work with
other ISPs, it would be the first instance of Technicolor locking
routers to a supplier that I've seen.

Slight correction.

It's a 589vn v3 I'm using on my Plusnet line and a 799vn v2 on my BT
Retail line.

same probably applies for the 789v3 though (aesthetically, it's
identical to the 589).

Old July 16th 14, 01:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 12:25:05 +0100, Plusnet Support Team
wrote:

Anyone know whether this one is a special, specific
to Zen or can it be used with any provider ?

(99 from Zen)

I'm using this device as a combined VDSL modem/router on one of my
Plusnet FTTC lines at home.

Admittedly, I didn't get it from Zen, but if theirs doesn't work with
other ISPs, it would be the first instance of Technicolor locking
routers to a supplier that I've seen.

I'm using a Technicolor router (though not the same model the OP is
enquiring about) which I did get from Zen. I'm using it on a Zen
account so cannot say whether it's locked, but it does show the Zen
logo in the setup pages, so some customising must have been done.
Whether this customising is only cosmetic or also extends to aspects
of its performance is something I would want to check if I wanted to
use it on a different service.

Rod.
Old July 16th 14, 04:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

wrote:

Anyone know whether this one is a special, specific
to Zen or can it be used with any provider ?

(99 from Zen)

I'm using this device as a combined VDSL modem/router on one of my
Plusnet FTTC lines at home.

Admittedly, I didn't get it from Zen, but if theirs doesn't work with
other ISPs, it would be the first instance of Technicolor locking
routers to a supplier that I've seen.

I'm using a Technicolor router (though not the same model the OP is
enquiring about) which I did get from Zen. I'm using it on a Zen
account so cannot say whether it's locked, but it does show the Zen
logo in the setup pages, so some customising must have been done.
Whether this customising is only cosmetic or also extends to aspects
of its performance is something I would want to check if I wanted to
use it on a different service.

The GUI on our routers is customised too, however they can still be used
with another DSL provider.

Old July 16th 14, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 16:35:50 +0100, Plusnet Support Team
wrote:

[...]

That's good to know, but it doesn't tell us about Zen. I've found that
some routers supplied by BT won't save the settings if you enter an
address that isn't one of theirs, so it does happen. I'd be surprised
if Zen do this, but I'd still want to be sure before spending money.

Rod.
Old July 16th 14, 08:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 10:25:51 +0100, Roderick Stewart
wrote:

On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 19:23:28 +0000, Jim wrote:

Anyone know whether this one is a special, specific
to Zen or can it be used with any provider ?

(99 from Zen)

Have you asked Zen?

No.

It seems perfectly reasonable to ask a vendor
about the capabilities of something they're selling.

It is indeed and it appears I'll have to ask
them as there doesn't seem to be any Zen subscribers
on here.

--
:: Jim, Wessex
Old July 16th 14, 08:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

wrote:

On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 19:23:28 +0000, Jim wrote:

Anyone know whether this one is a special, specific
to Zen or can it be used with any provider ?

(99 from Zen)

Have you asked Zen?

No.

It seems perfectly reasonable to ask a vendor
about the capabilities of something they're selling.

It is indeed and it appears I'll have to ask
them as there doesn't seem to be any Zen subscribers
on here.

There are lots, but they don't generally use the Zen-supplied router.
For example I generally use Vigor routers, and I support 26 Zen
connections. I have used TP-Link TD-W8960N routers for some recent
connections, where a simpler VPN configuration is adequate.

--
Graham J
Old July 16th 14, 11:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 19:39:23 +0000, Jim wrote:

Anyone know whether this one is a special, specific
to Zen or can it be used with any provider ?

(99 from Zen)

Have you asked Zen?

No.

It seems perfectly reasonable to ask a vendor
about the capabilities of something they're selling.

It is indeed and it appears I'll have to ask
them as there doesn't seem to be any Zen subscribers
on here.

Well, as it happens I'm a Zen subscriber, but if you think about it
that makes me one of the people least likely to be able to tell you if
a router will work on a service *other* than Zen... :-)

Rod.