Reconfiguring the Technicolor TG582n FTTC router from Plusnet

Old July 19th 14, 01:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David[_2_]

Default Reconfiguring the Technicolor TG582n FTTC router from Plusnet

I have a number of legacy devices on my network with static IP addresses in
the 10.0.0.x range, and not wanting to reconfigure all these legacy devices,
I have reconfigured my Technicolor TG582n FTTC router to work with this
range.

All has gone well but can someone enlighten me why under the tab "Home
Home Network Interfaces LocalNetwork" under "Local IP Addresses/ IPv4
Address/Mask" there is an IP address 10.0.0.138 listed.

The shipping default for the router/gateway is 192.168.1.254 so why the
10.0.0.138? Normally the 10.0.0.138 falls within the address range I use
for my DHCP Pool.

Can I safely delete the 10.0.0.138 address from the "Local IP Addresses/
IPv4 Address/Mask" table?

TIA

David

Old July 19th 14, 03:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
newshound

On 19/07/2014 13:41, David wrote:

I have a number of legacy devices on my network with static IP addresses
in the 10.0.0.x range, and not wanting to reconfigure all these legacy
devices, I have reconfigured my Technicolor TG582n FTTC router to work
with this range.

All has gone well but can someone enlighten me why under the tab "Home
Home Network Interfaces LocalNetwork" under "Local IP Addresses/
IPv4 Address/Mask" there is an IP address 10.0.0.138 listed.

The shipping default for the router/gateway is 192.168.1.254 so why the
10.0.0.138? Normally the 10.0.0.138 falls within the address range I
use for my DHCP Pool.

Can I safely delete the 10.0.0.138 address from the "Local IP Addresses/
IPv4 Address/Mask" table?

TIA

David

If I might piggy-back with a somewhat comparable issue, I have recently
acquired one of these with FTTC and it talks to a Netgear WN2000RPT wifi
extender in my office. I used to use static IP addressing for the office
printers but discovered that dynamic addressing (apparently) worked when
I first set it up.

The Technicolour doesn't seem to be quite as programmable as the
original Netgear router, but I'm not very well up on all the networking
acronyms. I *think* the extender is doing the DHCP, is that right?
Trouble is, when I shut down the computers and printers they sometimes
wake up with new IP addresses, so I then have to reinstall the printers
and remember to set them to duplex, which is a PITA. I also have a
switch to distribute the connection, but the printers are all plugged
into ports in the extender. The extender isn't normally powered down.

I guess I am making a simple mistake, but can anyone tell me what it is?
Old July 19th 14, 04:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David[_2_]

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

I don't think I'm going to answer your query, but you may find the following
helpful.

Until fairly recently I used a separate Wireless Access Point for Wi-Fi
connectivity. If I correctly recall, the WAP - a D-Link unit -could be
indeed be configured to provide it's own generated DHCP but I always had my
WAP's DHCP function turned off and allowed the DHCP from the router.

I found that using a separate WAP worked very well for me and provided a lot
of flexibility.

A number of my network devices are configured for static IP addresses. It's
only my "portable" devices which have their addresses assigned by the DHCP.

I agree that the modern routers aren't quite a flexible as the older units,
but I guess that the modern units cover the needs of 99.99% of users.
Another thing which I can't find on the Technicolor TG582n is the facility
to enter the MAC addresses of permitted Wi-Fi devices to provide an
additional layer of security.

BTW I've never had much luck with Netgear products - my most recent router
before going to FTTC was a Cisco/Netsys WAG120N which did work very well.
The WAG120N is configurable for FTTC use and I did initially try to use it,
but the Technicolor TG582n permitted a higher throughput. Actually I'm quite
impressed by the TG582n - it's much better than it would have thought for a
ISP provided "freebee" router!

Old July 19th 14, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Leverton

In article , David wrote:

I have a number of legacy devices on my network with static IP addresses in
the 10.0.0.x range, and not wanting to reconfigure all these legacy devices,
I have reconfigured my Technicolor TG582n FTTC router to work with this
range.

All has gone well but can someone enlighten me why under the tab "Home
Home Network Interfaces LocalNetwork" under "Local IP Addresses/ IPv4
Address/Mask" there is an IP address 10.0.0.138 listed.

The shipping default for the router/gateway is 192.168.1.254 so why the
10.0.0.138? Normally the 10.0.0.138 falls within the address range I use
for my DHCP Pool.

Can I safely delete the 10.0.0.138 address from the "Local IP Addresses/
IPv4 Address/Mask" table?

As far as I know yes. It's a second IP address on the same interface.
I did find it useful when I had a complex bridged networking setup,
to be able to route that IP out of a non-bridged interface and access
the router's controls. But I don't think it's needed normally.

Nick
Old July 19th 14, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On Sat, 19 Jul 2014 13:41:18 +0100, David wrote:

I have a number of legacy devices on my network with static IP addresses in
the 10.0.0.x range, and not wanting to reconfigure all these legacy devices,
I have reconfigured my Technicolor TG582n FTTC router to work with this
range.

All has gone well but can someone enlighten me why under the tab "Home
Home Network Interfaces LocalNetwork" under "Local IP Addresses/ IPv4
Address/Mask" there is an IP address 10.0.0.138 listed.

The shipping default for the router/gateway is 192.168.1.254 so why the
10.0.0.138? Normally the 10.0.0.138 falls within the address range I use
for my DHCP Pool.

It's there as an alternate address, which can be useful when you reconfigured
a spare router months ago to be on 192.168.0.1 and have since forgotten that
you did so.

Can I safely delete the 10.0.0.138 address from the "Local IP Addresses/
IPv4 Address/Mask" table?

Yup.

Old July 19th 14, 05:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David[_2_]

"Nick Leverton" wrote in message ...

In article , David
wrote:

[...]

I think you're correct. It just seems odd that it's been included as a
standard configuration for a domestic router.

At the moment I can log on to the router using three different addresses! I
don't even really need the 192.168.1.254 address but it doesn't cause me
problems with my desired configuration so I may as well leave it.

Old July 19th 14, 05:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 19/07/14 13:41, David wrote:

I have a number of legacy devices on my network with static IP addresses
in the 10.0.0.x range, and not wanting to reconfigure all these legacy
devices, I have reconfigured my Technicolor TG582n FTTC router to work
with this range.

All has gone well but can someone enlighten me why under the tab "Home
Home Network Interfaces LocalNetwork" under "Local IP Addresses/
IPv4 Address/Mask" there is an IP address 10.0.0.138 listed.

Network MASK is not an IP address.
It is a bitmask to determine the SIZE of the network in use.

..138 is the 8th bit set, (128) and then 10, which is 11000
so a mask of 10001010.

Which is weird.
And makes absolutely no sense.

So Id delete it.

The shipping default for the router/gateway is 192.168.1.254 so why the
10.0.0.138? Normally the 10.0.0.138 falls within the address range I
use for my DHCP Pool.

Can I safely delete the 10.0.0.138 address from the "Local IP Addresses/
IPv4 Address/Mask" table?

I am sure you can. I generally 'reset to factory defaults' as a matter
of course when putting in a new router.

What you want to do is give the router itself a static address in the
range in which your devices are, like 10.0.0.254 or 10.0.0.1,

Then set up the netmask to cover all of the devices. If they are all
10.0.0.X stuff the net mask wants to be 255.255.255.0 so the whole 256
address subnet is enabled.

Then make your DHCP pool a range where the static stuff is not, out of
that space.

TIA

David

rare story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge. - Erwin Knoll
Old July 19th 14, 05:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On Sat, 19 Jul 2014 17:07:42 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 19/07/14 13:41, David wrote:

I have a number of legacy devices on my network with static IP addresses
in the 10.0.0.x range, and not wanting to reconfigure all these legacy
devices, I have reconfigured my Technicolor TG582n FTTC router to work
with this range.

All has gone well but can someone enlighten me why under the tab "Home
Home Network Interfaces LocalNetwork" under "Local IP Addresses/
IPv4 Address/Mask" there is an IP address 10.0.0.138 listed.

Network MASK is not an IP address.
It is a bitmask to determine the SIZE of the network in use.

.138 is the 8th bit set, (128) and then 10, which is 11000
so a mask of 10001010.

Which is weird.
And makes absolutely no sense.

Some misinterpretation here. The IP address in question is 10.0.0.138/24,
so the netmask is 255.255.255.0

Old July 19th 14, 08:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 19/07/14 13:41, David wrote:

I have a number of legacy devices on my network with static IP addresses
in the 10.0.0.x range, and not wanting to reconfigure all these legacy
devices, I have reconfigured my Technicolor TG582n FTTC router to work
with this range.

All has gone well but can someone enlighten me why under the tab "Home
Home Network Interfaces LocalNetwork" under "Local IP Addresses/
IPv4 Address/Mask" there is an IP address 10.0.0.138 listed.

Network MASK is not an IP address.
It is a bitmask to determine the SIZE of the network in use.

.138 is the 8th bit set, (128) and then 10, which is 11000
so a mask of 10001010.

Which is weird.
And makes absolutely no sense.

Some misinterpretation here. The IP address in question is 10.0.0.138/24,
so the netmask is 255.255.255.0

Well you certainly wouldn't use a netmask of 10.0.0.138 ! The leading
bits of the 32 bits need all to be 1's and the rest all 0's - with only
one transition between them.

A netmask of 255.255.255.0 (which is common) would mean that each device
on the local network would have to have an IP address which shared the
first 3 octets with that of the gateway and with a unique number in the
range 0-255 (or maybe one or two are excluded?) as the 4th octet.

So in the OP's case all devices would have IP addresses of 10.0.0.xxx

So I'm at a loss to understand how he can log on to the router from a
device having a 192.168 etc. IP address!

I'm also at a bit of a loss to understand where the .138 address came
from. Surely, if the OP reconfigured it away from its default it would
have a LAN IP address of whatever he specified? This would also be the
gateway address which other devices would have to use for internet access.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old July 19th 14, 09:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Sat, 19 Jul 2014 15:34:31 +0100, newshound
wrote:

[...]

I doubt it. If it's just an extender or ethernet bridge (and it seems
to be both), then the router (TG582n) will be handing out IP
addresses. By default I think DHCP starts at 192.168.1.64 so addresses
from 2 to 63 are OK to use for static addresses.

You can change this in the router config pages if you'd rather have
dynamic addresses starting from a different number (or if you need
more than 62 printers).

Trouble is, when I shut down the computers and printers they sometimes
wake up with new IP addresses, so I then have to reinstall the printers
and remember to set them to duplex, which is a PITA. I also have a
switch to distribute the connection, but the printers are all plugged
into ports in the extender. The extender isn't normally powered down.

I guess I am making a simple mistake, but can anyone tell me what it is?

Yes. Set static addresses on your printers, and then they won't keep
changing. In fact, set static addresses for everything that's actually
static, and leave DHCP for smartphones, pads and laptops.

Rod.