Still Confused About Fibre

Old July 24th 14, 07:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

Default Still Confused About Fibre

I'm still confused about where the bits of a fibre
installation go.

My BT socket is in the hall. My router upstairs.

Zen's blurb implies that the modem installed
by Open Reach may be located up to 30 metres
from the BT socket via a 'data cable' supplied
by O.R.

I had understood that the the 'VDSL modem' had
to be installed near to the BT socket and the 1s
and 0s it outputs went via this data cable to
my router's WAN port. Which is correct?

Zen also state that this data cable (whatever
sort of data it carries) can be left lying around
for me to route to the computer equipment/modem
in my own time, which I would prefer. Is this
also correct? It seems reasonable.

--
:: Jim, Wessex
Old July 24th 14, 09:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 18:10:49 +0000, Jim wrote:

I'm still confused about where the bits of a fibre
installation go.

My BT socket is in the hall. My router upstairs.

Zen's blurb implies that the modem installed
by Open Reach may be located up to 30 metres
from the BT socket via a 'data cable' supplied
by O.R.

I had understood that the the 'VDSL modem' had
to be installed near to the BT socket and the 1s
and 0s it outputs went via this data cable to
my router's WAN port. Which is correct?

Zen also state that this data cable (whatever
sort of data it carries) can be left lying around
for me to route to the computer equipment/modem
in my own time, which I would prefer. Is this
also correct? It seems reasonable.

You mean this, under "What must you provide?"
http://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledg...on-Information

As it connects the master socket to the modem, it is clearly the
unfiltered phone line carrying the VDSL signal.

You may prefer to leave the modem near the socket and run CAT5e/CAT6
to the router.

Some ISPs have embraced a single box solution, not sure about Zen

Some VDSL faceplates and VDSL modems use RJ45 rather than RJ11 sockets
so the supplied lead may turn out to be a long Ethernet patch lead
anyway.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old July 24th 14, 09:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 18:10:49 +0000, Jim wrote:

I'm still confused about where the bits of a fibre
installation go.

My BT socket is in the hall. My router upstairs.

Zen's blurb implies that the modem installed
by Open Reach may be located up to 30 metres
from the BT socket via a 'data cable' supplied
by O.R.

I had understood that the the 'VDSL modem' had
to be installed near to the BT socket and the 1s
and 0s it outputs went via this data cable to
my router's WAN port. Which is correct?

The incoming telephone cable is hardwired to the master socket. There
are two socket connections on it, a standard BT phone connector and a
data socket. The phone outlet is already filtered so you don't need
additional filters.

A pluggable cable goes from the data socket to the VDSL modem which
Openreach will supply and fit. The shorter the better, but if they say
you can have it up to 30 metres away, then you can.

A standard ethernet cable goes from the VDSL modem to your router. The
length of this cable can be anything up to the maximum length for
ethernet, which I can't remember but I've used at least 30 metres with
no trouble. Those Homeplug or Powerline ethernet adaptors can be used
here too.

The two boxes, modem and router, don't need to be physically next to
each other but they need an ethernet connection between them. Where
you place them physically is up to you.

So you have two data cables, BT wallbox to modem, and modem to router,
and either or both of these cables can be up to 30 metres (possibly
longer for the second one), which gives you quite a bit of freedom. If
you do want to use Powerline adaptors, you can only use them on the
ethernet route, *after* the modem.

Phone wiring is completely separate, and plugs directly into the BT
master socket.

Zen also state that this data cable (whatever
sort of data it carries) can be left lying around
for me to route to the computer equipment/modem
in my own time, which I would prefer. Is this
also correct? It seems reasonable.

Yes. I'm not sure if the Openreach engineer is obliged to install the
extension cable, but I expect he'll be glad to leave it to you.

Rod.
Old July 24th 14, 09:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_2_]

Roderick Stewart wrote:

A pluggable cable goes from the data socket to the VDSL modem which
Openreach will supply and fit. The shorter the better, but if they say
you can have it up to 30 metres away, then you can.

I don't think the 30m refers to them leaving you a long patch cable, but
is the maximum distance they'll be prepared to relocate the master
socket by (ISPs can order FTTC with or without this socket relocation
included).

Old July 24th 14, 09:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

The usual limit of Ethernet is 100m if not carrying PoE, or
60m if it is.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old July 25th 14, 10:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 24/07/2014 21:29, Andy Burns wrote:
Roderick Stewart wrote:

A pluggable cable goes from the data socket to the VDSL modem which
Openreach will supply and fit. The shorter the better, but if they say
you can have it up to 30 metres away, then you can.

I don't think the 30m refers to them leaving you a long patch cable, but
is the maximum distance they'll be prepared to relocate the master
socket by (ISPs can order FTTC with or without this socket relocation
included).

It's actually the former but in practice you'll often find the latter
ends up getting done.

Be wary if it's a contractor that's sent to do the install. I've seen a
fair few examples where they seem completely oblivious to the whole
extension kit thing.

Old July 25th 14, 10:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Civil

In article ,
Jim wrote:
My BT socket is in the hall. My router upstairs.

Another option is to use powerline adapters to link the modem and
router. Can be dependant on mains wiring topology but certainly works
here (currently linking an HG612 and an RT-N66U).
Old July 25th 14, 11:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Mc

Roderick Stewart wrote:
: my router's WAN port. Which is correct?

: The incoming telephone cable is hardwired to the master socket. There
: are two socket connections on it, a standard BT phone connector and a
: data socket. The phone outlet is already filtered so you don't need
: additional filters.

I had an OpenReach engineer for my Fibre installation back in March.

My old master socket was by the front door and there was no space for the
new (larger) VDSL master socket. Also I had no power anywhere near there.

My engineer was happy to crimp the incoming phone line onto a cable pair
leading directly to an extension socket - and then to make this extension
socket into the new master socket. As extension wiring will be - at least
- two pairs (4 wires) other extensions can still be wired in downstream of
the new master socket.

It gave me exanctly the solution I wanted and is worth asking about!

Old July 25th 14, 01:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 10:13:10 +0100
Mike Civil wrote:

In article ,
Jim wrote:
My BT socket is in the hall. My router upstairs.

Another option is to use powerline adapters to link the modem and
router. Can be dependant on mains wiring topology but certainly works
here (currently linking an HG612 and an RT-N66U).

Be aware of a LOT of opposition to the use of these devices, due to the
fact that they turn your house wiring into a large RF radiator.
Check out the thread: 'Wifi Extender to replace Powerline'
in this NG, and there was at least one more robust discussion somewhere
else.

--
Davey.