Advice on personal MiFi requested

Old August 6th 14, 09:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

Default Advice on personal MiFi requested

"chris" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm after a MiFi for use at a property that isn't
regularly occupied so fixed line broadband would be an
unnecessary expense.

It's in a relatively built-up area and have tested O2, EE
and Three for signal strength and all seem decent enough.
I also did a speed test with EE and Three and got 6Mbps.

Needs are mostly for email and web access, but may extend
to the occasional streaming.

What are people's experiences of the different solutions
'out there'? Are they much of a muchness and is it more
down to location specifics? I know speeds can vary wildly
across the country, but for a given location is the speed
relatively stable?

Many thanks for all suggestions/comments.

If you have a smartphone why buy a mifi? Your phone can be
set up as a wifi hotspot, or in many cases you can connect
the phone to the laptop by USB and use the phone - in
effect - as a modem.

Data rates generally tend to change according to load. You
may find 6Mb during the day but may get nothing like it when
the kids leave school - sys 16:00-20:00.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old August 6th 14, 05:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 06/08/2014 09:59, Woody wrote:
"chris" wrote in message
[...]

The main reason is I'm not the person going to use it - the person who
will be using it doesn't have a smart phone. Plus, if it were me I'd not
want my phone to be the 'ISP' - everytime I went out the broadband would
be down

Data rates generally tend to change according to load. You
may find 6Mb during the day but may get nothing like it when
the kids leave school - sys 16:00-20:00.

Noted. We'll see how bad it gets.
Thanks.
Old August 6th 14, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

chris wrote:
The main reason is I'm not the person going to use it - the person who
will be using it doesn't have a smart phone. Plus, if it were me I'd not
want my phone to be the 'ISP' - everytime I went out the broadband would
be down

Is there just one person? In a small place? What I'd be considering in
such situations is the wifi range. I don't have any direct experience with
MiFi units, but 'tethering' wifi range can be poor. Depends whether they're
willing to move it about with them, or whether you want to cover the whole
property. Gets more complicated if there's other things that want to use
wifi (laptops, tablets, TV boxes etc).

Theo
Old August 7th 14, 09:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 06/08/2014 21:49, Theo Markettos wrote:
chris wrote:
The main reason is I'm not the person going to use it - the person who
will be using it doesn't have a smart phone. Plus, if it were me I'd not
want my phone to be the 'ISP' - everytime I went out the broadband would
be down

Is there just one person? In a small place? What I'd be considering in
such situations is the wifi range. I don't have any direct experience with
MiFi units, but 'tethering' wifi range can be poor. Depends whether they're
willing to move it about with them, or whether you want to cover the whole
property. Gets more complicated if there's other things that want to use
wifi (laptops, tablets, TV boxes etc).

It's a fairly small property and only an iPad to connect. It's a good
point, but I don't think it'll be an issue.

Anyway I've ordered one of these and a Three 1GB SIM. Hopefully that'll
sort me out.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-M535.../dp/B00B7TGVP6

Many thanks for all the comments.

Old August 7th 14, 09:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_2_]

chris wrote:

Anyway I've ordered one of these and a Three 1GB SIM. Hopefully that'll
sort me out.

Have you changed your mind on the occasional streaming? 1GB won't last long.

Old August 7th 14, 12:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 07/08/2014 09:37, Andy Burns wrote:
chris wrote:

Anyway I've ordered one of these and a Three 1GB SIM. Hopefully that'll
sort me out.

Have you changed your mind on the occasional streaming? 1GB won't last
long.

To be precise, I did say '*may* include occasional streaming', so it's
low priority issue ATM. However, this 1GB is mainly to test Three's
service. If it's good enough will stick with it, otherwise will try others.

Old August 7th 14, 02:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fred

In article , chris
writes

It's a fairly small property and only an iPad to connect. It's a good
point, but I don't think it'll be an issue.

Anyway I've ordered one of these and a Three 1GB SIM. Hopefully that'll
sort me out.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-M535...cked-21-6Mbps-
Internal/dp/B00B7TGVP6

That looks like quite a nice unit, the display can be useful for at a
glance connection info, particularly for those that find accessing the
web control panel a bit intimidating.

Bear in mind that most of these will go to sleep if run on battery and
not used for 10 mins or so. Some require momentary pressing of the power
button to wake up again but IME they will stay awake if left connected
to the charger.

As an aside, for anyone considering using Vodafone's flagship R212 Mifi
4G unit, don't. A year since launch and the firmware still has more bugs
than a dodgy kebab shop, avoid.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Old August 7th 14, 03:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 07/08/2014 14:25, fred wrote:
In article , chris writes

It's a fairly small property and only an iPad to connect. It's a good
point, but I don't think it'll be an issue.

Anyway I've ordered one of these and a Three 1GB SIM. Hopefully that'll
sort me out.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-M535...cked-21-6Mbps-
Internal/dp/B00B7TGVP6

That looks like quite a nice unit, the display can be useful for at a
glance connection info, particularly for those that find accessing the
web control panel a bit intimidating.

I thought so too.

Bear in mind that most of these will go to sleep if run on battery and
not used for 10 mins or so. Some require momentary pressing of the power
button to wake up again but IME they will stay awake if left connected
to the charger.

Yup. I chose it because it comes with a mains charger - it'll mainly be
plugged in. The Hauwei's only come with a USB cable, fine if you have a
spare charger.