Post Office B/B

Old August 12th 14, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

Default Post Office B/B

I've been helping an elderly neighbour get going on the
Interweb he, at 89, having just bought his first laptop and
printer and has B/B from the Post Office.

He was getting 7.47Mb until I changed his socket faceplate
for a BT vDSL iPlate and he now gets 10.68Mb - when it is
there. Even before the faceplate change he was moaning (a
bit) that his laptop kept reporting loss of Internet. He
tells me it has been OK over most of the weekend but was
repeatedly dropping out this morning.

Does anyone know if this is typical of PO Broadband and if
so what is the best approach to getting them to have a look
at it? He lives less than 1Km down a straight road from the
serving exchange and has no problems with his phone service
(also from the PO.)

TIA

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old August 12th 14, 04:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 12/08/14 16:47, Woody wrote:
I've been helping an elderly neighbour get going on the
Interweb he, at 89, having just bought his first laptop and
printer and has B/B from the Post Office.

He was getting 7.47Mb until I changed his socket faceplate
for a BT vDSL iPlate and he now gets 10.68Mb - when it is
there. Even before the faceplate change he was moaning (a
bit) that his laptop kept reporting loss of Internet. He
tells me it has been OK over most of the weekend but was
repeatedly dropping out this morning.

Does anyone know if this is typical of PO Broadband and if
so what is the best approach to getting them to have a look
at it? He lives less than 1Km down a straight road from the
serving exchange and has no problems with his phone service
(also from the PO.)

TIA

leave it a couple of weeks: there is a training period in which repeated
disconnects and reconnects happen until the speed is low enough to be
reliable..

rare story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge. - Erwin Knoll
Old August 12th 14, 05:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote in
message ...
On 12/08/14 16:47, Woody wrote:
[...]

I've just spoken to PO B/B - who were surprisingly helpful -
and they stated that the router has lost synce 15 times this
morning but has been stable for the last six hours - when it
has not been in use!

It has now been on line for six weeks which I would have
thought was enough for any router to stabilise?

Old August 12th 14, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Tue, 12 Aug 2014 17:20:36 +0100, "Woody"
wrote:

[...]

When somebody just says they've "lost internet" or "the internet isn't
working", the first thing to establish is where the disconnection
taking place. People are astonishingly vague when describing the
symptoms of technical problems so if you want to help your neighbour
you may need to do some of the detective work yourself rather than
relying on his testimony, regardless of how sure he seems to be.

If there are several computers, are they all affected at the same time
in the same way? (Your neighbour will probably not even have thought
of this; most people don't, and can't even understand why you ask). If
there's only one computer, is it connected by wireless or ethernet?
What does the network indicator on the screen show, and what do the
lights on the modem show, while the fault is showing itself? Since you
mention a laptop, it's possible that you're really dealing with a
wireless issue, rather than an internet issue.

It's normal for a few real ADSL disconnects to occur at first, as
another poster has described to you, but if a couple of these
happened to occur at times when a user was trying to do something,
this can end up being described as "it's always going wrong", so
consider all the possibiities and check the facts for yourself. Good
luck.

Rod.
Old August 12th 14, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

[...]

PO B/B is actually done by TalkTalk. I spoke to them (as PO)
this afternoon - couldn't have been more helpful. They
interrogated the router remotely and its stats showed it had
lost sync 15 times this morning but had been stable for six
hours - the same six hours when it was not being used in
anger.

Suggests to me that it is a router fault but TT say they
have to send out a tech first to check the line (presumably
BTOR?) and if it is due to internal problems on the premises
there will be a charge of 144. The router is plugged
directly into the master socket.

As it happens the router is a ZyXel and I have a spare that
I acquired (I'm on cable.) OK it is a few years old and only
802.11g but it is ADSL2+ and its stats should indicate if it
too is loosing sync. Obviously if not then it is a router
problem.

Old August 12th 14, 08:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

On 12/08/2014 20:12, Woody wrote:
PO B/B is actually done by TalkTalk. I spoke to them (as PO)
this afternoon - couldn't have been more helpful. They
interrogated the router remotely and its stats showed it had
lost sync 15 times this morning but had been stable for six
hours - the same six hours when it was not being used in
anger.

Suggests to me that it is a router fault but TT say they
have to send out a tech first to check the line (presumably
BTOR?)

No, I know someone on TalkTalk and the engineer they sent was
one of their 'agents' and certainly not from BTOR, (which surprised me)

--
Mark
Old August 12th 14, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Tue, 12 Aug 2014 20:15:35 +0100, Mark Carver
wrote:

On 12/08/2014 20:12, Woody wrote:
PO B/B is actually done by TalkTalk. I spoke to them (as PO)
this afternoon - couldn't have been more helpful. They
interrogated the router remotely and its stats showed it had
lost sync 15 times this morning but had been stable for six
hours - the same six hours when it was not being used in
anger.

Suggests to me that it is a router fault but TT say they
have to send out a tech first to check the line (presumably
BTOR?)

No, I know someone on TalkTalk and the engineer they sent was
one of their 'agents' and certainly not from BTOR, (which surprised me)

They will get a "Bright Spark" like my neighbour did.
https://flic.kr/p/dC6Cwj

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old August 12th 14, 09:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 12/08/14 20:12, Woody wrote:
"Roderick Stewart" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

[...]

I've had this on a router that was lightning affected.

rare story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge. - Erwin Knoll
Old August 12th 14, 10:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Tue, 12 Aug 2014 20:12:36 +0100, "Woody"
wrote:

PO B/B is actually done by TalkTalk. I spoke to them (as PO)
this afternoon - couldn't have been more helpful. They
interrogated the router remotely and its stats showed it had
lost sync 15 times this morning but had been stable for six
hours - the same six hours when it was not being used in
anger.

Suggests to me that it is a router fault but TT say they
have to send out a tech first to check the line (presumably
BTOR?) and if it is due to internal problems on the premises
there will be a charge of 144. The router is plugged
directly into the master socket.

The fact that there will be a hefty charge if the problem turns out to
be the customer's own equipment suggests to me that it would be in his
best interests to check as many things as can be checked locally
first. In particular, check the connection between the computer and
the router, which you can do any time, regardless of internet. If it's
wireless, all the more reason to suspect it.

What were the on-screen indications and the router lamp indications
while the problem was showing? This will indicate whether it is a
local problem or a genuine internet connection problem. The internet
may have been disconnected 15 times, but did any of them coincide with
a time when the customer was experiencing "loss of internet"? Was
there ever a "loss of internet" while the actual internet connection
was OK? Does it continue to lose internet connection, or was it only
this morning? It could be expensive for somebody else to check things
that you could check first.

Rod.
Old August 12th 14, 11:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael R N Dolbear

"Roderick Stewart" wrote

for a BT vDSL iPlate and he now gets 10.68Mb - when it is
there. Even before the faceplate change he was moaning (a
bit) that his laptop kept reporting loss of Internet. He
tells me it has been OK over most of the weekend but was
repeatedly dropping out this morning.

Does anyone know if this is typical of PO Broadband and
if
so what is the best approach to getting them to have a
look

[...]
[...]

Indeed it is well worth while trying another computer such as a tablet in
case the problem is wholly or partly a Windows one.

I have had Windows report "partial connection" when a Kindle Fire had no
difficulty at all and no problem was showing on the (Plusnet) router.

--
Mike D