customer moving house problem

Old August 13th 14, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Default customer moving house problem

Customer buys new house. Moved in on 6 August. Successfully arranged
for line rental and call charges through his preferred supplier. Phone
service works OK.

He now wants broadband. I apply on his behalf to Zen. Their website
says there is already an internet service on that line, so it wants a
migration code.

Previous owner clearly did have broadband - almost certainly FTTC given
the Openreach-installed faceplate filter and extension wiring.

But why was this not cancelled automatically when previous owner sold
the property?

Would you expect buyer's solicitor to have checked for that, in the same
way that he should have verified that the previous owner's mortgage was
paid up, electricity, gas and water bills were paid up, that the new
owner is not responsible for maintaining the local church, and that he
is properly informed about local building works affecting the property,
etc ....

Is there a lawyer here who could comment?

Is it likely this will resolve itself because there is delay in the BT
system as regards recording cancellations? We think the previous
broadband supplier was BT.

--
Graham J
Old August 13th 14, 11:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 11:38:25 +0100
Graham J wrote:

Would you expect buyer's solicitor to have checked for that, in the
same way that he should have verified that the previous owner's
mortgage was paid up, electricity, gas and water bills were paid up,
that the new owner is not responsible for maintaining the local
church, and that he is properly informed about local building works
affecting the property, etc ....

Is there a lawyer here who could comment?

I'm not a lawyer, but I would think that the checks for somebody
leaving would only be that all bills are paid, not that the services
have been terminated. For other services, such as water, electricity,
gas, it would be better if they were maintained during a short
transition rather than stopped.

--
Davey.
Old August 13th 14, 11:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

On 13/08/2014 11:38, Graham J wrote:
[...]

You say the Zen website wants a MAC have you not phoned Zen and asked
them about problem?
Can Zen not set account up over the phone?
Regards
David
Old August 13th 14, 12:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

David wrote:

[snip]

You say the Zen website wants a MAC have you not phoned Zen and asked
them about problem?
Can Zen not set account up over the phone?
Regards
David

Yes, I phoned Zen. They can't move until either they get a MAC or the
previous service is cancelled.

I understand there are new OFCOM rules coming into force November 2014.

More info at:
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/consumer-switching-review/?a=0&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Zen+Internet&utm_ campaign=4431847_140722+-+LP+-+Ofcom+Message+1+|+Partners&utm_content=OfcomWebsi teButton&dm_i=IJT,2MZMV,2KOGOP,9N1SM,1

--
Graham J

Old August 13th 14, 01:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Mc

Graham J wrote:

: Is there a lawyer here who could comment?

: Is it likely this will resolve itself because there is delay in the BT
: system as regards recording cancellations? We think the previous
: broadband supplier was BT.

I am not a lawyer BUT I do know that it is (or should be impossible) to
have broadband without a phone line - OpenReach do not allow it and
their system are setup to prevent it! The previous owner
(presumably) terminating phone service WILL terminate any broadband
he had - with possible some delay!

Old August 13th 14, 02:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 11:52:49 +0100, Davey
wrote:

Would you expect buyer's solicitor to have checked for that, in the
same way that he should have verified that the previous owner's
mortgage was paid up, electricity, gas and water bills were paid up,
that the new owner is not responsible for maintaining the local
church, and that he is properly informed about local building works
affecting the property, etc ....

Is there a lawyer here who could comment?

I'm not a lawyer, but I would think that the checks for somebody
leaving would only be that all bills are paid, not that the services
have been terminated. For other services, such as water, electricity,
gas, it would be better if they were maintained during a short
transition rather than stopped.

It's also possible that the previous owners are continuing to pay for
a broadband service they've forgotten about or didn't realise they
needed to cancel. Perhaps they just cancelled the phone and thought
that was enough. As long as their ISP continues to receive payments
nothing will happen.

Perhaps the best approach is via the previous owners of the house. You
could ask them nicely to get in touch with their ISP to make sure the
account is cancelled. For legal reasons a cancellation request would
have to come from the registered account holder, who should be asked
to verify some personal details relating to the account, so it's
unlikely anyone else will be able to do this.

Rod.
Old August 13th 14, 02:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

wrote:

[...]

If that fails, t might be worth looking at asking for a new number, with
new line if need be, and cancel the existing one. Then it would
presumably fall into oblivion once nobody is paying for it. But if the
current contract is with BT, then there is probably a minimum 12 month
period before this can be done.
Just thoughts.

--
Davey.
Old August 13th 14, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Brian Mc wrote:
Graham J wrote:

: Is there a lawyer here who could comment?

: Is it likely this will resolve itself because there is delay in the BT
: system as regards recording cancellations? We think the previous
: broadband supplier was BT.

I am not a lawyer BUT I do know that it is (or should be impossible) to
have broadband without a phone line - OpenReach do not allow it and
their system are setup to prevent it! The previous owner
(presumably) terminating phone service WILL terminate any broadband
he had - with possible some delay!

I now know that the previous owner took the line number, rental, calls,
and broadband with them to their new location. Their supplier was BT.

My customer bought the new number, line rental, and calls from Unicom.
He very carefully explained to them that he would not use them for
broadband, and so far has not paid them anything in relation to
broadband. I suspect this is either a mistake by Unicom - or more
likely very sharp practise by their sales people.

Consumer programmes on Radio 4 have warned against using Unicom for
months now.

So it's not the fault of the conveyancing solicitor ...

Customer is now talking to Unicom. Don't hold your breath!

--
Graham J

Old August 13th 14, 04:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

On 13/08/2014 16:22, Graham J wrote:
Brian Mc wrote:
Graham J wrote:

My customer bought the new number, line rental, and calls from Unicom.
He very carefully explained to them that he would not use them for
broadband, and so far has not paid them anything in relation to
broadband. I suspect this is either a mistake by Unicom - or more
likely very sharp practise by their sales people.

Consumer programmes on Radio 4 have warned against using Unicom for
months now.

So it's not the fault of the conveyancing solicitor ...

Customer is now talking to Unicom. Don't hold your breath!

Bought a phone number.
Never heard of that before just thought you got allocated an unused one.
Regards
David
Old August 13th 14, 04:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Brian Mc wrote:
Graham J wrote:

My customer bought the new number, line rental, and calls from Unicom.
He very carefully explained to them that he would not use them for
broadband, and so far has not paid them anything in relation to
broadband. I suspect this is either a mistake by Unicom - or more
likely very sharp practise by their sales people.

Consumer programmes on Radio 4 have warned against using Unicom for
months now.

So it's not the fault of the conveyancing solicitor ...

Customer is now talking to Unicom. Don't hold your breath!

Bought a phone number.
Never heard of that before just thought you got allocated an unused one.
Regards
David

Just a figure of speech - yes, probably then next unused number from Unicom.

I'm sure there are services that will sell you "pretty" numbers. A local
taxi business has 766666 and I've also seen 577777 in Colchester.

--
Graham J