Old style telephone wiring....and BT infinity?

Old August 28th 14, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Beasley

Default Old style telephone wiring....and BT infinity?

On 20/08/2014 22:11, NY wrote:

Was it only available literally to next door neighbours (eg in adjacent
houses of a semi-detached pair) or could the two parties be several
houses apart?

It could be several houses apart - we were at no 49 and shared a party
line with no 57.

Old April 6th 19, 02:03 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Lucifer

On Tue, 19 Aug 2014 21:10:31 +0100, Graham J
wrote:

David wrote:
On 19/08/2014 20:24, David wrote:
On 19/08/2014 20:13, wrote:
I live in an old victorian house, which has a phone line which goes to
a bakelite box 4.5 x 2.5 x 2.5 inches, which I think is a surge
suppressor. It has an earth wire connected to outside the property.
The line then runs to a junction box, where it is fed to an old
bakelite (type 26?) ringer bell, and also to two old style sockets. I
guess this was all installed late 50s or early 60s, At present I run
an adsl2 connection to one of these sockets with adsl filters on each.
I am only a few hundred metres from the exchange and get about 17Mb
and 0.8Mb feeds in and out.
The exchange has just been upgraded with FTTC cabinets in the
locality, the nearest 200m away. These are now live and I want to
upgrade. What needs to happen to my antiquated phone wiring? Will
BT/Openreach install a new mastersocket, and if so can I specify the
location? One of the existing sockets would be good, but the junction
box is in a hall way and totally inconvenient.

Comments welcome.

I think you would do well to subscribe and ask in uk.tech.broadband.
Regards
David

CORRECTION

uk.telecom.broadband

The bakelite box is a lightning arrester.

See discussion he

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/897522

This is in Australia but I removed a similar device from my UK property
some years ago.

Imageshack wants a log in.

Old April 6th 19, 02:05 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Lucifer

On Tue, 19 Aug 2014 21:55:46 +0100, Adrian C
wrote:

On 19/08/14 21:10, Graham J wrote:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/897522

This is in Australia but I removed a similar device from my UK property
some years ago.

This is mine (with fuses)

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/a...r/IMG_2832.jpg

Sorry, the requested page does not exist.

Please check the URL for correct spelling and capitalization.

I've got FTTC running quite nicely through it.

Old April 6th 19, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Geo

wrote:

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/a...r/IMG_2832.jpg

Sorry, the requested page does not exist.

Please check the URL for correct spelling and capitalization.

Please check the date of posting before hitting keyboard.
..