Error 421 Unexpected failure, please try later

Old August 20th 14, 09:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Default Error 421 Unexpected failure, please try later

This message appears immediately I send an email. Has been a problem
since early this morning (20 August) but not previously.

Tried several things to no effect:

1) Send from different email accounts, each with its own SMTP server.
So problem is not related to a specific mail server.

2) Send from different PC on LAN. New PC uses Outlook 2013, the older
one uses Outlook 2003. So not an Outlook problem.

3) Reboot router. So not a DNS problem

4) Reboot PC (the newer one). So not DNS or PC problem

5) Check antivirus. New one runs AVG 2014, old one runs AVG 2012. Both
fully up to date, neither configured to scan outgoing email. Not not an
antivirus problem.

However, send from a different PC at a different location, using same
SMTP server as one of the earlier tests. ISP is same in both cases
(Zen) - and this sends OK. So suspect some sort of routing issue within
Zen?

Can't do any more testing until lunchtime, so any ideas what I should
look for?

--
Graham J
Old August 20th 14, 09:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_2_]

Graham J wrote:

Can't do any more testing until lunchtime, so any ideas what I should
look for?

Does your ISP intercept all port 25 traffic and push it through their
own SMTP servers rather than the one you intended, the way Freeserve
used to?

Old August 20th 14, 09:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

On 20/08/14 09:40, Graham J wrote:
[...]

Try Telnet to the SMTP server.

e.g. http://www.anta.net/misc/telnet-trou...ing/smtp.shtml

--
Adrian C
Old August 20th 14, 11:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Andy Burns wrote:
Graham J wrote:

Can't do any more testing until lunchtime, so any ideas what I should
look for?

Does your ISP intercept all port 25 traffic and push it through their
own SMTP servers rather than the one you intended, the way Freeserve
used to?

Not that I know of ...

It's Zen at the problem location and at the alternative site where email
can be sent, so unless Zen intercept traffic for only some of their
users ...

--
Graham J

Old August 20th 14, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_2_]

Graham J wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Does your ISP intercept all port 25 traffic

Not that I know of ...

When telnetting to the desired SMTP server port 25, does it announce
itself as something you'd expect?

It's Zen

Wouldn't expect it of Zen.

at the problem location and at the alternative site where email
can be sent, so unless Zen intercept traffic for only some of their
users ...

someone else intercepting it?

/conspiracytheory

Old August 20th 14, 02:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

[...]

You should have googled the error code

421: Service not available, closing transmission channel
Basically this means the relay is down or overloaded.

rare story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge. - Erwin Knoll
Old August 20th 14, 03:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
[...]

I did, but did not find that. Mostly I found suggestions relating to
antivirus programs interfering, or a problem with one particular SMTP
server. Nothing that would affect all the different SMTP servers that I
tested.

Both computers have been shut down since my testing this morning, but at
lunchtime we restarted the more modern PC - and Outlook 2013 sends mail
perfectly OK. So the problem has resolved itself, without me doing
anything different to what I already tried.

Curiously all the other traffic through the same internet connection
worked fine (I was testing via a LAN-LAN VPN implemented through the
routers (here and at the problem site).

Do you suspect that Zen is actually relaying the SMTP traffic rather
than simply routing it?

--
Graham J

Old August 20th 14, 08:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Graham J wrote:
[...]

It's occured to me that all the SMTP servers I tried at the failing site
were hosted by the same organisation - nsdesign.co.uk - so it's possible
that there was a routing problem between them and Zen. Curiously the
failing site and NSDesign are both based near Glasgow.

The location where I got a good connection to the SMTP servers was in
Norfolk, so it would appear that the routing from Norfolk via Zen to
NSDesign worked OK.

--
Graham J

Old August 20th 14, 09:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rodney Pont

On Wed, 20 Aug 2014 20:39:10 +0100, Graham J wrote:

It's occured to me that all the SMTP servers I tried at the failing site
were hosted by the same organisation - nsdesign.co.uk - so it's possible
that there was a routing problem between them and Zen. Curiously the
failing site and NSDesign are both based near Glasgow.

I don't think it would be a routing problem since the 421 would come
from the SMTP server you were trying to connect to. Errors in the 400
range are temporary ones with an implicit 'Please try later' while 500
range errors are permanent telling you to go away :-)

--
Faster, cheaper, quieter than HS2
and built in 5 years;

Old August 20th 14, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 20/08/14 20:39, Graham J wrote:
so it's possible that there was a routing problem between them and Zen.
Curiously the failing site and NSDesign are both based near Glasgow.

The error is received FROM the relay normally so you were connecting.
Its just saying 'couldnt accept your message'

rare story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge. - Erwin Knoll