Socket upgrade/relocation and VDSL

Old August 21st 14, 08:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

Default Socket upgrade/relocation and VDSL

They're pulling fibre up the road

But ... the 'phone socket is in a place we don't like. Anyone know a way
we can get a shiny new master socket in the right place _without_ paying
an Openreach callout charge?

Andy
Old August 21st 14, 09:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flop

On 21/08/2014 20:37, Vir Campestris wrote:
They're pulling fibre up the road

But ... the 'phone socket is in a place we don't like. Anyone know a way
we can get a shiny new master socket in the right place _without_ paying
an Openreach callout charge?

Andy

When the BTOR engineer comes offer the use of the bathroom; a cup of
tea/coffee; biscuits.

They tend to be very helpful and will accommodate your preferences as
far as they can.

Decide what you want [and alternatives] before they arrive. Ideally,
just where you want the plate - then leave them to sort out the logistics.

Suggesting that you run cables under carpets/rugs usually upsets them
[H&S] and they will offer to find a more acceptable layout.

Trust their experience.

--

Flop

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children
Old August 22nd 14, 10:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 21/08/2014 20:37, Vir Campestris wrote:
They're pulling fibre up the road

But ... the 'phone socket is in a place we don't like. Anyone know a way
we can get a shiny new master socket in the right place _without_ paying
an Openreach callout charge?

Andy

DIY?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old August 22nd 14, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 22/08/2014 10:28, Roger Mills wrote:
On 21/08/2014 20:37, Vir Campestris wrote:
They're pulling fibre up the road

But ... the 'phone socket is in a place we don't like. Anyone know a way
we can get a shiny new master socket in the right place _without_ paying
an Openreach callout charge?

Andy

DIY?

AFAIK moving the master socket is a no-no.

I actually want the new location _nearer_ where the line arrives, and on
an outside wall. A single hole through the wall, and Robert is your
mother's brother. It should be tidier than the current arrangement,
where it runs along the gutter before dropping down.

Andy
Old August 23rd 14, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flop

On 22/08/2014 21:28, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 22/08/2014 10:28, Roger Mills wrote:
On 21/08/2014 20:37, Vir Campestris wrote:
They're pulling fibre up the road

But ... the 'phone socket is in a place we don't like. Anyone know a way
we can get a shiny new master socket in the right place _without_ paying
an Openreach callout charge?

Andy

DIY?

AFAIK moving the master socket is a no-no.

I actually want the new location _nearer_ where the line arrives, and on
an outside wall. A single hole through the wall, and Robert is your
mother's brother. It should be tidier than the current arrangement,
where it runs along the gutter before dropping down.

Andy

I suspect that you will find that the engineer will be perfectly happy
doing just that.

Our BTOR installer moved everything to the other side of the house with
a new drop wire thrown in.

The only problem he had was trying to go through the skirting board. He
hadn't realised it was cast concrete and not wood. [Don't ask because I
don't know].

Old August 23rd 14, 08:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory

On 22/08/2014 21:28, Vir Campestris wrote:
AFAIK moving the master socket is a no-no.

Yes not allowed, but I think that if you did do it and did it properly,
so it looked like an official installation you'd be unlikely to get into
trouble.

--

Brian Gregory (in the UK).
Old August 23rd 14, 11:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Sat, 23 Aug 2014 10:11:05 +0100
Flop wrote:

[...]

Anti-woodworm policy?

--
Davey.
Old September 2nd 14, 04:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Mc

Brian Gregory wrote:
: On 22/08/2014 21:28, Vir Campestris wrote:
: AFAIK moving the master socket is a no-no.

: Yes not allowed, but I think that if you did do it and did it properly,
: so it looked like an official installation you'd be unlikely to get into
: trouble.

Well my OpenReach Infinity engineer had no issues about moving the BT master
socket through to what was an extension back in March!

The original (BT Installed) NTE5 socket is still there but, inside it, the
incoming wire is firmly crimped on to a spare pair going to the extension.

At the former extension (now new actual master socket) is a new VDSL
type master socket.