Zen vs Xilo

Old August 23rd 14, 11:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Default Zen vs Xilo

With BT announcing price increases in December I've started looking at other
options. I'm with BT / Xilo at the moment and happy with them. But, Xilo
don't do land line rental in my area, Zen does apparently. Has any have
anything bad about to say about Zen ? , also do they offer 'off the meter'
at weekends and overnight as Xilo do. I'm much in favour of the less popular
'SOHO' ISP's rather than the run of the mill BT,VM, PN, TT etc. I can get
FTTC in my area as well

Old August 23rd 14, 12:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Sat, 23 Aug 2014 11:34:15 +0100
"Dave" wrote:

With BT announcing price increases in December I've started looking
at other options. I'm with BT / Xilo at the moment and happy with
them. But, Xilo don't do land line rental in my area, Zen does
apparently. Has any have anything bad about to say about Zen ? , also
do they offer 'off the meter' at weekends and overnight as Xilo do.
I'm much in favour of the less popular 'SOHO' ISP's rather than the
run of the mill BT,VM, PN, TT etc. I can get FTTC in my area as well

Find Zen'x rates he

http://www.zen.co.uk/home-office/voi...-services.aspx

--
Davey.
Old August 23rd 14, 01:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Dave" wrote:

With BT announcing price increases in December I've started looking
at other options. I'm with BT / Xilo at the moment and happy with
them. But, Xilo don't do land line rental in my area, Zen does
apparently. Has any have anything bad about to say about Zen ? , also
do they offer 'off the meter' at weekends and overnight as Xilo do.
I'm much in favour of the less popular 'SOHO' ISP's rather than the
run of the mill BT,VM, PN, TT etc. I can get FTTC in my area as well

Find Zen'x rates he

http://www.zen.co.uk/home-office/voi...-services.aspx

--
Davey.

Thanks, didn't know they did phone only, thought it was BB or phone + BB
only ...
Old August 24th 14, 10:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
grinch

No they offer " off meter " 24/7/365, see the homepage www.zen.co.uk/
Old August 25th 14, 01:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 22:15:48 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, Phil W Lee disturbed my reverie and
wrote:

I have a friend with them, who is very happy with
their service.

Paying that much money I doubt he'd admit otherwise g.
--
Cheers,

DrT

** You've never known happiness until you're married;
** but by then it is too late.
Old August 25th 14, 02:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

"Dave" wrote:

With BT announcing price increases in December I've started looking
at other options. I'm with BT / Xilo at the moment and happy with
them. But, Xilo don't do land line rental in my area, Zen does
apparently. Has any have anything bad about to say about Zen ? ,
also do they offer 'off the meter' at weekends and overnight as
Xilo do. I'm much in favour of the less popular 'SOHO' ISP's rather
than the run of the mill BT,VM, PN, TT etc. I can get FTTC in my
area as well

Find Zen'x rates he

http://www.zen.co.uk/home-office/voi...-services.aspx

Before I moved into this house, I arranged a BT 'phone line and Zen BB.
BT could not tell me what the number would be, only what it was once it
was connected, so I couldn't add the number to my change-of-address
cards; Zen agreed to have ADSL working by a certain Saturday, and in
fact had it operational by the Wednesday beforehand.
Having got fed up with BT's weird price changes and interminable
Rob_Peter_to_pay_Paul billing methods, I now use Zen for 'phone as
well. The bills are so simple!

--
Davey.
Old August 25th 14, 03:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 13:49:17 +0100, DrTeeth
wrote:

I have a friend with them, who is very happy with
their service.

Paying that much money I doubt he'd admit otherwise g.

They do cost a little more, but you get what you pay for. You get an
instantaneous data rate that's *really* not artificially limited at
any time of day (unlike most others which are "traffic managed", which
apparently doesn't count as the same thing when you're advertising it
as "unlimited"), and a monthly limit that's clearly stated and can be
checked online any time. You also get Tech Support who know what
they're talking about, and are based in England and can communicate by
phone, email or live online chat, depending on what's appropriate.

I don't think it's expensive just for the sake of being expensive. If
you know anyone who can provide the same quality of internet service
and support service for less, then tell us who they are.

Rod.
Old August 25th 14, 05:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 23/08/2014 11:34, Dave wrote:
With BT announcing price increases in December I've started looking at
other options. I'm with BT / Xilo at the moment and happy with them.
But, Xilo don't do land line rental in my area, Zen does apparently. Has
any have anything bad about to say about Zen ? , also do they offer 'off
the meter' at weekends and overnight as Xilo do. I'm much in favour of
the less popular 'SOHO' ISP's rather than the run of the mill BT,VM, PN,
TT etc. I can get FTTC in my area as well

I'm not sure what you've got against plusnet, but I've had them for line
rental and BB for several years now, with next to no issues. I have
their anytime+ package which includes unmetered calls at all times, plus
20 (I think) international lines.

I'd heartily recommend them.

Regarding the price increase I do wonder how many providers will resist
upping their prices too. I know VM are.
Old August 26th 14, 11:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"chris" wrote in message
On 23/08/2014 11:34, Dave wrote:
With BT announcing price increases in December I've started looking at
other options. I'm with BT / Xilo at the moment and happy with them.
But, Xilo don't do land line rental in my area, Zen does apparently. Has
any have anything bad about to say about Zen ? , also do they offer 'off
the meter' at weekends and overnight as Xilo do. I'm much in favour of
the less popular 'SOHO' ISP's rather than the run of the mill BT,VM, PN,
TT etc. I can get FTTC in my area as well

I'm not sure what you've got against plusnet, but I've had them for line
rental and BB for several years now, with next to no issues. I have their
anytime+ package which includes unmetered calls at all times, plus 20 (I
think) international lines.

I'd heartily recommend them.

Regarding the price increase I do wonder how many providers will resist
upping their prices too. I know VM are.

If they advertise on TV etc I tend think they can't be much good - reverse
login !.
But from reports (like yours) they don't seem that bad.

Also they block / 'traffic manage' torrents, Pirate bay etc not really an
issue with proxies etc thoough.
Also not a real issue for me directly but I don't like any form of
censorship... - that's also another issue altogether ...

Old August 26th 14, 01:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 26/08/2014 11:04, Dave wrote:

"chris" wrote in message
On 23/08/2014 11:34, Dave wrote:
[...]

I don't think they're any different to any ISP, they are just a bit more
upfront about it.

Traffic shaping is more of a pragmatic bandwidth management issue rather
than scary censorship. ISPs know that site blocking is futile, but 'the
authorities' require it in order to look like they are actively solving
problems.