Green Boxes

Old August 24th 14, 03:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

Default Green Boxes

Suddenly, with no fanfare, some dark green boxes are appearing in the
village. Are they Fibre? Two-door, maybe 6 feet wide, 1 foot deep, 4
foot high (very approx.)
We are not supposed to be getting fibre until late 2015, so this would
be early. If they run any cable, of course.

--
Davey.
Old August 24th 14, 05:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Davey" wrote in message
Suddenly, with no fanfare, some dark green boxes are
appearing in the
village. Are they Fibre? Two-door, maybe 6 feet wide, 1
foot deep, 4
foot high (very approx.)
We are not supposed to be getting fibre until late 2015,
so this would
be early. If they run any cable, of course.

If it is BT there may be some vents on one of the doors and
the lock units on the doors will be large(ish) castings with
a pair of short 'fingers' on each that interleave, the
padlock being fitted inside the casting from the underneath.

It certainly will not be VM.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old August 24th 14, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian C

On 24/08/14 15:52, Davey wrote:
Suddenly, with no fanfare, some dark green boxes are appearing in the
village. Are they Fibre? Two-door, maybe 6 feet wide, 1 foot deep, 4
foot high (very approx.)
We are not supposed to be getting fibre until late 2015, so this would
be early. If they run any cable, of course.

The aliens have landed but they got the wrong paint.

It should have dark blue, flashing blue light etc....

(I'll get my coat)

--
Adrian C
Old August 24th 14, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

On 24/08/2014 15:52, Davey wrote:
Suddenly, with no fanfare, some dark green boxes are appearing in the
village. Are they Fibre? Two-door, maybe 6 feet wide, 1 foot deep, 4
foot high (very approx.)

One of these ?

http://www.trefor.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/fttc_cabinet_medium.jpg

--
Mark
Old August 24th 14, 05:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

On 24/08/2014 17:30, Mark Carver wrote:
On 24/08/2014 15:52, Davey wrote:
Suddenly, with no fanfare, some dark green boxes are appearing in the
village. Are they Fibre? Two-door, maybe 6 feet wide, 1 foot deep, 4
foot high (very approx.)

One of these ?

http://www.trefor.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/fttc_cabinet_medium.jpg

A give away is that the fibre one as a Mains 240v sticker.
Regards
David
Old August 24th 14, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 17:30:52 +0100
Mark Carver wrote:

On 24/08/2014 15:52, Davey wrote:
Suddenly, with no fanfare, some dark green boxes are appearing in
the village. Are they Fibre? Two-door, maybe 6 feet wide, 1 foot
deep, 4 foot high (very approx.)

One of these ?

http://www.trefor.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/fttc_cabinet_medium.jpg

More like the one furthest away from the camera, from what I saw
driving past.

--
Davey.
Old August 24th 14, 08:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 17:37:27 +0100
David wrote:

On 24/08/2014 17:30, Mark Carver wrote:
On 24/08/2014 15:52, Davey wrote:
Suddenly, with no fanfare, some dark green boxes are appearing in
the village. Are they Fibre? Two-door, maybe 6 feet wide, 1 foot
deep, 4 foot high (very approx.)

One of these ?

http://www.trefor.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/fttc_cabinet_medium.jpg

A give away is that the fibre one as a Mains 240v sticker.
Regards
David

I didn't see any stickers. Probably not installed enough % yet. They
are only just being placed.

--
Davey.
Old August 24th 14, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 17:18:28 +0100
Adrian C wrote:

On 24/08/14 15:52, Davey wrote:
Suddenly, with no fanfare, some dark green boxes are appearing in
the village. Are they Fibre? Two-door, maybe 6 feet wide, 1 foot
deep, 4 foot high (very approx.)
We are not supposed to be getting fibre until late 2015, so this
would be early. If they run any cable, of course.

The aliens have landed but they got the wrong paint.

It should have dark blue, flashing blue light etc....

(I'll get my coat)

I saw that somewhere closer to London last night.....

--
Davey.
Old August 25th 14, 12:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flyig u 214 + on netbook

Phil W Lee wrote:
Davey considered Sun, 24 Aug 2014 15:52:46
+0100 the perfect time to write:

Suddenly, with no fanfare, some dark green boxes are appearing in the
village. Are they Fibre? Two-door, maybe 6 feet wide, 1 foot deep, 4
foot high (very approx.)
We are not supposed to be getting fibre until late 2015, so this
would be early. If they run any cable, of course.

Don't bet on anything - putting the cabinets in may just mean that
they have the right work crews in the area with nothing else
scheduled.
There are a number of pieces to the jigsaw, and the cabinet is only
one of them.
Just off the top of my head, they have to arrange power to the
cabinet, lay trunking between it and it's sister conventional cabinet
(but they may have included that in the build), pull fibre from the
exchange to the cabinet (which will probably form part of a "loop"
through several exchanges areas), upgrade the exchange, and probably
increase the backhaul bandwidth from the exchange before a service
actually becomes available.

We were originally scheduled to have FTTC available by December 31st
2012, but since then it's been rescheduled for March 31st 2013,
December 31st 2013, March 31st 2014 and most recently December 31st
2014, and in all that time our old green box (about 70 yards away)
appears to have remained unchanged, from the outside that is.
--
Heard messages are sweet but those Unheard are sweeter
FN 214+. Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland

Old August 25th 14, 01:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 15:52:46 +0100
Davey wrote:

Suddenly, with no fanfare, some dark green boxes are appearing in the
village. Are they Fibre? Two-door, maybe 6 feet wide, 1 foot deep, 4
foot high (very approx.)
We are not supposed to be getting fibre until late 2015, so this would
be early. If they run any cable, of course.

I'm wondering if these new boxes are just additional normal 'phone line
cabinets, maybe with an eye on future fibre? They are not near existing
boxes.

--
Davey.