Sky broadband. Resync events in the early hours of the morning

Old August 27th 14, 10:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

Default Sky broadband. Resync events in the early hours of the morning

I know it could be something in my local environment, but I'm inclined
to think it's something happening to the LLU kit at the exchange.
(Prestwich (MRPRE))

A single re-sync event each morning starting last Saturday.
Times courtisy of http://f8lure.mouselike.org/

Sat, 23 Aug 2014 01:47 GMT (estimated)
Sun, 24 Aug 2014 01:46:42 GMT
Mon, 25 Aug 2014 01:14:48 GMT
Tue, 26 Aug 2014 01:09:36 GMT
Wed, 27 Aug 2014 01:10:19 GMT

I'll post updates.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old August 27th 14, 11:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Graham. wrote:

I know it could be something in my local environment, but I'm inclined
to think it's something happening to the LLU kit at the exchange.
(Prestwich (MRPRE))

A single re-sync event each morning starting last Saturday.
Times courtisy of http://f8lure.mouselike.org/

Sat, 23 Aug 2014 01:47 GMT (estimated)
Sun, 24 Aug 2014 01:46:42 GMT
Mon, 25 Aug 2014 01:14:48 GMT
Tue, 26 Aug 2014 01:09:36 GMT
Wed, 27 Aug 2014 01:10:19 GMT

I'll post updates.

Most of the ADSL services I monitor re-sync in the early hours of some
mornings. I suspect BT break things overnight ...

--
Graham J

Old August 27th 14, 11:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

rOn Wed, 27 Aug 2014 23:28:13 +0100, Graham J
wrote:

I know it could be something in my local environment, but I'm inclined
to think it's something happening to the LLU kit at the exchange.
(Prestwich (MRPRE))

A single re-sync event each morning starting last Saturday.
Times courtisy of http://f8lure.mouselike.org/

Sat, 23 Aug 2014 01:47 GMT (estimated)
Sun, 24 Aug 2014 01:46:42 GMT
Mon, 25 Aug 2014 01:14:48 GMT
Tue, 26 Aug 2014 01:09:36 GMT
Wed, 27 Aug 2014 01:10:19 GMT

I'll post updates.

Most of the ADSL services I monitor re-sync in the early hours of some
mornings. I suspect BT break things overnight ...

So it's not just me then. I have FTTC, and the online time shown by my
router gets up to a maximum of about 30 days before resetting to zero.
Checking the log invariably shows PPP down followed about 30 seconds
later by PPP up, and always around 4am, plus or minus an hour or so.
The timing is definitely not random, so I assume it's something being
done deliberately, presumably at that time of day so as to ensure
minimum disruption.

Rod.
Old August 28th 14, 12:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

wrote:

Graham. wrote:

I know it could be something in my local environment, but I'm inclined
to think it's something happening to the LLU kit at the exchange.
(Prestwich (MRPRE))

A single re-sync event each morning starting last Saturday.
Times courtisy of http://f8lure.mouselike.org/

Sat, 23 Aug 2014 01:47 GMT (estimated)
Sun, 24 Aug 2014 01:46:42 GMT
Mon, 25 Aug 2014 01:14:48 GMT
Tue, 26 Aug 2014 01:09:36 GMT
Wed, 27 Aug 2014 01:10:19 GMT

I'll post updates.

Most of the ADSL services I monitor re-sync in the early hours of some
mornings. I suspect BT break things overnight ...

My BE connection never did that and my Sky BB has only started doing
this daily outage this week.

Unlike BE these SKY dynamic IPs are not in the least bit sticky, so
even a brief re sync changes the IP. I monitor mine using a DDNS host
name.

Since yesterday I have also been monitoring eight random Sky IP
addresses directly, they are all still up except one that fell off at

Wed, 27 Aug 2014 22:13:40 GMT.

I'm not reading any significance into that.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old August 28th 14, 07:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

One to watch.

Whenever BT do any system switching or planned routing work
it will always be done at 35 mins past the hour. This is
historical and was largely related to Strowger and crossbar
exchanges but from what I have heard has never been
recinded.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old August 28th 14, 01:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

On 27/08/2014 23:28, Graham J wrote:

Most of the ADSL services I monitor re-sync in the early hours of some
mornings. I suspect BT break things overnight ...

Or more likely preventative maintenance, does it matter for a domestic
grade service ? Seems the best time to carry out the work ?

I get one or two overnight breaks on my Plusnet FTTC per month. Might be
BT, might be Plusnet, I don't really care because I'm fast asleep.

--
Mark
Old August 28th 14, 01:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

On 28/08/2014 13:31, Mark Carver wrote:
On 27/08/2014 23:28, Graham J wrote:

Most of the ADSL services I monitor re-sync in the early hours of some
mornings. I suspect BT break things overnight ...

Or more likely preventative maintenance, does it matter for a domestic
grade service ? Seems the best time to carry out the work ?

I get one or two overnight breaks on my Plusnet FTTC per month. Might be
BT, might be Plusnet, I don't really care because I'm fast asleep.

Do these breaks in service bring the sync. speed down?
Regards
David
Old August 28th 14, 01:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

On 28/08/2014 13:54, David wrote:
On 28/08/2014 13:31, Mark Carver wrote:
On 27/08/2014 23:28, Graham J wrote:

Most of the ADSL services I monitor re-sync in the early hours of some
mornings. I suspect BT break things overnight ...

Or more likely preventative maintenance, does it matter for a domestic
grade service ? Seems the best time to carry out the work ?

I get one or two overnight breaks on my Plusnet FTTC per month. Might be
BT, might be Plusnet, I don't really care because I'm fast asleep.

Do these breaks in service bring the sync. speed down?

They shouldn't do, and in many cases there may not actually be any loss
of sync anyway, particularly with FTTC, where the work is happening
upstream of the cabinet, i.e at the exchange.

--
Mark
Old August 28th 14, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Thu, 28 Aug 2014 13:31:02 +0100, Mark Carver
wrote:

On 27/08/2014 23:28, Graham J wrote:

Most of the ADSL services I monitor re-sync in the early hours of some
mornings. I suspect BT break things overnight ...

Or more likely preventative maintenance, does it matter for a domestic
grade service ? Seems the best time to carry out the work ?

I get one or two overnight breaks on my Plusnet FTTC per month. Might be
BT, might be Plusnet, I don't really care because I'm fast asleep.

All my phone calls go via VoIP and it's not inconcevable for a call to
be in progress at that time, but it's not happened so far.

The good news is there was no "event" this morning.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%