A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

Draytek Vigor 2760N router slower sync speed



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 16th 14, 09:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CD
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13
Default Draytek Vigor 2760N router slower sync speed

Hi all

I'm with Sky & have been using the "Sky Hub" which to be honest worked
just fine. With O2 & their router before the buyout I got a downstream
of around 18500 with about 1500 up. On the Sky hub this has crept up
to over 20000 down.
I obtained a Draytek Vigor 2760N to have continued dynamic dns
support, this is a VDSL router that does ADSL too with a lot of bells
& whistles.
Sync speed was a bit slower, back in the 18000s & has now dropped to
16500.
Putting the Sky one back gets it back up to speed in no time, so this
must be a router issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks

CD

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com

  #2  
Old September 16th 14, 10:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 525
Default Draytek Vigor 2760N router slower sync speed

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 09:17:51 +0100, CD wrote:

Hi all

I'm with Sky & have been using the "Sky Hub" which to be honest worked
just fine. With O2 & their router before the buyout I got a downstream
of around 18500 with about 1500 up. On the Sky hub this has crept up
to over 20000 down.
I obtained a Draytek Vigor 2760N to have continued dynamic dns
support, this is a VDSL router that does ADSL too with a lot of bells
& whistles.
Sync speed was a bit slower, back in the 18000s & has now dropped to
16500.
Putting the Sky one back gets it back up to speed in no time, so this
must be a router issue.


At a guess I'd just say some routers have better modems than others.
--
(\__/) M.
(='.'=) If a man stands in a forest and no woman is around
(")_(") is he still wrong?

  #3  
Old September 16th 14, 01:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,728
Default Draytek Vigor 2760N router slower sync speed

On 16/09/14 09:17, CD wrote:
Hi all

I'm with Sky & have been using the "Sky Hub" which to be honest worked
just fine. With O2 & their router before the buyout I got a downstream
of around 18500 with about 1500 up. On the Sky hub this has crept up
to over 20000 down.
I obtained a Draytek Vigor 2760N to have continued dynamic dns
support, this is a VDSL router that does ADSL too with a lot of bells
& whistles.
Sync speed was a bit slower, back in the 18000s & has now dropped to
16500.
Putting the Sky one back gets it back up to speed in no time, so this
must be a router issue.

Any ideas?


I now have a router which syncs slower, but stays there much better. Its
down to signal to noise margins built in (possibly configurable) on the kit.




Thanks

CD

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com



--
Everything you read in newspapers is absolutely true, except for the
rare story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge. - Erwin Knoll
  #4  
Old September 16th 14, 01:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,728
Default Draytek Vigor 2760N router slower sync speed

On 16/09/14 10:12, Mark wrote:
On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 09:17:51 +0100, CD wrote:

Hi all

I'm with Sky & have been using the "Sky Hub" which to be honest worked
just fine. With O2 & their router before the buyout I got a downstream
of around 18500 with about 1500 up. On the Sky hub this has crept up
to over 20000 down.
I obtained a Draytek Vigor 2760N to have continued dynamic dns
support, this is a VDSL router that does ADSL too with a lot of bells
& whistles.
Sync speed was a bit slower, back in the 18000s & has now dropped to
16500.
Putting the Sky one back gets it back up to speed in no time, so this
must be a router issue.


At a guess I'd just say some routers have better modems than others.

My experience suggest some routers run their modems at lower SNR ratios
to get better headline speeds at the expense of getting a lot of
retrains and packet corruption.


My defunct billion would allow meto 'add gain' to the chipset to get
anything from slow and solid to fast and flaky.

--
Everything you read in newspapers is absolutely true, except for the
rare story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge. - Erwin Knoll
  #5  
Old September 16th 14, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 525
Default Draytek Vigor 2760N router slower sync speed

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 13:18:25 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 16/09/14 10:12, Mark wrote:
On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 09:17:51 +0100, CD wrote:

Hi all

I'm with Sky & have been using the "Sky Hub" which to be honest worked
just fine. With O2 & their router before the buyout I got a downstream
of around 18500 with about 1500 up. On the Sky hub this has crept up
to over 20000 down.
I obtained a Draytek Vigor 2760N to have continued dynamic dns
support, this is a VDSL router that does ADSL too with a lot of bells
& whistles.
Sync speed was a bit slower, back in the 18000s & has now dropped to
16500.
Putting the Sky one back gets it back up to speed in no time, so this
must be a router issue.


At a guess I'd just say some routers have better modems than others.

My experience suggest some routers run their modems at lower SNR ratios
to get better headline speeds at the expense of getting a lot of
retrains and packet corruption.


IIRC modems usually use the target SNR margin given to them by the
DSLAM. Some devices allow you to override it. I certainly saw
different routers connecting at different speeds, but with the same
noise margins, unless they were lying. Higher margins do give greater
stability.

My defunct billion would allow meto 'add gain' to the chipset to get
anything from slow and solid to fast and flaky.


I could tweak the SNR on my Netgear ADSL router (with DGteam firmware)
but could not match the speeds from the 2-wire (BT business hub).
--
(\__/) M.
(='.'=) If a man stands in a forest and no woman is around
(")_(") is he still wrong?

  #6  
Old September 16th 14, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,728
Default Draytek Vigor 2760N router slower sync speed

On 16/09/14 13:53, Mark wrote:
On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 13:18:25 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 16/09/14 10:12, Mark wrote:
On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 09:17:51 +0100, CD wrote:

Hi all

I'm with Sky & have been using the "Sky Hub" which to be honest worked
just fine. With O2 & their router before the buyout I got a downstream
of around 18500 with about 1500 up. On the Sky hub this has crept up
to over 20000 down.
I obtained a Draytek Vigor 2760N to have continued dynamic dns
support, this is a VDSL router that does ADSL too with a lot of bells
& whistles.
Sync speed was a bit slower, back in the 18000s & has now dropped to
16500.
Putting the Sky one back gets it back up to speed in no time, so this
must be a router issue.

At a guess I'd just say some routers have better modems than others.

My experience suggest some routers run their modems at lower SNR ratios
to get better headline speeds at the expense of getting a lot of
retrains and packet corruption.


IIRC modems usually use the target SNR margin given to them by the
DSLAM. Some devices allow you to override it. I certainly saw
different routers connecting at different speeds, but with the same
noise margins, unless they were lying. Higher margins do give greater
stability.

My defunct billion would allow meto 'add gain' to the chipset to get
anything from slow and solid to fast and flaky.


I could tweak the SNR on my Netgear ADSL router (with DGteam firmware)
but could not match the speeds from the 2-wire (BT business hub).

fastest DSL I got was with the cheapest router. TP-LINK. It was also the
flakiest.


--
Everything you read in newspapers is absolutely true, except for the
rare story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge. - Erwin Knoll
  #7  
Old September 16th 14, 06:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CD
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13
Default Draytek Vigor 2760N router slower sync speed

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 13:16:33 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:


I now have a router which syncs slower, but stays there much better. Its
down to signal to noise margins built in (possibly configurable) on the kit.


Well, it dropped down to 15400ish, Sky router is back on & I'm using
the changeip homing beacon software to do the updates as I have an
always on server PC in the garage for it to sit on. The Draytek shall
go back to whence it came.

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com

  #8  
Old September 16th 14, 07:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 723
Default Draytek Vigor 2760N router slower sync speed

CD wrote:
On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 13:16:33 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:


I now have a router which syncs slower, but stays there much better. Its
down to signal to noise margins built in (possibly configurable) on the kit.


Well, it dropped down to 15400ish, Sky router is back on & I'm using
the changeip homing beacon software to do the updates as I have an
always on server PC in the garage for it to sit on. The Draytek shall
go back to whence it came.


As others have said, this is probably because different routers set
different limits for the data rate versus connection reliability.

Please tell us, for both routers, the:

Downstream sync speed, SNR Margin, Loop Attenuation, error count

Upstream sync speed, SNR Margin, Loop Attenuation, error count.

The Vigor router might only show all these parameters for the downstream
direction.

We might then be able to comment further.

In general, a 20% improvement in download speed will be irrelevant.
Better reliability will be much more useful.

--
Graham J


  #9  
Old September 17th 14, 08:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CD
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13
Default Draytek Vigor 2760N router slower sync speed

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 19:07:04 +0100, Graham J
wrote:


Please tell us, for both routers, the:

Downstream sync speed, SNR Margin, Loop Attenuation, error count

Upstream sync speed, SNR Margin, Loop Attenuation, error count.

The Vigor router might only show all these parameters for the downstream
direction.


Here's the Sky stats, I'm doing this remotely so can't get the Vigor
stats till later.

Down:
18014 kbps (this will go up over the next few days to high 19/low 20)
Line Attenuation 30.0 dB
Noise Margin 6.6 dB

Nothing for errors I can see I do have collision packets which is
zero.

Up:
1213 kbps (will go up to 15ish)
Line Attenuation 18.2 dB
Noise Margin 8.8 dB

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com

  #10  
Old September 17th 14, 09:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 165
Default Draytek Vigor 2760N router slower sync speed

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 06:33:07 +0100, Phil W Lee
wrote:

CD considered Tue, 16 Sep 2014 18:55:28 +0100 the perfect
time to write:

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 13:16:33 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:


I now have a router which syncs slower, but stays there much better. Its
down to signal to noise margins built in (possibly configurable) on the kit.


Well, it dropped down to 15400ish, Sky router is back on & I'm using
the changeip homing beacon software to do the updates as I have an
always on server PC in the garage for it to sit on. The Draytek shall
go back to whence it came.

Get the Billion BiPAC 8800NL instead.


--snip--

Good value. It's a shame it doesn't have dual-band wifi though but
that's not a real problem.

Has anyone compared it with a Draytek 2860n?

 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trouble with new Draytek Vigor 2500 ADSL modem/router m uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 5 January 23rd 05 12:05 AM
DRAYTEK VIGOR 2600 PLUS ADSL ROUTER Stephen (Sausagefans.com) uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 11 July 7th 04 04:12 PM
Draytek Vigor 2600 ADSL Wireless Router Ken uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 5 January 4th 04 10:39 AM
Draytek Vigor 2600 ADSL Wireless Router Steve uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 January 3rd 04 10:36 AM
Cheapest place for Draytek Vigor 2600 router tHatDudeUK uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 12 October 17th 03 09:18 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright ©2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.