Wi-fi at Premier Inns.

Old September 16th 14, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Default Wi-fi at Premier Inns.

Anyone any experience of how the 24 hour charge works at Premier Inns?
Earlier this year I stayed at one and bought 24 hour usage I was on the
Internet twice at 1 hour each time.
My question is the unused 22 hours is that now lost?
I still have the code and wondering if it turns out I have the 22 hours
credit will I be able to use it at a new location?
Somehow I doubt it but best to be sure before a further purchase.
Regards
David
Old September 17th 14, 12:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB

On 16/09/2014 23:02, David wrote:
Anyone any experience of how the 24 hour charge works at Premier Inns?
Earlier this year I stayed at one and bought 24 hour usage I was on the
Internet twice at 1 hour each time.
My question is the unused 22 hours is that now lost?
I still have the code and wondering if it turns out I have the 22 hours
credit will I be able to use it at a new location?
Somehow I doubt it but best to be sure before a further purchase.
Regards
David

The 24 hours starts when you first connect and expires 24 hours later.
You cannot use spread the 24 hours over a longer period.

I am not sure whether it covers more than one connection. Last year I
was having a bit of a problem connecting so tries the tablet. I seemed
to get locked out and wondered whether only one device could be
connected but not checked since.

I think you still get 30 minutes free so if only staying one night you
can connect again in the morning and so get a total of 60 minutes.

Some of the free WiFi places are getting a bit of a PITA, I used to
quite often use MacDonalds because there is no nearly always at least
one with parking at any town. I would buy a drink and download my mail
but now you need a mobile phone to be able to register.

Old September 22nd 14, 09:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

On 16/09/2014 23:02, David wrote:
Anyone any experience of how the 24 hour charge works at Premier Inns?
Earlier this year I stayed at one and bought 24 hour usage I was on the
Internet twice at 1 hour each time.
My question is the unused 22 hours is that now lost?
I still have the code and wondering if it turns out I have the 22 hours
credit will I be able to use it at a new location?

I refuse on principle to pay hotel WifI charges. It's as ludicrous as
being separately charged for electricity, water, or soap !

Get a 3 or 4G MiFi pebble, and a PAYG data SIM, and/or tether
a smart phone to your laptop or tablet (if your mobile contract allows)

--
Mark
Old September 22nd 14, 01:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

MB wrote:
I am not sure whether it covers more than one connection. Last year I
was having a bit of a problem connecting so tries the tablet. I seemed
to get locked out and wondered whether only one device could be
connected but not checked since.

I think you still get 30 minutes free so if only staying one night you
can connect again in the morning and so get a total of 60 minutes.

If you get '30 mins free wifi', try changing your MAC address. It won't
help if you have to login with room number or whatever, but otherwise you
should get 30 mins each time. If changing MAC address is too much faff, try
using multiple devices. Though IME the reliability of wifi in buildings
like hotels is often atrocious so you get failures for other reasons
(signal, DHCP exhaustion, etc).

Theo
Old September 22nd 14, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB

On 22/09/2014 09:18, Mark Carver wrote:
On 16/09/2014 23:02, David wrote:
Anyone any experience of how the 24 hour charge works at Premier Inns?
Earlier this year I stayed at one and bought 24 hour usage I was on the
Internet twice at 1 hour each time.
My question is the unused 22 hours is that now lost?
I still have the code and wondering if it turns out I have the 22 hours
credit will I be able to use it at a new location?

I refuse on principle to pay hotel WifI charges. It's as ludicrous as
being separately charged for electricity, water, or soap !

Get a 3 or 4G MiFi pebble, and a PAYG data SIM, and/or tether
a smart phone to your laptop or tablet (if your mobile contract allows)

I prefer somewhere with free WiFi But I would rather spend a few quid to
get WiFi access then much more down in the bar as many seem to find
quite acceptable.

Old September 22nd 14, 09:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB

On 22/09/2014 13:26, Theo Markettos wrote:
If you get '30 mins free wifi', try changing your MAC address. It won't
help if you have to login with room number or whatever, but otherwise you
should get 30 mins each time. If changing MAC address is too much faff, try
using multiple devices. Though IME the reliability of wifi in buildings
like hotels is often atrocious so you get failures for other reasons
(signal, DHCP exhaustion, etc).

It's not worth the hassle.

Rarely had any problem with WiFi reception in modern hotels but I always
check before paying up.

Old September 23rd 14, 08:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

On 22/09/2014 21:48, MB wrote:

I prefer somewhere with free WiFi But I would rather spend a few quid to
get WiFi access then much more down in the bar as many seem to find
quite acceptable.

Depends whether you consider internet access to be recreational or an
essential utility. Mind you, you could draw the same comparisons
regarding drinking :-)

--
Mark
Old September 23rd 14, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB

On 23/09/2014 08:03, Mark Carver wrote:
On 22/09/2014 21:48, MB wrote:

I prefer somewhere with free WiFi But I would rather spend a few quid to
get WiFi access then much more down in the bar as many seem to find
quite acceptable.

Depends whether you consider internet access to be recreational or an
essential utility. Mind you, you could draw the same comparisons
regarding drinking :-)

That was the point, some will moan about spending a couple of quid on
WiFi but think nothing of spending much more than that in the bar.

It's usually a combination of keeping in touch, reading around various
sites, looking things up and uploading photographs.

Old September 23rd 14, 02:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

MB wrote:
That was the point, some will moan about spending a couple of quid on
WiFi but think nothing of spending much more than that in the bar.

In a hotel I was recently in, it was EUR10 per day (run by one of the
national ISPs, not the hotel). Which was a little over the top,
particularly given it didn't work very well to begin with.

Also, payment can be a problem - elsewhere, there was one network I wanted
to use and was decent value, but couldn't because it did billing from a
local SIM which I didn't have.

Theo
Old September 24th 14, 11:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 09:18:51 +0100, Mark Carver
wrote:

On 16/09/2014 23:02, David wrote:
Anyone any experience of how the 24 hour charge works at Premier Inns?
Earlier this year I stayed at one and bought 24 hour usage I was on the
Internet twice at 1 hour each time.
My question is the unused 22 hours is that now lost?
I still have the code and wondering if it turns out I have the 22 hours
credit will I be able to use it at a new location?

I refuse on principle to pay hotel WifI charges. It's as ludicrous as
being separately charged for electricity, water, or soap !

Get a 3 or 4G MiFi pebble, and a PAYG data SIM, and/or tether
a smart phone to your laptop or tablet (if your mobile contract allows)

You can still make outside calls from the phone in many hotel rooms, I
wouldn't consider doing so unless the place caught fire.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%