Fibre Availability by Openreach

Old September 17th 14, 12:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

Default Fibre Availability by Openreach

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home...oming_soon.pdf

says that on Sept. 14 many exchanges, including mine, were to have gone
live. Mine didn't. It would be interesting to know if anybody here in
any of these listed exchanges actually now has fibre available.
It won't change anything, but it would be nice to know.

--
Davey.
Old September 17th 14, 01:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_2_]

Davey wrote:

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home...oming_soon.pdf

says that on Sept. 14 many exchanges, including mine, were to have gone
live. Mine didn't.

It means September 2014, not the 14th of September

It would be interesting to know if anybody here in
any of these listed exchanges actually now has fibre available.

Ha, ha and indeed haaaa ...

It won't change anything, but it would be nice to know.

Indeed, that date will refer to the date the exchange itself is fibre
enabled, then they'll install the green cabinets, then they'll dig up
the path to install a mains connection to it, then they'll dig up the
path to install the link to the old cabinet, then they'll try to install
the fibre, then they'll dig up the paths several times to unblock the
ducts, then they'll actually install the fibre ...

Old September 17th 14, 01:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flyig u 214 + on netbook

Davey wrote:
http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home...oming_soon.pdf

says that on Sept. 14 many exchanges, including mine, were to have
gone live. Mine didn't. It would be interesting to know if anybody
here in any of these listed exchanges actually now has fibre
available.
It won't change anything, but it would be nice to know.

Wouldn't typing your phone number into
https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/A...neNumberOutput
give you a better idea of when you will have FTTC etc available to you.
My exchange has been fibre enabled for quite some time now, but my
particular cabinet was originally going to be enable by 31/12/2012 but
they kept changing that in 3 monthly (sometimes larger intervals). When
the last availability date, 31/03/2014, was being approached they
changed it again to 31/12/2014. I get the feeling that I shall never
actually get to enjoy the higher than ADSL download speeds in my
lifetime without moving house. .
--
Heard messages are sweet but those Unheard are sweeter
FN 214+. Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland

Old September 17th 14, 09:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

On 17/09/2014 00:19, Davey wrote:
http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home...oming_soon.pdf

says that on Sept. 14 many exchanges, including mine, were to have gone
live. Mine didn't. It would be interesting to know if anybody here in
any of these listed exchanges actually now has fibre available.
It won't change anything, but it would be nice to know.

Yes. Ours went live at the start of September (predicted August). People
who are now on it say it is a big improvement.

However, the cabinet is further from me than the exchange so I get nowt!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old September 17th 14, 11:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 01:28:45 +0100
"Flyiñg Ñuñ 214 + on netbook" wrote:

Wouldn't typing your phone number into
https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/A...neNumberOutput

That just tells me that I have ADSL available. I know that already. No
mention of fibre at all.

--
Davey.

Old September 17th 14, 11:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 01:13:06 +0100
Andy Burns wrote:

Davey wrote:

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home...oming_soon.pdf

says that on Sept. 14 many exchanges, including mine, were to have
gone live. Mine didn't.

It means September 2014, not the 14th of September

Ok.

It would be interesting to know if anybody here in
any of these listed exchanges actually now has fibre available.

Ha, ha and indeed haaaa ...

That's why I asked, just in case.

It won't change anything, but it would be nice to know.

Indeed, that date will refer to the date the exchange itself is fibre
enabled, then they'll install the green cabinets, then they'll dig up
the path to install a mains connection to it, then they'll dig up the
path to install the link to the old cabinet, then they'll try to
install the fibre, then they'll dig up the paths several times to
unblock the ducts, then they'll actually install the fibre ...

The first anybody knew about fibre coming here was the sudden
appearance of a couple of cabinets. No announcement was ever seen or
heard by anybody, even now, except for what can be found out from
various websites. It's as though BT don't want anybody to know anything.

What old cabinet? All we have is a garage-like building that sits there
and hums, and lots of spider-like wires all over the village. But they
have been pulling cables from man-hole to man-hole.

--
Davey.

Old September 17th 14, 11:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Andy Burns wrote:

Davey wrote:

[...]

If you don't know that your exchange was down to get fibre last month,
you can't complain when it didn't happen. Hence, Openreach's customer
service rating is high...

Old September 17th 14, 12:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

Andy Burns wrote:

Davey wrote:

[...]

That's the same thinking that the airlines use to say that they nearly
always arrive on time, they just change the Expected Departure
and Arrival Times.
Been there, done that.

--
Davey.
Old September 17th 14, 03:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

On 17/09/2014 11:19, Davey wrote:
On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 01:28:45 +0100
"Flyiñg Ñuñ 214 + on netbook" wrote:

Wouldn't typing your phone number into
https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/A...neNumberOutput

That just tells me that I have ADSL available. I know that already. No
mention of fibre at all.

Try it on a few friends numbers then.

In our village by some perverse logic the guy who lives opposite the new
cabinet (but on the wrong side of the road) is still connected directly
to the old exchange by a piece of wet string and gets a whopping 2Mbps.
People 500m further down the road get around 50Mbps.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old September 17th 14, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flyig u 214 + on netbook

"Flyig u 214 + on netbook" wrote:

Wouldn't typing your phone number into
https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/A...neNumberOutput

That just tells me that I have ADSL available. I know that already. No
mention of fibre at all.

Mine also tells me when FTTC will be available from the my nearest
cabinet (which it identifies by number). As I said that date has been
regularly put back from 31/12/2012 to the current availabilty date which
is now 31/12/2014. I anticipate that about way through December that
will be amended to 31/03/2015 or even later.