Plusnet:No broadband outage information on the Service Status phone no 0800 917 6714

Old September 18th 14, 12:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
michael adams

Default Plusnet:No broadband outage information on the Service Status phone no 0800 917 6714

Email sent to Plusnet Customer Support which

it appears simply generates an automatic response.

Yesterday evening I lost my Internet connection - not in itself a 1st world problem no
big deal.

However when I phoned the service status line the man said something along the lines

of "any problems will be added to the end of this message" then there was silence

then a lady said "thank you for calling" and the line went dead.

When service was restored - after about 1 hour in my case, and I looked at the online
service page

it explained that some customers had been experiencing problems for hours and they should

try switching off their routers for an hour.

a) Why wasn't this information relayed over the telephone ?

b) What is the point of putting it on a website which by definition most users - those
using only

one ISP - won't be able to access ?

I have used this more discreet method of contact rather than post this message on

Uk.telecom.broadband as I am happy overall with the service I receive on Plusnet

and don't feel its right for Plusnet representatives who answer those messages to

be put on the spot for decisions which they haven't personally made.

michael adams

Old September 18th 14, 12:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

michael adams (for it is he) wrote:

not in itself a 1st world problem no big deal.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What does that mean?

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
12:55:58 up 18 days, 3:11, 7 users, load average: 0.60, 0.49, 0.47

Old September 18th 14, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
michael adams

"alexd" wrote in message ...
michael adams (for it is he) wrote:

not in itself a 1st world problem no big deal.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What does that mean?

It means it is a first world problem.

I put the "not in itself" in, when copying the email
'cos I thought I'd made a mistake.

Thanks for paying attention.

michael adams

Old September 18th 14, 01:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 12:31:47 +0100, "michael adams"
wrote:

Email sent to Plusnet Customer Support which

it appears simply generates an automatic response.

Yesterday evening I lost my Internet connection - not in itself a 1st world problem no
big deal.

However when I phoned the service status line the man said something along the lines
of "any problems will be added to the end of this message" then there was silence
then a lady said "thank you for calling" and the line went dead.

When service was restored - after about 1 hour in my case, and I looked at the online
service page

it explained that some customers had been experiencing problems for hours and they should

try switching off their routers for an hour.

a) Why wasn't this information relayed over the telephone ?

Perhaps they are experiencing problems with the telephone system too?

b) What is the point of putting it on a website which by definition most users - those
using only one ISP - won't be able to access ?

People seem to assume that everyone has more than one way to access
the Internet. I maintain this is not true for the "average" user.
For example there's virtually no mobile phone coverage here so 3G is
not a useful option for me.

I have used this more discreet method of contact rather than post this message on
Uk.telecom.broadband as I am happy overall with the service I receive on Plusnet
and don't feel its right for Plusnet representatives who answer those messages to
be put on the spot for decisions which they haven't personally made.

This is "uk.telecom.broadband" ;-)

Old September 18th 14, 02:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
michael adams

wrote:

I have used this more discreet method of contact rather than post this message on
Uk.telecom.broadband as I am happy overall with the service I receive on Plusnet
and don't feel its right for Plusnet representatives who answer those messages to
be put on the spot for decisions which they haven't personally made.

This is "uk.telecom.broadband" ;-)

Indeed. Veiled threats don't appear to work when sending emails
to auto-responders.

michael adams

Old September 18th 14, 02:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

wrote:

I have used this more discreet method of contact rather than post this message on
Uk.telecom.broadband as I am happy overall with the service I receive on Plusnet
and don't feel its right for Plusnet representatives who answer those messages to
be put on the spot for decisions which they haven't personally made.

This is "uk.telecom.broadband" ;-)

Indeed. Veiled threats don't appear to work when sending emails
to auto-responders.

michael adams

What I think he meant was - why not put your post on Plusnet's own
customer service newsgroup (only available to Plusnet customers via
their own news server, news.plus.net)?
The appropriate newsgroup on that server is
plusnet.service.customer-feedback.
Or perhaps raise a question via Plusnet's website (Member Centre)?

Old September 18th 14, 02:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

wrote:

Email sent to Plusnet Customer Support which

it appears simply generates an automatic response.

Yesterday evening I lost my Internet connection - not in itself a 1st world problem no
big deal.

However when I phoned the service status line the man said something along the lines
of "any problems will be added to the end of this message" then there was silence
then a lady said "thank you for calling" and the line went dead.

When service was restored - after about 1 hour in my case, and I looked at the online
service page

it explained that some customers had been experiencing problems for hours and they should

try switching off their routers for an hour.

a) Why wasn't this information relayed over the telephone ?

Perhaps they are experiencing problems with the telephone system too?

We were -
http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1410978405.htm

b) What is the point of putting it on a website which by definition most users - those
using only one ISP - won't be able to access ?

People seem to assume that everyone has more than one way to access
the Internet. I maintain this is not true for the "average" user.
For example there's virtually no mobile phone coverage here so 3G is
not a useful option for me.

I'm sure people would complain in their droves if we /didn't/ put
anything on our website

Whilst I could well be wrong, I reckon there's a significant percentage
of our customer-base that do have more than one way to access the Internet.

Smartphone take-up these days is probably 50% of the population.

I have used this more discreet method of contact rather than post this message on
Uk.telecom.broadband as I am happy overall with the service I receive on Plusnet
and don't feel its right for Plusnet representatives who answer those messages to
be put on the spot for decisions which they haven't personally made.

This is "uk.telecom.broadband" ;-)

And I'm a Plusnet representative

To address your primary concern though, there *was* a message on the
phone system, there were just a few gremlins in the works last night.

Old September 18th 14, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
michael adams

"Plusnet Support Team" wrote in message
o.uk...

Smartphone take-up these days is probably 50% of the population.

Which at a guess, is mainly among those "youngsters" with sufficiently
good eyesight to actually see what's on the screen.

michael adams

Old September 18th 14, 03:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 18/09/2014 15:25, michael adams wrote:
"Plusnet Support Team" wrote in message
o.uk...

Smartphone take-up these days is probably 50% of the population.

Which at a guess, is mainly among those "youngsters" with sufficiently
good eyesight to actually see what's on the screen.

Found this, It was published two years ago -
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/mar...ontext/uk-1.42

Old September 18th 14, 03:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
michael adams

"George Weston" wrote in message

What I think he meant was - why not put your post on Plusnet's own customer service
newsgroup (only available to Plusnet customers via their own news server,
news.plus.net)?
The appropriate newsgroup on that server is plusnet.service.customer-feedback.
Or perhaps raise a question via Plusnet's website (Member Centre)?

My question was answered on here by Plusnet Support (Mr.Pullen) at 14.51

The first contribution by the Plusnet Support Team to the Service Status
Broadband Connectivity Thread UPDATE on plusnet.service.customer-feedback
was at 15.16.

While there were plenty of other contributors, on technical matters,
while the monkeys may be correct, I like to wait for the organ grinder.

HTH

michael adams