Which is the better router?

Old September 26th 14, 08:19 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
JohnDavidson

Default Which is the better router?

I've been running the old BT Home Hub 3 on my fibre connection, despite
having moved over to Plus Net some time ago, but I've discovered that it
does not allow me to edit the router's DNS settings, so 'm thinking about
finally plugging in the Technicolor TG582n router that came when I opened my
account and has been gathering dust on a shelf.

My questions is which has the better/stronger/more reliable wireless signal?
I live in a 2-bedroom apartment, so it doesn't have to travel too far, and
I've always had a good signal from the BT Home Hub. If it wasn't for the
DNS issue, I'd probably leave the BT job where it is...

TIA

---

Old September 28th 14, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 20:19:59 +0100, "JohnDavidson"
wrote:

I've been running the old BT Home Hub 3 on my fibre connection, despite
having moved over to Plus Net some time ago, but I've discovered that it
does not allow me to edit the router's DNS settings, so 'm thinking about
finally plugging in the Technicolor TG582n router that came when I opened my
account and has been gathering dust on a shelf.

My questions is which has the better/stronger/more reliable wireless signal?
I live in a 2-bedroom apartment, so it doesn't have to travel too far, and
I've always had a good signal from the BT Home Hub. If it wasn't for the
DNS issue, I'd probably leave the BT job where it is...

I have a TG582n supplied by Zen, and although the settings pages
aren't very exciting, it works very well. If two of the best ISPs have
opted to supply this as their basic router, there's probably a reason.
It wouldn't be in their best interests to supply something that didn't
work reliably.

To check wireless performance, install a survey program such as
InSSIDer on a laptop, or WiFi Analyser on an Android phone, and walk
around the premises where you want it to work.

Rod.
Old September 28th 14, 09:50 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 26/09/2014 20:19, JohnDavidson wrote:
I've been running the old BT Home Hub 3 on my fibre connection, despite
having moved over to Plus Net some time ago, but I've discovered that it
does not allow me to edit the router's DNS settings, so 'm thinking
about finally plugging in the Technicolor TG582n router that came when I
opened my account and has been gathering dust on a shelf.

My questions is which has the better/stronger/more reliable wireless
signal? I live in a 2-bedroom apartment, so it doesn't have to travel
too far, and I've always had a good signal from the BT Home Hub. If it
wasn't for the DNS issue, I'd probably leave the BT job where it is...

I found both to work as well as each other. Based on other peoples'
accounts though, you may find the Home Hub to be slightly better.