EE: Closure of dial-up internet service (Orange)

Old September 29th 14, 11:35 AM posted to wanadoouk.help.misc,wanadoouk.help.anytime,alt.wanadoo.forum,wanadoouk.discuss,uk.telecom.broadband
Allan

Default EE: Closure of dial-up internet service (Orange)

Just received an e-mail from EE:

"EE will be shortly be stopping its dial-up internet service in order to
focus on the continuing development of our award-winning superfast
broadband. The service (originally provided to you by Orange) will close
on 30/10/2014, after which date you'll no longer be able to access the
internet via dial-up. Any dial-up internet charges you incur in the
meantime will be itemised on your pay as you go phone bill as usual.
Please note that neither your email address nor any broadband services
you may have from us will be affected by this closure"

Old September 29th 14, 03:23 PM posted to wanadoouk.help.misc,wanadoouk.help.anytime,alt.wanadoo.forum,wanadoouk.discuss,uk.telecom.broadband
Michael R N Dolbear

"Allan" wrote

Just received an e-mail from EE:

"EE will be shortly be stopping its dial-up internet service in order to

focus on the continuing development of our award-winning superfast
broadband. The service (originally provided to you by Orange) will close
on 30/10/2014, after which date you'll no longer be able to access the
internet via dial-up. Any dial-up internet charges you incur in the
meantime will be itemised on your pay as you go phone bill as usual.
Please note that neither your email address nor any broadband services
you may have from us will be affected by this closure"

Thanks

I guess this means Freeserve dial-up is going, though not its email
addresses

--
Mike D

Old September 29th 14, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 15:23:07 +0100, "Michael R N Dolbear"
wrote:

"Allan" wrote

Just received an e-mail from EE:

"EE will be shortly be stopping its dial-up internet service in order to

focus on the continuing development of our award-winning superfast
broadband. The service (originally provided to you by Orange) will close
on 30/10/2014, after which date you'll no longer be able to access the
internet via dial-up. Any dial-up internet charges you incur in the
meantime will be itemised on your pay as you go phone bill as usual.
Please note that neither your email address nor any broadband services
you may have from us will be affected by this closure"

Thanks

I guess this means Freeserve dial-up is going, though not its email
addresses

Lets hope not.

Orange and Wanadoo before them did try hard to close the email
accounts through making you "retrieve" your account at intervals.
I suspect they managed to close the majority of them in this way.

They havn't bothered my two venerable accounts for some years now, but
I suppose they could close them all if that's what they want to do.

To be honest I thought the Orange dial-up closed ages ago.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old September 29th 14, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

Graham. wrote:
Orange and Wanadoo before them did try hard to close the email
accounts through making you "retrieve" your account at intervals.
I suspect they managed to close the majority of them in this way.

They havn't bothered my two venerable accounts for some years now, but
I suppose they could close them all if that's what they want to do.

Virgin are trying this at the moment (for existing cable users). The fun is
that they typically used the @ntlworld.com email address as the login for
their services, so will be interesting to see what happens afterwards [1].
It's more annoying in that to send outbound SMTP you need a Virgin email
address. Which you don't have if they've deleted it because you never use
webmail.

I could set up a cron job, but the only thing I use Virgin SMTP for is
Nagios sending me alerts when my external mailserver is down, so I'll find
another way somehow.

To be honest I thought the Orange dial-up closed ages ago.

So that means another 1990s internet services bites the dust. The Yahoo
directory is going at the end of the year...

Theo

[1] Hmm, I wonder if it's possible to hijack other people's accounts this
way by creating emails with the same IDs as they used to have?
Old September 29th 14, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael R N Dolbear

Default Closure of dial-up internet service (Orange)

"Graham." wrote

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 15:23:07 +0100, "Michael R N Dolbear" wrote:

I guess this means Freeserve dial-up is going, though not its email
addresses

Lets hope not.

" ... though not its email addresses"

Orange and Wanadoo before them did try hard to close the email

accounts through making you "retrieve" your account at intervals.
I suspect they managed to close the majority of them in this way.

They havn't bothered my two venerable accounts for some years now, but

I suppose they could close them all if that's what they want to do.

They don't want to. I expect maintaining legacy email accounts is no big
deal once they are set up.

To be honest I thought the Orange dial-up closed ages ago.

I haven't used it since June 2013.

--
Mike D

Old September 30th 14, 09:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 22:40:56 +0100, "Michael R N Dolbear"
wrote:

I guess this means Freeserve dial-up is going, though not its email
addresses

Lets hope not.

" ... though not its email addresses"

Orange and Wanadoo before them did try hard to close the email

accounts through making you "retrieve" your account at intervals.
I suspect they managed to close the majority of them in this way.

They havn't bothered my two venerable accounts for some years now, but

I suppose they could close them all if that's what they want to do.

They don't want to. I expect maintaining legacy email accounts is no big
deal once they are set up.

It's a lot less of a deal than fending off thousands of angry phone
calls from customers who have suddenly been denied something to which
they feel entitled. The fact that it had been free wouldn't stop them
phoning to complain of its disappearance, or telling all their friends
what a rubbish ISP they'd been dealing with.

Rod.
Old September 30th 14, 01:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On 29/09/2014 21:54, Theo Markettos wrote:
Graham. wrote:
Orange and Wanadoo before them did try hard to close the email
accounts through making you "retrieve" your account at intervals.
I suspect they managed to close the majority of them in this way.

They havn't bothered my two venerable accounts for some years now, but
I suppose they could close them all if that's what they want to do.

Virgin are trying this at the moment (for existing cable users). The fun is

Are you suggesting (above) that Virgin are planning to retire the
" email addresses?

that they typically used the @ntlworld.com email address as the login for
their services, so will be interesting to see what happens afterwards [1].
It's more annoying in that to send outbound SMTP you need a Virgin email
address. Which you don't have if they've deleted it because you never use
webmail.

[snip]

Old September 30th 14, 07:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

Mark wrote:
Are you suggesting (above) that Virgin are planning to retire the
" email addresses?

They're enforcing that you login once every 90 days, and deleting if you
don't:

quote
We're about to suspend your Virgin Media email account
Hello,
To avoid a large number of unused email addresses on our Virgin Media Mail
service we've made
some updates to our Acceptable Use Policy which means you need to access
your email at least once
every 90 days. More around this policy can be found here virginmedia.com/aup
We've noticed you haven't used the Virgin Media email address below in over
180 days.
Email:
If you want to keep a Virgin Media email address, just access it via our
Webmail service, an
email client such as Microsoft Outlook or Apple Mail, or from a mobile
device, within the next 25
days.
If you don't need a particular Virgin Media mailbox anymore and choose not
to access, we'll
suspend your mailbox 25 days from this email.
Your mailbox will be suspended for 60 days and following the 60 day
suspension we'll securely
delete the mailbox and its contents.
We'll only suspend email addresses you don't use, so you don't have to worry
about the ones you
access regularly.
/quote

Theo
Old October 8th 14, 10:02 PM posted to wanadoouk.help.misc,wanadoouk.help.anytime,alt.wanadoo.forum,wanadoouk.discuss,uk.telecom.broadband
Grimly Fiendish[_2_]

LOL, I haven't used dial up in over 10 years, the last time I did was to
reactivate my email account and I've not been asked to do it again since
despite not being with them for over 20 years, I guess that meansany one who
still has a Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange email address will be allowedto keep it
for now at least even if you are no longer with them?
I have two, great for spam as you can change the bit before the @ for each
company so you can identify who's passed on your email address and block
them :-)

I have noticed though and have seen others having commenting on access
problems via the new EE site.
Some people have logged in to EE once and then not been able to for months
since, I'm having no trouble accessing by POP from my email client but
logging into webmail hardly ever works, also the EE log that you get
redirectedto now is confusing as it asks for your ID, but email log in was
by your email address. I can't quite figure out what's going off as not long
ago I was able to log in fine on the Orange page but not the EE page, now it
seems to redirect to the EE page but still ocasionally works baffled

One thing is for sure there are a large number of people having difficulty
with the EE log in include myself.

Perhaps it's time i changed some of my more importatnt stuff to my current
real email address.

"Allan" wrote

Old October 9th 14, 08:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown

On 30/09/2014 19:20, Theo Markettos wrote:
Mark wrote:
[...]

They are going to delete an email address that you never use.

That seems quite reasonable to me. Where is the harm in that?

By your own admission you *NEVER* use it.

If you put it into your list of email servers and downloaded whatever
spam goes to it then you wouldn't have a problem with the email not
being accessed. Any email client will do you don't have to use webmail.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown