bt refusing to replace 9 month old homehub5

Old September 30th 14, 11:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tigger

Default bt refusing to replace 9 month old homehub5

I'm completely and utterly frustrated with BT's insane customer care.

As I am out of contract, last January I paid to upgrade a (broken)
homehub3 to a homehub5. Now, 9 months on, various problems have resulted
in the BT guys saying this homehub is also faulty.

He says I can get a free replacement if I re-contract.

Great I thought, so I ring 150 at 09:30 this morning (Tuesday). 2 hours
later I finally get the "special customer options" number and ring it.

They say yes, you need to re-contract and you can have a free replacement
homehub. Further into the process he sees I have BT Basic, the reduced
price line rental contract for disabled customers like me who are
claiming DLA.

Oh, he says, I cannot get you a free replacement homehub unless you re-
contract at full 15.99 line rental and take free weekend calls.

Some time later I realise that if I do that I'm paying 120 over a year
for a 50 homehub. I insist he re-contracts me on my current package and
then I get a free replacement homehum

(what happened to a guarantee against faults anyway?)

Utterly scandalous IMHO.
Old October 1st 14, 07:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

tigger wrote:

[...]

You don't need a home hub. Any router will do. Most will only come
with a 1-year warranty. Prices start at about 30.

e.g.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TD-W.../dp/B0031SUB4S

--
Graham J

Old October 1st 14, 09:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tigger

Graham J writted thus

tigger wrote:

[...]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TD-W...s-Connections/

dp/B0031SUB4S

Umm, I tried a netgear n300 and found the Infinity is VDSL.
I tried a TPlink ac1200 and that is supposed to be for VDSL but it wont
connect.
Old October 1st 14, 11:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nemo

On 30/09/2014 23:37, tigger wrote:

I'm completely and utterly frustrated with BT's insane customer care.

As I am out of contract, last January I paid to upgrade a (broken)
homehub3 to a homehub5.

Does your current ISP provide a router?

Old October 1st 14, 02:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

tigger wrote:
Graham J writted thus

tigger wrote:

[...]

Ha - you didn't mention Infinity!

You will require a router with a built-in VDSL modem, and these are
generally rather more expensive.

Probably you will get more sense out of another ISP - suggest you insist
on a Migration Code. Then ask other ISPs what they offer. Yes it will
be a new contract, but at least you stand a chance of getting a more
trustworthy supplier.

--
Graham J

Old October 1st 14, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Preston

nemo brought next idea :
On 30/09/2014 23:37, tigger wrote:

I'm completely and utterly frustrated with BT's insane customer care.

As I am out of contract, last January I paid to upgrade a (broken)
homehub3 to a homehub5.

Does your current ISP provide a router?

They do. BT call them a 'Home Hub' and his is faulty

---

Old October 1st 14, 06:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Preston

tigger formulated the question :
[...]

As Phil says, you can return it to BT under the Sale of Goods Act
because 9 months is (a) within the 12 month manufacturers warranty and
(b) well below the expected lifespan.

As it's Infinity, you must have either a white VDSL modem that the Home
Hub connects to, or if it's a later version of the HH5, it may have a
built-in VDSL modem. If the former, then any router meant for cable
(virgin media) such as the Linksys E2000 (secondhand one on Ebay for a
tenner here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LinkSys-E2...item1e9263d677)
or other will do.

If the latter, then even if you got a cable router you wouldn't have
broadband back because you need the VDSL modem as well as a router.

---

Old October 1st 14, 06:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nemo

On 01/10/2014 17:59, Dave Preston wrote:
nemo brought next idea :
On 30/09/2014 23:37, tigger wrote:

I'm completely and utterly frustrated with BT's insane customer care.

As I am out of contract, last January I paid to upgrade a (broken)
homehub3 to a homehub5.

Does your current ISP provide a router?

They do. BT call them a 'Home Hub' and his is faulty

Oh. I thought "As I am out of contract..." implied "no longer with BT".
As you were.

Old October 1st 14, 07:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tigger

Dave Preston writted thus

[...]

How do I return it? do BT have shops or do I post it somewhere?

As it's Infinity, you must have either a white VDSL modem that the Home
Hub connects to, or if it's a later version of the HH5, it may have a
built-in VDSL modem. If the former, then any router meant for cable
(virgin media) such as the Linksys E2000 (secondhand one on Ebay for a
tenner here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LinkSys-E2.../131305035383?

pt=UK_Computing_Wireless_Routers&hash=item1e9263d6 77)
or other will do.

If the latter, then even if you got a cable router you wouldn't have
broadband back because you need the VDSL modem as well as a router.

yes, I'm not finding any of my ADSL stuff works, going to try an old
openreach VDSL modem with a netgear router Wlan.
Old October 1st 14, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Preston

tigger presented the following explanation :
Dave Preston writted thus

[...]

No, there's no BT shops anymore. Ring whatever number you rang before
and just tell them that it's faulty but only nine months old, therefore
you want to return it either under the manufacturer's warranty or the
SOGA - either way, it's their problem, not yours.

As it's Infinity, you must have either a white VDSL modem that the Home
Hub connects to, or if it's a later version of the HH5, it may have a
built-in VDSL modem. If the former, then any router meant for cable
(virgin media) such as the Linksys E2000 (secondhand one on Ebay for a
tenner here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LinkSys-E2.../131305035383?
pt=UK_Computing_Wireless_Routers&hash=item1e9263d6 77) or other will do.

If the latter, then even if you got a cable router you wouldn't have
broadband back because you need the VDSL modem as well as a router.

yes, I'm not finding any of my ADSL stuff works, going to try an old
openreach VDSL modem with a netgear router Wlan.

Hope you are successful my friend :')

---