Odd broadband failure

Old October 2nd 14, 05:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB

Default Odd broadband failure

Earlier today my BT Infinity broadband kept failing, the Home Hub 5
would change from blue to green and red (or is it amber). I tried
numerous restarts etc but the connection was coming and going with it
being lost most of the time.

I reported to BT and their operative said he would change the WiFi
channel and do some other changes which did not inspire any confidence
especially when I tried to tell him that the broadband connection keep
being lost.

I eventually realised it was happening every time I turned on a fairly
new PC which connects via WiFi. I have used this previously without
noticing any problems. The PC is sometimes not connecting to that
router but mostly connecting but the browsers are not connecting to the
Internet.

Anyone any ideas about what is happening?
Old October 2nd 14, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"MB" wrote in message
Earlier today my BT Infinity broadband kept failing, the
Home Hub 5 would change from blue to green and red (or is
it amber). I tried numerous restarts etc but the
connection was coming and going with it being lost most of
the time.

I reported to BT and their operative said he would change
the WiFi channel and do some other changes which did not
inspire any confidence especially when I tried to tell him
that the broadband connection keep being lost.

I eventually realised it was happening every time I turned
on a fairly new PC which connects via WiFi. I have used
this previously without noticing any problems. The PC is
sometimes not connecting to that router but mostly
connecting but the browsers are not connecting to the
Internet.

Anyone any ideas about what is happening?

Google is your friend.

http://home.bt.com/news/btlife/bt-ma...11363919480274

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old October 2nd 14, 06:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 18:28:26 +0100, "Woody"
wrote:

"MB" wrote in message
[...]

How does that correlate to the OPs problem?

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old October 2nd 14, 08:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wibble

"MB" wrote in message
Earlier today my BT Infinity broadband kept failing, the Home Hub 5 would
change from blue to green and red (or is it amber). I tried numerous
restarts etc but the connection was coming and going with it being lost
most of the time.

I reported to BT and their operative said he would change the WiFi channel
and do some other changes which did not inspire any confidence especially
when I tried to tell him that the broadband connection keep being lost.

I eventually realised it was happening every time I turned on a fairly new
PC which connects via WiFi. I have used this previously without noticing
any problems. The PC is sometimes not connecting to that router but
mostly connecting but the browsers are not connecting to the Internet.

Anyone any ideas about what is happening?

New PC causing some sort of localised REIN issue?

Old October 2nd 14, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Preston

MB presented the following explanation :
Earlier today my BT Infinity broadband kept failing, the Home Hub 5 would
change from blue to green and red (or is it amber). I tried numerous
restarts etc but the connection was coming and going with it being lost most
of the time.

I reported to BT and their operative said he would change the WiFi channel
and do some other changes which did not inspire any confidence especially
when I tried to tell him that the broadband connection keep being lost.

I eventually realised it was happening every time I turned on a fairly new PC
which connects via WiFi. I have used this previously without noticing any
problems. The PC is sometimes not connecting to that router but mostly
connecting but the browsers are not connecting to the Internet.

Anyone any ideas about what is happening?

More than likely some weird DHCP problem. I don't use a BT Home Hub
(horrible things) so can't really advise you further, but IMHO, it's
something to do with IP addresses and the DHCP server in the Hub.

Try powering everything down and leave everything (including any
phones, and tablets that connect to the Hub) off for about 5 minutes
then power on the Hub. When all lights have stopped flashing and are
stable, try powering on the new PC. When that's booted and you're sure
you've got stable internet access, power on the older PC and see what
happens.

---

Old October 2nd 14, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 02/10/14 20:51, Dave Preston wrote:

[...]

Mmm. I stated to have issues like this with a cheap router. I reckoned
finally that it simply couldn't handle as many concurrent connections as
the 4 machines here were capable of opening. MM make that 5 with the
'smart TV'

rare story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge. - Erwin Knoll
Old October 2nd 14, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB

On 02/10/2014 20:33, Wibble wrote:
"MB" wrote in message
Earlier today my BT Infinity broadband kept failing, the Home Hub 5 would
change from blue to green and red (or is it amber). I tried numerous
restarts etc but the connection was coming and going with it being lost
most of the time.

I reported to BT and their operative said he would change the WiFi channel
and do some other changes which did not inspire any confidence especially
when I tried to tell him that the broadband connection keep being lost.

I eventually realised it was happening every time I turned on a fairly new
PC which connects via WiFi. I have used this previously without noticing
any problems. The PC is sometimes not connecting to that router but
mostly connecting but the browsers are not connecting to the Internet.

Anyone any ideas about what is happening?

New PC causing some sort of localised REIN issue?

It does not seem to have done it previously though still possible.

Old October 2nd 14, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB

On 02/10/2014 20:51, Dave Preston wrote:

More than likely some weird DHCP problem. I don't use a BT Home Hub
(horrible things) so can't really advise you further, but IMHO, it's
something to do with IP addresses and the DHCP server in the Hub.

Try powering everything down and leave everything (including any phones,
and tablets that connect to the Hub) off for about 5 minutes then power
on the Hub. When all lights have stopped flashing and are stable, try
powering on the new PC. When that's booted and you're sure you've got
stable internet access, power on the older PC and see what happens.

I will try tomorrow, a few things happening over the next few days so it
might have to wait.

Old October 2nd 14, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

MB wrote:
Earlier today my BT Infinity broadband kept failing, the Home Hub 5
would change from blue to green and red (or is it amber). I tried
numerous restarts etc but the connection was coming and going with it
being lost most of the time.

I reported to BT and their operative said he would change the WiFi
channel and do some other changes which did not inspire any confidence
especially when I tried to tell him that the broadband connection keep
being lost.

I eventually realised it was happening every time I turned on a fairly
new PC which connects via WiFi. I have used this previously without
noticing any problems. The PC is sometimes not connecting to that
router but mostly connecting but the browsers are not connecting to the
Internet.

Anyone any ideas about what is happening?

The connection from the PC to the router, and connection from the router
to the internet; these are two different things.

WiFi is another can of worms, so for the moment disable it and connect
your new PC using an Ethernet cable.

The router will have a management page in it. Refer to the documentation
that came with it.

The management page will tell you the status of the internet connection.
It will distinguish between "synchronisation" from the modem component
of the router to the remote equipment (in the roadside green cabinet),
and "authentication" where the router establishes a PPP connection
between itself and whatever remote router the ISP has. These two states
may relate to the pretty coloured lights - the documentation may explain
how.

You will then know whether you have a synchronisation failure or an
authentication failure.

Synchronisation failures are common with ADSL because the long lines are
susceptible to electrical interference and mechanical damage such as
dirty joints. The same is in principle true of FTTC but because the
line length between your property and the green cabinet is only a few
hundred metres at maximum, the problems are likely to be less severe.
It doesn't mean they can't happen.

Authentication failures may be due to your router (in which case it
should be replaced - but I have never actually found one that failed
intermittently) but are in reality much more likely to be the BT
equipment or that belonging to your ISP (also BT in your case).

You can complain, but BT will probably not understand. However BT had a
major problem with their email systems today, so a failure with
broadband authentication is just as likely and may have been buried
under the bad news.

--
Graham J

Old October 3rd 14, 07:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB

On 02/10/2014 22:30, Graham J wrote:
[...]

I had a quick try late last night when I got back in.

The router appeared to crash even when the new PC (HP Envy) had its WiFi
turned off though there is another WiFi dongle for the mouse and keyboard.

I will try some other tests tonight - I will connect the WiFi to an old
router so I am sure it is not connected to the BT Home Hub, might try a
mains filter in case the PSU is putting out some muck into the mains
wiring, will see if the WiFi is on a card that I can easily remove.