Plusnet - a word to the wise

Old October 2nd 14, 08:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fred

Default Plusnet - a word to the wise

When telephone assisting the setup of a new modem/router on a Plusnet
connection, make sure that the user is entering:

ISP login:

and not:

So simple . . . . .

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Old October 2nd 14, 09:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 20:37:23 +0100, fred wrote:

When telephone assisting the setup of a new modem/router on a Plusnet
connection, make sure that the user is entering:

ISP login:

and not:

So simple . . . . .

I have to call a young woman for passwords ocasionally and I have
learned that the symbol you and I know as "hash" and Americans call
"Poundsign" is known by this young person as "hashtag".

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old October 2nd 14, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Graham. wrote:
On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 20:37:23 +0100, fred wrote:

When telephone assisting the setup of a new modem/router on a Plusnet
connection, make sure that the user is entering:

ISP login:

and not:

So simple . . . . .

I have to call a young woman for passwords ocasionally and I have
learned that the symbol you and I know as "hash" and Americans call
"Poundsign" is known by this young person as "hashtag".

A musician would call it a "sharp" sign

--
Graham J
Old October 3rd 14, 09:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Graham." wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 20:37:23 +0100, fred wrote:

When telephone assisting the setup of a new modem/router on a Plusnet
connection, make sure that the user is entering:

ISP login:

and not:

So simple . . . . .

I have to call a young woman for passwords ocasionally and I have
learned that the symbol you and I know as "hash" and Americans call
"Poundsign" is known by this young person as "hashtag".

I'd known the character as a hash right from when I learned BASIC ("open #1"
command) in the mid 70s. It was only very recently that I learned that it's
sometimes known as the pound sign in the USA - I presume that's pound
weight, so maybe they don't use the abbreviation "lb" for pound weight.

It's interesting that it's the non-American usage which has given its name
to the hashtag, though poundtag might be more of a mouthful. At least we
were spared "octothorptag" :-) ("Octothorp", because the sign has eight
"legs", is another name for it, in the telecoms industry.)

#1" command) in the mid 70s. It was only very recently that I learned
that it's sometimes known as the pound sign in the USA - I presume
that's pound weight, so maybe they don't use the abbreviation "lb" for
pound weight.

It's interesting that it's the non-American usage which has given its
name to the hashtag, though poundtag might be more of a mouthful. At
least we were spared "octothorptag" :-) ("Octothorp", because the sign
has eight "legs", is another name for it, in the telecoms industry.)

Number

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_sign

--
Graham J

Old October 3rd 14, 09:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Able

On 02/10/2014 22:31, Graham J wrote:
Graham. wrote:
On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 20:37:23 +0100, fred wrote:

When telephone assisting the setup of a new modem/router on a Plusnet
connection, make sure that the user is entering:

ISP login:

and not:

So simple . . . . .

I have to call a young woman for passwords ocasionally and I have
learned that the symbol you and I know as "hash" and Americans call
"Poundsign" is known by this young person as "hashtag".

A musician would call it a "sharp" sign

He might - but then we all make mistakes

PA

Old October 3rd 14, 10:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 02/10/2014 20:37, fred wrote:

When telephone assisting the setup of a new modem/router on a Plusnet
connection, make sure that the user is entering:

ISP login:

and not:

So simple . . . . .

That's a new one to me, although I always spell the word 'plus' when
guiding friends/family/referrals through the process.

Old October 3rd 14, 08:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Plusnet Support Team" wrote in message
On 02/10/2014 20:37, fred wrote:

When telephone assisting the setup of a new modem/router
on a Plusnet
connection, make sure that the user is entering:

ISP login:

and not:

So simple . . . . .

That's a new one to me, although I always spell the word
'plus' when guiding friends/family/referrals through the
process.

--
|Bob Pullen Broadband Solutions for
|Support Home & Business @
|Plusnet Plc. www.plus.net

Bob
Any chance you can contact me off net - I could do with a
bit of professional advice?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old October 3rd 14, 09:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael R N Dolbear

"Plusnet Support Team" wrote

and not:

So simple . . . . .

That's a new one to me, although I always spell the word 'plus' when

guiding friends/family/referrals through the process.

If you are collecting Plusnet related errors I have just solved one of my
own creation.

I had my email addie as @Myuserid.plus.net and it is actually
@Myuserid.plus.com

--
Mike D

Old October 3rd 14, 09:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Graham. (for it is he) wrote:

I have to call a young woman for passwords ocasionally and I have
learned that the symbol you and I know as "hash" and Americans call
"Poundsign" is known by this young person as "hashtag".

That's it. This country's finished. There's no hope for the next generation.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:43:36 up 33 days, 11:59, 7 users, load average: 0.42, 0.51, 0.52