Virgin Media cock-up

Old October 8th 14, 10:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nemo

Default Virgin Media cock-up

Received an email message from my broadband provider, Virgin Media:

"It looks like you’ve still got a Virgin Media email account, although
you don’t have our Virgin Broadband service anymore.

This is the email we’re talking about: email address

Usually, when we disconnect a customer’s broadband service, we leave it
90 days before we cancel our Virgin Media email service, so there is
time to set up a new email address.
It looks like we haven’t disconnected your email account yet. So, to
help us make sure our records are up to date, please let us know if one
of the following applies to you..."

To re-enable the email account, phone VM on the 0800 number quoted
within 30 days.

Apparently, lots of such messages have been sent out erroneously.
Irritating incompetence but not disastrous.
Old October 8th 14, 11:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Wed, 08 Oct 2014 10:36:20 +0100, nemo
wrote:

Received an email message from my broadband provider, Virgin Media:

"It looks like you’ve still got a Virgin Media email account, although
you don’t have our Virgin Broadband service anymore.

This is the email we’re talking about: email address

Usually, when we disconnect a customer’s broadband service, we leave it
90 days before we cancel our Virgin Media email service, so there is
time to set up a new email address.
It looks like we haven’t disconnected your email account yet. So, to
help us make sure our records are up to date, please let us know if one
of the following applies to you..."

To re-enable the email account, phone VM on the 0800 number quoted
within 30 days.

Apparently, lots of such messages have been sent out erroneously.
Irritating incompetence but not disastrous.

If you transfer an internet account to a different person, the way
it's done is to create a new account, transfer all the services
across, then delete or deactivate the old account. If this has ever
been done at your address, but the old account was mistakenly not
deleted, it would be one possible explanation for what has triggered a
"previous customer" message.

Another amusing thing that can happen is that some or all services,
including email addresses, are mistakenly not transferred, but until
the old internet account is deleted, its email addresses continue to
work, so nobody suspects anything for a while. Then one day they have
a purge on defunct accounts, possibly but not necessarily accompanied
by a letter like the one you have received, and all the services
associated with all these old accounts will stop working.

This is where it can become tricky. It may be possible to transfer
email addresses from a defunct account to a new one, but these will
displace any email addresses that have been set up on the new one, and
if the old account was set up in a different person's name, they're
not allowed to transfer anything from it without the permission of the
original account holder. Happy days.

Rod.