Recommendations for VDSL router

Old October 8th 14, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

Default Recommendations for VDSL router

Owing to speed issues on FTTC I want to try a different modem so will
buy a modem/router combined for VDSL. I had decided on the Billion
BiPAC 8800NL but nowhere seems to have any stock at the moment. I
need one with a good modem (line quality poor) and stable Wifi (n).
Also I want one that will support vectoring, IPv6, & MAC address
filtering.

I have also considered the Draytek 2860n but I'm not sure whether the
modems in these are great and the Asus DSL0-N66U which I believe also
does not have a great modem.

Old October 8th 14, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Mark wrote:
Owing to speed issues on FTTC I want to try a different modem so will
buy a modem/router combined for VDSL. I had decided on the Billion
BiPAC 8800NL but nowhere seems to have any stock at the moment. I
need one with a good modem (line quality poor) and stable Wifi (n).
Also I want one that will support vectoring, IPv6, & MAC address
filtering.

I have also considered the Draytek 2860n but I'm not sure whether the
modems in these are great and the Asus DSL0-N66U which I believe also
does not have a great modem.

I tried a Vigor 2860n and it worked fine.

When you say the line qualiy is poor, what do you mean? For FTTC the
line should be quite short - no more than about 500 metres - and it
should have been tested to be in good condition before FTTC was
installed on it. Has it deteriorated since?

--
Graham J

Old October 8th 14, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Preston

After serious thinking Graham J wrote :
Mark wrote:
Owing to speed issues on FTTC I want to try a different modem so will
buy a modem/router combined for VDSL. I had decided on the Billion
BiPAC 8800NL but nowhere seems to have any stock at the moment. I
need one with a good modem (line quality poor) and stable Wifi (n).
Also I want one that will support vectoring, IPv6, & MAC address
filtering.

I have also considered the Draytek 2860n but I'm not sure whether the
modems in these are great and the Asus DSL0-N66U which I believe also
does not have a great modem.

I tried a Vigor 2860n and it worked fine.

When you say the line qualiy is poor, what do you mean? For FTTC the line
should be quite short - no more than about 500 metres - and it should have
been tested to be in good condition before FTTC was installed on it. Has it
deteriorated since?

A mate of mine is 700m from the fibre cab and gets 32mbps down and
7mbps up using the standard BT setup of Huawei HG612 modem and the BT
Home Hub (V3 in his case) on Infinity 2. By contrast, I'm 400m from my
fibre cab and get 74mbps down, 16mbps up, again with a Huawei HG612 but
I use an Asus R-N66U as my router. My point is, you can go over 500m
for FTTC.

---

Old October 8th 14, 08:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

Mark wrote:
[...]

^^^ your sig sep is broken - should be two dashes and a space

I'm on 1200m!

Abouut 22Mb/s down but only 1.7Mb/s up.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Old October 8th 14, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

On 08/10/2014 20:48, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 08 Oct 2014 20:42:18 +0100, Dave Preston wrote:

My point is, you can go over 500m for FTTC.

Abouut 22Mb/s down but only 1.7Mb/s up.

1000 metres here, 33 down, 7 up

--
Mark
Old October 8th 14, 09:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Wed, 08 Oct 2014 19:51:50 +0100, Graham J
wrote:

Mark wrote:
Owing to speed issues on FTTC I want to try a different modem so will
buy a modem/router combined for VDSL. I had decided on the Billion
BiPAC 8800NL but nowhere seems to have any stock at the moment. I
need one with a good modem (line quality poor) and stable Wifi (n).
Also I want one that will support vectoring, IPv6, & MAC address
filtering.

I have also considered the Draytek 2860n but I'm not sure whether the
modems in these are great and the Asus DSL0-N66U which I believe also
does not have a great modem.

I tried a Vigor 2860n and it worked fine.

It is pretty expensive so needs to be damn good to justify the cost.
I wouldn't mind paying the price if it is what I want. I just am not
yet convinced.

When you say the line qualiy is poor, what do you mean?

I always got slow ADSL speeds and the FTTC speeds were never near the
maximum possible. My line goes all over the place including overhead
to a pole in the next street.

For FTTC the
line should be quite short - no more than about 500 metres - and it
should have been tested to be in good condition before FTTC was
installed on it. Has it deteriorated since?

Yes. I used to get around 44Mbps and now get 30 down (actual speeds
not sync speeds). Upload has declined from about 9 to 6. I don't
know the line length but the BT estimate says between 34-47Mbps and I
always believed these to be conservative.

Old October 8th 14, 10:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 08 Oct 2014 20:54:49 +0100, Mark Carver wrote:

On 08/10/2014 20:48, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 08 Oct 2014 20:42:18 +0100, Dave Preston wrote:

My point is, you can go over 500m for FTTC.

Abouut 22Mb/s down but only 1.7Mb/s up.

1000 metres here, 33 down, 7 up

MIne used to be better but BT cocked something up. Still arguing...

Old October 9th 14, 07:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

wrote:

Mark wrote:
[...]

The sync speed is limited by the FTTC hardware, line length, noise, etc.

If your actual speeds are slower than the sync speed it has nothing to
do with FTTC or the cables or whatever. It might be affected by your
router. But if actual speeds have been higher and are now slower then
it is because of contention for the backhaul from the local exchange to
the rest of the interent.

Change your ISP, and tell them why.

--
Graham J

Old October 9th 14, 09:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

wrote:

Mark wrote:
[...]

In the case of ADSL I got different sync speeds using different
routers on the same line. I guess that VDSL would be similar.

If your actual speeds are slower than the sync speed it has nothing to
do with FTTC or the cables or whatever. It might be affected by your
router. But if actual speeds have been higher and are now slower then
it is because of contention for the backhaul from the local exchange to
the rest of the interent.

Actual speeds have dropped considerably and in a short space of time
which is why I suspect interference & contention is not the whole
story.

Change your ISP, and tell them why.

Would another ISP do any more?
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Old October 9th 14, 10:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

wrote:

My point is, you can go over 500m for FTTC.

Abouut 22Mb/s down but only 1.7Mb/s up.

1000 metres here, 33 down, 7 up

I think I'm about 900m from my cabinet. 26 down, 5 up.

That's on the "Up to 38Mb/s" service. I was offered he 76Mb/s service,
which would have cost more, but having seen the estimate on the BT
page, declined on the grounds that there would be no point paying for
more than the laws of physics would allow me to have.

Rod.