Plusnet again

Old October 11th 14, 08:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael R N Dolbear

Default Plusnet again

11/10/2014 @ 17:06

This afternoon we experienced a large drop in the number of customer
sessions across our broadband network.

This will have caused a large volume of customers to lose connectivity to
the Internet.

Our network engineers are currently investigating this.

If you are struggling to connect to the Internet then please try powering
off your modem or router for 30 minutes before powering it back up and
attempting to re-establish a connection to the Internet.
==

Off from 16:30 to 20:00 as far as getting beyond PlusNet pages was
concerned.

--
Mike D

Old October 11th 14, 08:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Michael R N Dolbear" wrote in message

11/10/2014 @ 17:06

This afternoon we experienced a large drop in the number of customer
sessions across our broadband network.

This will have caused a large volume of customers to lose connectivity to
the Internet.

Our network engineers are currently investigating this.

If you are struggling to connect to the Internet then please try powering
off your modem or router for 30 minutes before powering it back up and
attempting to re-establish a connection to the Internet.
==

Off from 16:30 to 20:00 as far as getting beyond PlusNet pages was
concerned.

One big problem with posting that one here...

If any Plusnet users are having problems they won't be able to read it.....

Old October 11th 14, 08:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 20:34:46 +0100, "Kraftee"
wrote:

This afternoon we experienced a large drop in the number of customer
sessions across our broadband network.

This will have caused a large volume of customers to lose connectivity to
the Internet.

Our network engineers are currently investigating this.

If you are struggling to connect to the Internet then please try powering
off your modem or router for 30 minutes before powering it back up and
attempting to re-establish a connection to the Internet.
==

Off from 16:30 to 20:00 as far as getting beyond PlusNet pages was
concerned.

One big problem with posting that one here...

If any Plusnet users are having problems they won't be able to read it.....

Unless they've kept an old dial-up connection, or they've got a friend
on a different ISP.

Rod.
Old October 11th 14, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 11/10/2014 20:34, Kraftee wrote:

"Michael R N Dolbear" wrote in message

11/10/2014 @ 17:06

This afternoon we experienced a large drop in the number of customer
sessions across our broadband network.

This will have caused a large volume of customers to lose connectivity
to the Internet.

Our network engineers are currently investigating this.

If you are struggling to connect to the Internet then please try
powering off your modem or router for 30 minutes before powering it
back up and attempting to re-establish a connection to the Internet.
==

Off from 16:30 to 20:00 as far as getting beyond PlusNet pages was
concerned.

One big problem with posting that one here...

If any Plusnet users are having problems they won't be able to read it.....

Unless they've got an alternative means of connection - mobile phone, etc.

How would *you* advise PN to notify their customers in a way which
doesn't rely on the PN connection being up?

As an adise, it makes some sense to have such messages sent to a non-PN
address. That way, if PN's POP server is down (not the connection, of
course) you can still receive the messages. Mine go to an old Freeserve
address.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old October 11th 14, 09:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive Page

On 11/10/2014 20:24, Michael R N Dolbear wrote:

11/10/2014 @ 17:06

This afternoon we experienced a large drop in the number of customer
sessions across our broadband network.

This will have caused a large volume of customers to lose connectivity
to the Internet.

Our network engineers are currently investigating this.

If you are struggling to connect to the Internet then please try
powering off your modem or router for 30 minutes before powering it back
up and attempting to re-establish a connection to the Internet.
==

Off from 16:30 to 20:00 as far as getting beyond PlusNet pages was
concerned.

Same here. The initial phone message on 0800 432 0200 said something
like "a large proportion of our customers are affected". Later this
changed to a shorter message which didn't any detail at all. The
dedicated service status line 0800 917 6714 had no messages whatever,
exactly as it is when the service is working perfectly: I don't know why
Plusnet bothers to keep the number going it is so useless.

--
Clive Page
Old October 11th 14, 09:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive Page

On 11/10/2014 20:53, Roger Mills wrote:
How would *you* advise PN to notify their customers in a way which
doesn't rely on the PN connection being up?

Mobile phone text message?

Old October 11th 14, 09:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Michael R N Dolbear (for it is he) wrote:

11/10/2014 @ 17:06

This afternoon we experienced a large drop in the number of customer
sessions across our broadband network.

This will have caused a large volume of customers to lose connectivity to
the Internet.

The other way around, surely?

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:39:00 up 41 days, 11:54, 6 users, load average: 0.76, 0.62, 0.55

Old October 11th 14, 09:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 11/10/2014 20:34, Kraftee wrote:
One big problem with posting that one here...

If any Plusnet users are having problems they won't be able to read
it.....

Unless they've got an alternative means of connection - mobile phone, etc.

How would *you* advise PN to notify their customers in a way which doesn't
rely on the PN connection being up?

As an aside, it makes some sense to have such messages sent to a non-PN
address. That way, if PN's POP server is down (not the connection, of
course) you can still receive the messages. Mine go to an old Freeserve
address.

Yes likewise I get my PN status messages sent to my old Virgin account for
that very reason. I haven't experienced any problems with my PN connection
today.

Old October 11th 14, 10:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael R N Dolbear

"Kraftee" wrote in message ...

"Michael R N Dolbear" wrote

If you are struggling to connect to the Internet then please try powering
off your modem or router for 30 minutes before powering it back up and
attempting to re-establish a connection to the Internet.
==

Off from 16:30 to 20:00 as far as getting beyond PlusNet pages was
concerned.

One big problem with posting that one here...

If any Plusnet users are having problems they won't be able to read
it.....

Which was discussed here in thread [Plusnet:No broadband outage information
on the Service Status phone no 0800 917 6714] about 2014-09-18

https://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=212

Telephone response goes whoosh as the problem hits.

--
Mike D

Old October 12th 14, 11:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim.....

wrote:

This afternoon we experienced a large drop in the number of customer
sessions across our broadband network.

This will have caused a large volume of customers to lose connectivity
the Internet.

Our network engineers are currently investigating this.

If you are struggling to connect to the Internet then please try
powering
off your modem or router for 30 minutes before powering it back up and
attempting to re-establish a connection to the Internet.
==

Off from 16:30 to 20:00 as far as getting beyond PlusNet pages was
concerned.

One big problem with posting that one here...

If any Plusnet users are having problems they won't be able to read
it.....

Unless they've kept an old dial-up connection,

and how many do that

tim