Why UK broadband is ****ing poor

Old October 11th 14, 08:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.misc,uk.politics.misc
7

Default Why UK broadband is ****ing poor

Why UK broadband is ****ing poor
--------------------------------

It seems the reason why UK broadband is **** poor
is down to committees stacked by the like BeeTee
and former employees of big crocporatons that have
a hand in taking all the money from broadband development
funds and keep it all to themselves despite being
funded by the tax payer.

In Sweden and similar places, if you take public money
to build broadband infrastructure, then you MUST share
it with other broadband suppliers.

And, anyone may take the money such as municipalities
and build their own infrstructure as they see fit.

Excluding municipalities from participating by suing
them is the greatest crime committed by broadband companies
to keep the markets to themselves. There needs to be
laws in place to allow municipalities to operate as
corporations and have equal access to funds and thus
build infrastructure on a needs basis.

Secondly, in places like UK, the sharing after taking
tax payer money is nowhere near equal.

In Sweden you might get 70 broadband suppliers offering
packages starting at 100Mbits for $30 or there abouts.
And 1Gbit fiber and such technologies are about $70.

Nowhere near the failed underperforming services
offered by BheeTtee or its competitors.

If you don't have an internet presense that works
to the same global expectations as others,
you may as fsck off home - there is no job for you
either in tomorrows word of work.

If you want to do business with China and India
for example, lay down fat pipes. Its the only way.
Tomorrow its too late to even contempate how best to do it.

Old October 12th 14, 09:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.misc,uk.politics.misc
yetti (not my cousins account)

On 11 Oct 2014 08:40 PM ,7 [email protected] .com wrote:
Why UK broadband is ****ing poor
--------------------------------

[...]

Broadband is **** poor because the majority of the UK public are thick.

They were sold "broadband" by BT as anything above a telephone line modem's 5KB/sec (which was 5 kilo*bytes* per second way back when).

So, 20KB/sec became BT broadband when it should have been named 'narrowband'.

Speeds crept up very slowly to 100KB/sec, at which point they had a marketing brainwave. They remembered that a byte was almost 10 bits, so by a simple change from KB/sec to Kb/sec they could con the average British ignorant into thinking they now had high speed broadband.

They could announce that the 100KB/sec was now 1000Kb/sec, and of course 1000Kb/sec is 1Mb/sec, so at a stroke everyone was duped into thinking they has a superfast broadband connection, when in reality nothing at all had changed.

--
Posted by Mimo Usenet Browser v0.2.5
http://www.mimousenet.com/mimo/post

Old October 12th 14, 09:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.misc,uk.politics.misc
The Natural Philosopher

On 12/10/14 09:13, yetti (not my cousins account) wrote:
Broadband is **** poor because the majority of the UK public are
thick.

They were sold "broadband" by BT as anything above a telephone line
modem's 5KB/sec (which was 5 kilo*bytes* per second way back when).

So, 20KB/sec became BT broadband when it should have been named
'narrowband'.

Speeds crept up very slowly to 100KB/sec, at which point they had a
marketing brainwave. They remembered that a byte was almost 10 bits,
so by a simple change from KB/sec to Kb/sec they could con the
average British ignorant into thinking they now had high speed
broadband.

They could announce that the 100KB/sec was now 1000Kb/sec, and of
course 1000Kb/sec is 1Mb/sec, so at a stroke everyone was duped into
thinking they has a superfast broadband connection, when in reality
nothing at all had changed.

I can assure you it did.

I was stringing optical and copper cables and building the internet long
before broadband, and what happened and is still happening is that the
price of bandwidth simply plummeted.

Domestically my first almost connection to the internet (I could sensd
and receive email) was 2400 baud.

I think I then managed to go 9600, then 56kbps more or less.

Then I used IDSN. Fiendishly expensive but got 64k and fast connection times

Then I got 512k fixed rate ADSL

Then up to 8Mbps which turned out to be around 4Mbps.

In every case I paid LESS than the time before.

And got MORE.

rare story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge. - Erwin Knoll
Old October 12th 14, 10:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 12 Oct 2014 09:45 AM ,The Natural Philosopher wrote:
[...]

I meant, nothing changed between 100KB/sec and 1Mb/sec

Which is 100 kilobytes per second and 1 million bits per second.

But if you have been duped by the companies, then I stand by my statement of the majority of ignorant Brits haven't a clue.

I was stringing optical and copper cables and building the internet long
before broadband, and what happened and is still happening is that the
price of bandwidth simply plummeted.

Domestically my first almost connection to the internet (I could sensd
and receive email) was 2400 baud.

Sounds about right.

I think I then managed to go 9600, then 56kbps more or less.

Not unless you were very fortunate, you did not.

You probably went via 14400 and 15600, to name but two

Then I used IDSN. Fiendishly expensive but got 64k and fast connection times

Then I got 512k fixed rate ADSL

Then up to 8Mbps which turned out to be around 4Mbps.

In every case I paid LESS than the time before.

And got MORE.

However 4Mbps is not broadband.

Broadband these days will be 50Mbps and above.

Old October 12th 14, 10:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB

On 11/10/2014 20:40, 7 wrote:
Why UK broadband is ****ing poor
--------------------------------

[...]

There has long been a tendency for journalists to go on freebies to
foreign countries (often quite undeveloped ones), be put up in a 5 star
hotel and come back writing that everyone in that country has many GB
broadband available. Of course they do not venture outside their hotel
and a few other buildings with high speed broadband and certainly not
into rural areas.

I got fibre (to cabinet) earlier in the year, I sent the test figures to
a friend in the US. He said I was getting three times the speed that he
has even though he lives near 'Silicon Valley' and was until recently
CTO of a major software company (now just a director though owner of his
own company also).

Old October 12th 14, 11:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

yetti (not my cousins account) wrote:

However 4Mbps is not broadband.

Broadband these days will be 50Mbps and above.

Almost correct, the upload speeds have to
be in the 20Mps range to just keep up normal
usage of internet today.

Take a couple of photos and videos to share,
and you got gigabytes in a hour to upload.
This is to show your engineers in offices around the
world how to do something.

I don't see why they bother with screwing
around on upload.

It costs far more money to meter bandwidth
and create kit with different download
and upload speeds than it does to make
symmetrical DSL.

If I give you a 100mbit link in the office,
all I do is connect an ethernet cable
to my port on a switch - cost spread
out between all users 10 to 20 per user.

If I wanted to connect 1000 buildings
with 100Mbit ethernet, the cost is
still 20 per connection + cabling cost +
cost of bidirectional fibre modem pair (60 max)
averaged out per user.

If I wanted to add upload limiting and download rate controlling equipment
and monitoring down to the last byte transferred,
then I best add at leas $1 million to the cost before
starting up.

These *fscking* management trolls in Bhtee and
all the telcos are *fscking* stuuuupiiiid.

They should ditch their Asymmetric DSL and stick
with cheaper Symmetric DSL.

Or at the very least, telcos should be deregulated
even further allowing anyone including municipalities
that have set themselves up as proper companies
to install the last mile.

Old October 12th 14, 11:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

MB wrote:

On 11/10/2014 20:40, 7 wrote:
Why UK broadband is ****ing poor
--------------------------------

[...]

Not everyone is a journalist.
We are engineers who go out there for real on real work missions
and experience the difference for real.

I got fibre (to cabinet) earlier in the year, I sent the test figures to
a friend in the US. He said I was getting three times the speed that he
has even though he lives near 'Silicon Valley' and was until recently
CTO of a major software company (now just a director though owner of his
own company also).

US has been screwed by the encumbants.
Most of the management trolling teclo crap here is coming from over there.

You need to go to Sweden, Korea, Japan, Hong Kong and the like
to understand what speed is all about and how little their
infrastructure costs are.

Old October 12th 14, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.misc,uk.politics.misc
Bob Eager

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 03:13:36 -0500, yetti (not my cousins account) wrote:

On 11 Oct 2014 08:40 PM ,7
[email protected] .com wrote:
Why UK broadband is ****ing poor --------------------------------

I see that "7" is out of school again.

So, 20KB/sec became BT broadband when it should have been named
'narrowband'.

Research the real meaning of 'broadband'...

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Old October 12th 14, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.misc,uk.politics.misc
NY

"yetti (not my cousins account)" wrote in message
Broadband is **** poor because the majority of the UK public are thick.

They were sold "broadband" by BT as anything above a telephone line
modem's 5KB/sec (which was 5 kilo*bytes* per second way back when).

So, 20KB/sec became BT broadband when it should have been named
'narrowband'.

Speeds crept up very slowly to 100KB/sec, at which point they had a
marketing brainwave. They remembered that a byte was almost 10 bits, so by
a simple change from KB/sec to Kb/sec they could con the average British
ignorant into thinking they now had high speed broadband.

They could announce that the 100KB/sec was now 1000Kb/sec, and of course
1000Kb/sec is 1Mb/sec, so at a stroke everyone was duped into thinking
they has a superfast broadband connection, when in reality nothing at all
had changed.

Broadband is poor because most ISPs (Plusnet excluded) offer abysmal service
when anything goes wrong, because they have contracted out the call centres
to overseas countries staffed by people whose first language is not English.
That shows a bewildering level of contempt for their customers. This means
that when problems occur, a lot of time is wasted going through noddy things
that you've already eliminated *and told them very clearly that you have
eliminated*, and it takes forever for calls to be escalated to someone who
knows what they are talking about and can actually start fixing things.

If I was choosing an ISP afresh (I've already found a good one) I would pay
far more attention to the technical service when things go wrong than I
would to price or speed.

Old October 12th 14, 06:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.misc,uk.politics.misc
Chris

On 11/10/14 20:40, 7 wrote:
Why UK broadband is ****ing poor

In Sweden you might get 70 broadband suppliers offering
packages starting at 100Mbits for $30 or there abouts.
And 1Gbit fiber and such technologies are about $70.

If it's really that important to your 'business' (as you've stated in
many other threads), then why not **** off to Sweden...?