BT Business Email Lite - SMTP question

Old October 14th 14, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Default BT Business Email Lite - SMTP question

This is the email address used to manage an ADSL account with BT.

The email address and password work with www.bt.com/business/login

Using Outloook 2003 I can receive email correctly - the settings a

POP3 Server = outlook.office365.com; port 995; SSL

I've tried many combinations for sending but none work:

Outgoing server requires authentication = yes
Use same settings as my incoming mail server.

SSL/TLS port 587 fails error = SSL not supported
No SSL port 587 fails error = client not authenticated (!!!!)
No SSL port 465 fails error = timeout
SSL/TLS port 465 fails error = SSL not supported

This is testing from a PC at another site, not the site relating to the
ADSL connection.

I referred to:

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/a...fice-365%29%3F

.... which suggests that BT Business Email Lite does support SMTP

Any ideas?

--
Graham J
Old October 14th 14, 12:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nemo

On 14/10/2014 11:30, Graham J wrote:
This is testing from a PC at another site, not the site relating to the
ADSL connection.

That may be the problem. With many ISPs, you cannot send email via the
ISP's servers unless you are using the associated ISP broadband connection.

Otherwise
This page gives set-up specifics for Outlook 2003:
http://bit.ly/1r0Pnah

If following that to the letter doesn't work, suggest a call to BT's
help line:
http://bit.ly/1pWZcWl
Old October 14th 14, 04:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies

Graham J wrote:
POP3 Server = outlook.office365.com; port 995; SSL

Outgoing server requires authentication = yes
Use same settings as my incoming mail server.

SSL/TLS port 587 fails error = SSL not supported
No SSL port 587 fails error = client not authenticated (!!!!)
No SSL port 465 fails error = timeout
SSL/TLS port 465 fails error = SSL not supported

See http://technet.microsoft.com/library/dn554323.aspx and the
footnote regarding submissions via port 587. The endpoint should be
smtp.office365.com (although from here that resolves to the same host
as outlook.office365.com).

If you're getting "client not authenticated", try providing explicit
credentials (rather than simply saying use the incoming credentials).

Generally, TLS on 587 could work, but SSL won't. SSL on 465 would work if
it was supported - but it isn't; TLS wouldn't work.

Chris
Old October 14th 14, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Chris Davies wrote:
Graham J wrote:
POP3 Server = outlook.office365.com; port 995; SSL

Outgoing server requires authentication = yes
Use same settings as my incoming mail server.

SSL/TLS port 587 fails error = SSL not supported
No SSL port 587 fails error = client not authenticated (!!!!)
No SSL port 465 fails error = timeout
SSL/TLS port 465 fails error = SSL not supported

See http://technet.microsoft.com/library/dn554323.aspx and the
footnote regarding submissions via port 587. The endpoint should be
smtp.office365.com (although from here that resolves to the same host
as outlook.office365.com).

If you're getting "client not authenticated", try providing explicit
credentials (rather than simply saying use the incoming credentials).

Generally, TLS on 587 could work, but SSL won't. SSL on 465 would work if
it was supported - but it isn't; TLS wouldn't work.

SMTP server = smtp.office365.com

Tried explicit authentication for SMTP server
with port 587 and SSL unticked

Still get error = client not authenticated

In Outlook 2003 there is no option to specify TLS. I have SP3.

From: http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/154/t/22282.aspx

I quote:

"
Learning from the engineer in our product team, Outlook 2003 was
designed and built for an environment where servers are maintained
locally within an organization and not part of a cloud service. Outlook
2003 does not support features and functionality that depend on the
re-architected identity infrastructure and newer server architecture
available in Office 365. Given these changes, Outlook 2003 cannot
provide an acceptable end-user experience when connected to Office 365.
"

So it will never work. Oh well .... (sigh).

--
Graham J

Old October 14th 14, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Freeman

Graham J wrote:

"
Learning from the engineer in our product team, Outlook 2003 was
designed and built for an environment where servers are maintained
locally within an organization and not part of a cloud service. Outlook
2003 does not support features and functionality that depend on the
re-architected identity infrastructure and newer server architecture
available in Office 365. Given these changes, Outlook 2003 cannot
provide an acceptable end-user experience when connected to Office 365.
"

So it will never work. Oh well .... (sigh).

I have managed to set up access to a btconnect account on office365 using
thunderbird. (Which is much better than Outlook2003 anyway, I hate that
program it is a piece of crap.) The settings to use are

POP setting
Server name: pop.outlook.com
Port: 995
Encryption method: SSL/TLS

SMTP setting
Server name: smtp.outlook.com
Port: 587
Encryption method: STARTTLS
Authentication - normal password
username: full email address

I'm not sure if Outlook2003 can do the same settings or not.
One trouble with Thunderbird is it tries to guess the server name based on
the email address and this fails, so you have to cancel that and enter the
details manually.

Why BT have outsourced their email to a US company, thus destroying any
possibility of privacy I have no idea (or did I just answer my own
question?) Fortunately we now have our own mail server inhouse but we still
need to pick up messages BT send to the default email account for the
broadband connection so I had to set the above up.

Old October 15th 14, 03:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kráftéé

"Gordon Freeman" wrote in message
Graham J wrote:

"
[...]

Why don't you tell BT to send the 'default messages' to your in house
server?

It's what I have done and the only problem I've had is the company providing
the service decided to send an email to my BT account (which I haven't
polled for years).