call me suspicious but....

Old October 23rd 14, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tg

Default call me suspicious but....

I've had solid reliable adsl bb at my home for at least 10 years and I've
always got at least 5M/sec during that time. During October my bb has been
dropping out, I rang my ISP (plusnet) and they reset the line and things
appear to be solid again however my speed has dropped from 5.8M/sec to
3.6M/sec. I find it suspicious that my bb should start playing up like this
when my area is set to get fftc this coming December.
I have been working in onsite computer repairs for 15 years and I remember
back in the days of dialup I noticed users' connection speeds were lowering,
and this general speed slowdown co-incided with the rollout of the first bb
packages. Trouble with the line speed would be the perfect 'nudge' to make
the customer ring up about it whereupon they could be sold the 'upgrade' to
solve the problem. I don't trust these *******s one inch.
If there is tampering going on who would be responsible for that? Would it
be openreach or plusnet?

Old October 23rd 14, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

tg wrote:
[...]

Is this sync speed or download speed?

What parameters did the router report, both before October and now?
Specifically we need to know:

sync speed
SNR margin
loop attenuation
error rate

.... for both download and upload

If the sync speed is unchanged from before and now, then the issue is
contention - a change of ISP might help.

Can you find out from Plusnet the BRAS profile? If they have changed
this, you should find out why.

--
Graham J

Old October 23rd 14, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Yeees. I am, sort of, in a similar situation ...

I live way out in the wilds of Scotland, and my BB from Plusnet,
although a lot slower than yours, is usually pretty solid. However,
as with yours, it's been chronically unreliable for about a fortnight
or so, going down momentarily every few hours or so. About two or
three months ago, all the local connections were cut through by a
neighbour mowing the verge, because originally BT never bothered to
bury the cables properly, and for a while we all used connections
remade inside a plastic bag resting on the verge. However, that has
now been repaired, and suddenly BT thought it might be a good idea to
bury the cable after all (doh)!

The local exchange is also due to get upgraded early next year, though
I don't think we will be getting fibre coming out to as far as here.

I share your cynical suspicions, but have no idea how one would set
about investigating the truth. Perhaps Kraftee can comment. Also I
think that Plusnet support staff sometimes call in here.

Old October 24th 14, 06:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rodney Pont

[...]

Hi tg, if that's sync speed lines and connections do age and speed
falls normally but that is quite a drop in one go, Is the voice line
quiet (pick up the phone and press one number, that will kill the dial
tone, and listen)? If it's noisy report the noise on the line to your
voice provider. Don't forget to listen for a clear and unbroken dial
tone first though :-)

My line passes through some trees and every few years my sync speed
drops and when I pick up the phone there is no dial tone - the trees
have won again!

--
Faster, cheaper, quieter than HS2
and built in 5 years;

Old October 24th 14, 09:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tg

Is this sync speed or download speed?

download speed as tested with speedtest.net

What parameters did the router report, both before October and now?
Specifically we need to know:

sync speed
SNR margin
loop attenuation
error rate

I don't have this data

If the sync speed is unchanged from before and now, then the issue is
contention - a change of ISP might help.

Can you find out from Plusnet the BRAS profile? If they have changed
this, you should find out why.

I try and see what plusnet come back with.
Old October 24th 14, 09:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tg

"Rodney Pont" wrote in message
fohit.me.uk...
On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 21:48:50 +0100, tg wrote:

Hi tg, if that's sync speed lines and connections do age and speed
falls normally but that is quite a drop in one go, Is the voice line
quiet (pick up the phone and press one number, that will kill the dial
tone, and listen)? If it's noisy report the noise on the line to your
voice provider. Don't forget to listen for a clear and unbroken dial
tone first though :-)

there has been noise on the line and that's been reported to plusnet

Old October 24th 14, 10:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rodney Pont

On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 09:49:33 +0100, tg wrote:

sync speed
SNR margin
loop attenuation
error rate

I don't have this data

You should be able to get this data from your modem. It's far more
important than a download speed test.

Old October 24th 14, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rodney Pont

On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 09:51:22 +0100, tg wrote:

Hi tg, if that's sync speed lines and connections do age and speed
falls normally but that is quite a drop in one go, Is the voice line
quiet (pick up the phone and press one number, that will kill the dial
tone, and listen)? If it's noisy report the noise on the line to your
voice provider. Don't forget to listen for a clear and unbroken dial
tone first though :-)

there has been noise on the line and that's been reported to plusnet

Are Plusnet your voice provider as well as broadband? It's you voice
provider who has to deal with audible noise on the line.

Old October 24th 14, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flyig u 214 + on desktop

tg wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't believe that coming December date tg. Mine was due to to be
avaolable on 31st December 2012. In that month they amended the date to
31st March 2013 and it's now at 31st December 2014. There has bee no
outward change to the cabinet which is only about 50 yards away in all
that time. However 200 yards away in every direction from me people
have been on FTTC for ages now. I'm awaiting with interest to see
how close they get to 31st December this time before thek amend the
availability date for the umpteenth time. I'm using
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/AD...neNumberOutput
regularly to keep tabs on it, but don't hold out any hope. Like you
I'm with Plusnet, but their hands are tied with regard to availability
of FTTC, I have been with them for quite some years and my connection
speed has also dropped a fair bit over the last couple of years when it
was around 9.2 Mbps. It's currently been rock steady at 8.2 Mbps. .
--
Heard melodies are sweet but those Unheard are sweeter
FN 214+. Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland

Old October 24th 14, 11:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 24/10/2014 09:49, tg wrote:
Is this sync speed or download speed?

download speed as tested with speedtest.net

As alluded to by others, to get a full picture we'd need to know your
sync speed, BRAS profile and Plusnet profile.

What parameters did the router report, both before October and now?
Specifically we need to know:

sync speed
SNR margin
loop attenuation
error rate

I don't have this data

Are you sure? Almost all current router/modems will supply it. If you're
using our router then you'll find it under Broadband Connection (DSL
Connection) View More Details, once logged into the router interface.

If the sync speed is unchanged from before and now, then the issue is
contention - a change of ISP might help.

Can you find out from Plusnet the BRAS profile? If they have changed
this, you should find out why.

You can find out the BT BRAS profile by running a speedtest here (you'll
need to run the 'Further Diagnostics' after the initial test -
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

I try and see what plusnet come back with.

You can see the Plusnet profile here -
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?acti...transfer_speed

Rest assured, we're not deliberately tampering with your line.