4g broadband for business

Old October 25th 14, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeremy

Default 4g broadband for business

Hi

Anyone know if any of the networks are offering 4g broadband for
business? Where we are located we can get very good upload/download
(40mbps) whereas ADSL (the only othr broadband tech available to us)
delivers a paltry 3.5mbps

Have done some googling but looking for recommendations also.

--
jeremy

Old October 25th 14, 02:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Jeremy" wrote in message
t...
Hi

Anyone know if any of the networks are offering 4g broadband for
business? Where we are located we can get very good upload/download
(40mbps) whereas ADSL (the only othr broadband tech available to us)
delivers a paltry 3.5mbps

Whereabouts do you live that you can get usable data rates from mobile
broadband? My experience of it is that my Samsung Galaxy phone gets 2G at
best in most places (and often no phone or data coverage at all) and even
with 3G I only get a few hundred kilobits/sec.

I live in a village about half a mile from a trunk road from York to
Scarborough, and even in towns such as Malton, Pickering and Scarborough I'm
lucky if I get 3G. In the centre of Leeds, with a strong voice signal (as
shown by the five-bars scale) and 3G, the Speedtest app only gets about 150
kb/sec. In 2G areas I'm lucky to get 20 kb/sec - much worse even than
dial-up broadband.

40 Mb/sec sounds like the stuff of dreams, myths and fairy stories :-)

I wish mobile phone companies, either by choice or by compulsion, would
devote their efforts on making sure that everyone/everywhere can get at
least 3G and something like 1 Mbps, instead of spending their money
improving the speed in areas which already have usable mobile broadband.

Old October 25th 14, 04:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 14:56:13 +0100, "NY" wrote:

I wish mobile phone companies, either by choice or by compulsion, would
devote their efforts on making sure that everyone/everywhere can get at
least 3G and something like 1 Mbps, instead of spending their money
improving the speed in areas which already have usable mobile broadband.

But that would involve a lot of digging roads up and laying cables to
reach areas not yet served by existing ones. Real work, in other
words. It would require a lot of organisation and a lot of permissions
to be sought. This is something that public service organisations used
to do in the days when we had public service organisations. Now we
just have lots of businesses that blame each other when things don't
work. If you're a business, it's much cheaper to see how much you can
squeeze down the infrastructure that's already there, and see how much
more you can charge for it.

Rod.
Old October 25th 14, 07:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Roderick Stewart (for it is he) wrote:

On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 14:56:13 +0100, "NY" wrote:

I wish mobile phone companies, either by choice or by compulsion, would
devote their efforts on making sure that everyone/everywhere can get at
least 3G and something like 1 Mbps

If it wasn't cost effective to offer 1G - 3G service, then why would 4G
differ? One possible ray of light for you may be the emergency services
moving their mobile comms to LTE.

If you're a business, it's much cheaper to see how much you can
squeeze down the infrastructure that's already there, and see how much
more you can charge for it.

Or, to put it another way, it's a lot cheaper to put some new kit in a base
station to upgrade it, than it is to build a new one.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
18:51:43 up 55 days, 9:07, 8 users, load average: 0.85, 0.59, 0.53

Old October 25th 14, 07:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Mark Carver (for it is he) wrote:

I don't know how you go about getting a proper service provisioned for a
building ?

You can get routers with WWAN radios in, and some firewalls have USB for
plugging a dongle into. There are a few ways to approach it.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
19:02:34 up 55 days, 9:18, 8 users, load average: 0.56, 0.56, 0.53

Old October 25th 14, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_2_]

NY wrote:

"Jeremy" wrote:

Anyone know if any of the networks are offering 4g broadband for
business? Where we are located we can get very good upload/download
(40mbps)

40 Mb/sec sounds like the stuff of dreams, myths and fairy stories :-)

I find it's fairly easily achievable with 4G, my best is 49.91Mbps down

Old October 25th 14, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

Ah, that brings back memories of Electronics Times.

"Basingford, wonder science city of the south."

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com