TV wifi becoming unreliable

Old October 28th 14, 04:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Default TV wifi becoming unreliable

I've had a Samsung smart TV for about 6 months now and have been
streaming iPlayer/4OD/Amazon Prime/etc since the start.

Initially, the wifi connecting was very solid with only the odd film
stopping due to a lost network connection. Now, it's every time and
often more than once - very frustrating. I've no idea why it drops the
connection as I can simply reselect my wifi and it reconnects with
little fuss. Is this an interference issue or is my router on it's way
out or am I going to need to get powerline adaptors?

Suggestions gratefully received.
Old October 28th 14, 05:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Invalid

See if you can find out what channels are in use close to you.

Use one of the apps for a smartphone, tablet or laptop that will show
the local signals and the channels they are on. It may be that your
neighbour has recently got a (new) wireless router which is now on the
same channel as yours.

If you have a clash, try swapping the channel the router uses and see if
that helps.

Regards

In message , chris
writes

--
Invalid
Old October 28th 14, 05:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"chris" wrote in message
I've had a Samsung smart TV for about 6 months now and
have been streaming iPlayer/4OD/Amazon Prime/etc since the
start.

Initially, the wifi connecting was very solid with only
the odd film stopping due to a lost network connection.
Now, it's every time and often more than once - very
frustrating. I've no idea why it drops the connection as I
can simply reselect my wifi and it reconnects with little
fuss. Is this an interference issue or is my router on
it's way out or am I going to need to get powerline
adaptors?

Suggestions gratefully received.

Almost certainly an interference issue.

If you have an Android smartphone download a free app call
Wi-Fi Analyser. When you run it (wi-fi switched on of
course) it will show you all of the wi-fi signals it can
see. Most units default to channels 11, 1, 6 in that order
with the odd 13 thrown in for good measure. It should give
you an idea of an empty channel - 3, 8, and 9 very often.
Then dig into your router and change the channel from auto
to specified and behold all should be cured.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old October 28th 14, 05:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Andrews[_2_]

On 28/10/2014 17:13, Woody wrote:
"chris" wrote in message
[...]

...but be aware that channels overlap, but that is clear if you use
Wi-Fi Analyser. See what the signal strengths look like and make an
informed decision about changing.

It could also be contention on your broadband connection.

Peter
Old October 28th 14, 07:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Woody wrote:
"chris" wrote in message
[...]

The channels overlap though, that's why the defaults tend to be 1, 6
and 13. All the channels in between overlap so will interfere almost
as much as a signal on the same channel. I.e. if you choose channel 3
or 4 you will get interference from both channel 1 and channel 6.

'Interference' is probably a misnomer in reality, well behaved WiFi
devices should detect each others' presence on the same channel and
'time share' the channel. This will of course slow things down but
connections shouldn't be dropped as a consequence.

--
Chris Green

Old October 28th 14, 08:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

chris wrote:
I've had a Samsung smart TV for about 6 months now and have been
streaming iPlayer/4OD/Amazon Prime/etc since the start.

Initially, the wifi

Why? Use an Ethernet cable instead !!!

Old October 28th 14, 08:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 28/10/14 17:13, Woody wrote:
"chris" wrote in message
[...]

Very useful - thanks! There are two 'Wifi Analyzer' apps; I just chose
the first one (by farproc).

Lots of interesting info: all the neighbours have HomeHubs all bar one
are on channel 1 (the one is on 6). I'm on channel 11 so no overlap,
plus the signal strength at the TV is -70dB, the rest are below -90dB.
In theory all should be good.

I'll monitor it to see if there are other clashes when we're having
problems.