Internet speed question

Old October 29th 14, 08:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Syke

Default Internet speed question

Hope I can explain this clearly: I have a contract with Virgin.net
for which I pay 26.35 monthly. It is billed as"up to 16 MBPS" At 0830
yesterday, my router showed download speed of 7824 KBPS. At 1400 it
showed 7824 KBPS. A Speedtest showed 6.79 MBPS at 0830 and at 1400 it
was 6.72 MBPS. However, when I downloaded a binary image at 0830 it
appeared almost instantly, but at 1400 it took about 90 seconds and
later that evening wouldn't load at all.

Any ideas on this?

Regards and thanks in advance

Syke
Old October 29th 14, 08:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

On 29/10/2014 20:43, Syke wrote:
Hope I can explain this clearly: I have a contract with Virgin.net for
which I pay 26.35 monthly. It is billed as"up to 16 MBPS" At 0830
yesterday, my router showed download speed of 7824 KBPS. At 1400 it
showed 7824 KBPS. A Speedtest showed 6.79 MBPS at 0830 and at 1400 it
was 6.72 MBPS. However, when I downloaded a binary image at 0830 it
appeared almost instantly, but at 1400 it took about 90 seconds and
later that evening wouldn't load at all.

Any ideas on this?

Regards and thanks in advance

Syke

Half term a lot of children on the internet?
Regards
David

Old October 29th 14, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Syke" wrote in message
Hope I can explain this clearly: I have a contract with
Virgin.net for which I pay 26.35 monthly. It is billed
as"up to 16 MBPS" At 0830 yesterday, my router showed
download speed of 7824 KBPS. At 1400 it showed 7824 KBPS.
A Speedtest showed 6.79 MBPS at 0830 and at 1400 it was
6.72 MBPS. However, when I downloaded a binary image at
0830 it appeared almost instantly, but at 1400 it took
about 90 seconds and later that evening wouldn't load at
all.

Any ideas on this?

Regards and thanks in advance

Syke

Have a look into your router and see what speed you are
actually getting - Speedtest could be misleading you.

The router will have a label on it giving its address
(something like 192.168.1.1) and a username/password. Open
your browser and type the 192.168...... number directly into
the address line - no www or anything else, just the number.
A page will open for username and password (or just
password) and after these have been entered it will take you
to a status page on which somewhere will be download and
upload speeds.

I am on VM cable at 30Mb but I can assure you at the moment
its nothing like that. The absolute data rate may well be
30Mb or near that but the actual Internet feed is slow,
possibly as already suggested due to half term and rain?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old October 29th 14, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Syke wrote:
Hope I can explain this clearly: I have a contract with Virgin.net for
which I pay 26.35 monthly. It is billed as "up to 16 MBPS" At 0830
yesterday, my router showed download speed of 7824 KBPS. At 1400 it
showed 7824 KBPS. A Speedtest showed 6.79 MBPS at 0830 and at 1400 it
was 6.72 MBPS. However, when I downloaded a binary image at 0830 it
appeared almost instantly, but at 1400 it took about 90 seconds and
later that evening wouldn't load at all.

Any ideas on this?

Regards and thanks in advance

Answer = Virgin.net

Contention, eiher on the backhaul from the local exchange, or possibly
in the peering connection between Virgin and the site hosting the binary
image. You may also find that Virgin optimises their connectionto
speedtest sites.

Whatever, change your ISP.

--
Graham J

Old October 30th 14, 07:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Graham J" wrote in message
Syke wrote:
[...]

Why? Although I'm on cable from what I read on here and from
work I have done assisting others (physically) with
broadband issues I doubt VM are any worse than most ISPs and
in many areas probably a damn site better (ignoring the
likes of Zen, AAISP and the like on price grounds alone.)
They would not be hosts for a number of other virtual ISPs
if they weren't acceptable to them would they?

On the other side of the coin I've been helping a neighbour
with his B/B which is P.O. Broadband but the underlying ISP
is TalkTalk. He has only had the service since 1st July but
is on his third router: router 1 was solid wi-fi but kept
resyncing and rebooting (by TT's own admission 15 times in
one 5 hour period) so they sent a replacement; router 2 was
a lot more stable sometimes going four days without a
resync, but the wi-fi kept shutting down for no apparent
reason, so they sent him another; router 3 the wi-fi packed
up completely after two days - we never got chance to check
the line reliability! TT say that a resync twice a day is
acceptable and is in their Ts & Cs although I can't find any
reference to it. They had of course sent BTOR to check the
line before starting the router swap routine. When the
service works it is good - he is getting 16Mb rock solid. TT
do have an alternative Thomson router which is good at
handling these sort of problems but Co policy is that it is
not used on lines less than 3180 metres in length. Eh?

Between routers 2 and 3 I fitted an Echolink router for him
that I found at the tip. This router, made by Huawei, is one
of the standard routers that used to be issued by TalkTalk
themselves but I assume has been superceded as it is only
802.11g (54Mb) wi-fi. That router resynced once the day
after I fitted it but then worked perfectly for well over a
week without a hiccup.

My advice to the OP would be to stay where he is with VM and
see what happens next week when the schools have gone back.

Old October 30th 14, 08:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

On 29/10/2014 21:09, Woody wrote:
"Syke" wrote in message

At 0830 yesterday, my router showed
download speed of 7824 KBPS. At 1400 it showed 7824 KBPS.
A Speedtest showed 6.79 MBPS at 0830 and at 1400 it was
6.72 MBPS.

Have a look into your router and see what speed you are
actually getting - Speedtest could be misleading you.

He did. It was 7824 kb/s

--
Mark
Old October 30th 14, 10:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Woody (for it is he) wrote:

Although I'm on cable from what I read on here and from
work I have done assisting others (physically) with
broadband issues I doubt VM are any worse than most ISPs and
in many areas probably a damn site better

They would not be hosts for a number of other virtual ISPs
if they weren't acceptable to them would they?

What do you mean by 'virtual ISPs'? VM are the only company that sell
access to VM's network, unlike, say, BT or TT.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
10:25:44 up 3 days, 58 min, 5 users, load average: 0.37, 0.50, 0.52

Old October 30th 14, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"alexd" wrote in message
Woody (for it is he) wrote:

Although I'm on cable from what I read on here and from
work I have done assisting others (physically) with
broadband issues I doubt VM are any worse than most ISPs
and
in many areas probably a damn site better

They would not be hosts for a number of other virtual
ISPs
if they weren't acceptable to them would they?

What do you mean by 'virtual ISPs'? VM are the only
company that sell
access to VM's network, unlike, say, BT or TT.

No, VM are also the provider for Which? broadband and a
couple of others, hence why I said virtual as it is still a
VM person that answers a call even if they say they are
Which? By the same token I would class P.O. b/b as a virtual
as it is all handled by TT and even though they answer the
help line as P.O they will freely admit if challenged that
they are TT.

Old October 30th 14, 05:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Woody (for it is he) wrote:

No, VM are also the provider for Which? broadband and a
couple of others, hence why I said virtual as it is still a
VM person that answers a call even if they say they are
Which?

Whoops, I thought you meant wholesale.

Are you certain that 'Which? broadband' actually exists? There's no sign of
it on their site. It doesn't seem like the sort of thing that an
organisation that purports to be a neutral, trusted advisor would offer,
either.

By the same token I would class P.O. b/b as a virtual
as it is all handled by TT and even though they answer the
help line as P.O they will freely admit if challenged that
they are TT.

The people who answer support calls for PO BB work for Capita, so it seems
unlikely that they'd say they work for Talktalk.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
16:40:04 up 3 days, 7:12, 5 users, load average: 0.50, 0.59, 0.56

Old October 30th 14, 05:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"alexd" wrote in message
Woody (for it is he) wrote:

[...]

I've spoken to them at least a half dozen times and four
different people and at least three of them have said they
are TT.