FTTP question

Old November 27th 14, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Default FTTP question

A building which used to be rented out to a large multi-national company
has what appears to be a live fibre connection.

There is some termination equipment (a white box, rather larger than a
Vigor router) which has power and some lights indicating to me that the
fibre connection is live.

We think the fibre runs to the local (village) exchange - the previous
tenant had the road dug up specially! We imagine that the village
exchange already has fibre to the nearby town. FTTC in the village is
provisionally planned for next year.

The owner of the building is running his business there newo, which is
expanding beyond the capabilities of the ADSL he uses at present. So he
wants to use the existing fibre for his internet connection. He knows
the rental may well be ten times what he pays for ADSL, and he is
prepared for that, particularly if it gets him better reliability!

So how does he go about getting the existing fibre connected to the
internet?

--
Graham J
Old November 27th 14, 06:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Graham J" wrote in message
[...]

There should be some sort of identification on the box -
often two or three letters and 4-6 numbers - which is its
distribution frame number. That could be a starting point to
talk to BT Business?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old November 27th 14, 07:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

On 27/11/2014 18:12, Graham J wrote:
[...]

Is this a bit naughty so maybe shouldn't do it but what happens if he
plugs in does it work?
Regards
David
Old November 27th 14, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

David wrote:
[...]

The device has some strange connector: I think a 25-way D-type, so
probably a V24 or similar connection intended for a Cisco router. I
don't have one to hand to try.

--
Graham J

Old November 27th 14, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Woody wrote:
"Graham J" wrote in message
[...]

One rectangular BT box about 8-inches by 6-inches says: "YQOFD on 4591"

Out of this comes 2 orange fibres, to the line termination box.

Going in, there is a white stiff cable, probably oval cross section.

A couple of yards away there is a thin BT box about 1-inch square
cross-section and 6-inches long. In one end goes the white stiff cable,
in the other a black armoured cable going into a duct in the concrete
floor. This box is marked "T8PY8 to YQOFD on 4591".

I'm looking at photos wthout any scale reference, so the measurements
may be a bit off.

--
Graham J

Old November 27th 14, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 27/11/14 18:12, Graham J wrote:
[...]

contact and ISP and get them to quote and say you have fibre installed
already.

In general though its changed a bit, yuou end up with a fibre
termination box probably supplied by BT that takes G703 or similar
presentation which you push into a decent router like a cisco.

Maybe these days you can get Ethernet and run PPPoE - I dunno. In my day
it was G703 tho.

rare story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge. - Erwin Knoll
Old November 27th 14, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 27/11/14 22:35, Graham J wrote:
Woody wrote:
"Graham J" wrote in message
[...]

the box you will replace,, but those fibres are the bit you need.

contact a bix level ISP. Idnet AAA etc etc.

Old November 29th 14, 02:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

Graham J wrote:

[...]

Well its a bit of a *fscking* question if you are talking about Bhhtteee.

All Bhtee policies regarding fiber to the premises is dreamed up
in pubs by adding an extra 00 to the quoted costs while the rest
of the world moves on.

Most serious industrialised countries and a whole of smaller
countries have uncontended 100Mbits fiber internet for
about 50 and faster.

The best countries have deregulated the last mile and have
numerous companies that provision the last mile of fiber
and very cost competitive.

The last mile needs to be deregulated to allow at least
20 competitors per area to allow UK to catch up
with the rest of the world. Then may be meaninful answers
can be provided.

Otherwise the rule of thumb to use in UK fiber commissioning is
to think of a big number, add 00 to the end of it,
ring Bhtteee, and hope that you get some fiber
instead of getting totally buggered.

There aren't any online crib sheets or cost
calculators because Bhttee are stuuuuooopid people
who don't know what click and order meanz (TM).

The fscking trolls running Bhttee take down whole
of UK with their management trolls and ideas
of customer service.

Anway, Good Luck!

Old November 29th 14, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"7" [email protected] .com
wrote in message ...
Graham J wrote:

[...]

Somewhat agree.

We have friends in Germany who have had FTTP for about six
years now and get their phone, TV, and broadband for about
the same as I am paying for basic VM B/B and FTA TV!

Gawd help us if BT manage to buy one of the cellular SPs!

Old November 29th 14, 07:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 18:28:11 -0000, "Woody"
wrote:

"7" [email protected] .com
wrote in message ...
Graham J wrote:

[...]

That's two of us agreeing with "7" albeit with reservations.

They say even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%