accessing google when using non BT DNS servers

Old November 27th 14, 11:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robert[_2_]

Default accessing google when using non BT DNS servers

Win 7 Pro SP1
ISP BT Broadband

Today, I was unable to access google.com or google.co.uk unless I let my
machine automatically allocate DNS servers - ie: use my ISP defaults via
the BTHomehub.

I've tried setting OpenDNS servers or google DNS servers but that
prevents me accessing google.

Not seen this before - anyone got any ideas please?
Old November 28th 14, 12:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

On 27/11/14 23:43, Robert wrote:
Win 7 Pro SP1
ISP BT Broadband

Today, I was unable to access google.com or google.co.uk unless I let my
machine automatically allocate DNS servers - ie: use my ISP defaults via
the BTHomehub.

I've tried setting OpenDNS servers or google DNS servers but that
prevents me accessing google.

Not seen this before - anyone got any ideas please?

dunno. Like most linux users my linux box ahas its own caching dns
server so I just go to the root servers and find my way from there.
Works for me OK

My guess is that your 'local' name servers got corrupted.

rare story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge. - Erwin Knoll
Old November 28th 14, 08:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robert[_2_]

On 27/11/14 23:43, Robert wrote:
Win 7 Pro SP1
ISP BT Broadband

Today, I was unable to access google.com or google.co.uk unless I let my
machine automatically allocate DNS servers - ie: use my ISP defaults via
the BTHomehub.

I've tried setting OpenDNS servers or google DNS servers but that
prevents me accessing google.

Not seen this before - anyone got any ideas please?

dunno. Like most linux users my linux box ahas its own caching dns
server so I just go to the root servers and find my way from there.
Works for me OK

My guess is that your 'local' name servers got corrupted.

Seems to be a more general problem according to Twitter @BTCare - others
in same situation - if they DONT use BT DNS servers, then google and
youtube are unavailable.
Old November 28th 14, 09:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Invalid

In message , Robert
writes
On 27/11/14 23:43, Robert wrote:
Win 7 Pro SP1
ISP BT Broadband

Today, I was unable to access google.com or google.co.uk unless I let my
machine automatically allocate DNS servers - ie: use my ISP defaults via
the BTHomehub.

I've tried setting OpenDNS servers or google DNS servers but that
prevents me accessing google.

Not seen this before - anyone got any ideas please?

dunno. Like most linux users my linux box ahas its own caching dns
server so I just go to the root servers and find my way from there.
Works for me OK

My guess is that your 'local' name servers got corrupted.

Seems to be a more general problem according to Twitter @BTCare -
others in same situation - if they DONT use BT DNS servers, then google
and youtube are unavailable.

Could it be that BT have a direct link into Google, YouTube etc for load
balance/caching purposes (or GCHQ convenience) and are blocking access
via other routes.

What does a tracert show with the two name servers.

Regards
--
Invalid
Old November 28th 14, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tigger

Robert writted thus

On 27/11/14 23:43, Robert wrote:
Win 7 Pro SP1 ISP BT Broadband

Today, I was unable to access google.com or google.co.uk unless I let
my machine automatically allocate DNS servers - ie: use my ISP
defaults via the BTHomehub.

I've tried setting OpenDNS servers or google DNS servers but that
prevents me accessing google.

Not seen this before - anyone got any ideas please?

dunno. Like most linux users my linux box ahas its own caching dns
server so I just go to the root servers and find my way from there.
Works for me OK

My guess is that your 'local' name servers got corrupted.

Seems to be a more general problem according to Twitter @BTCare - others
in same situation - if they DONT use BT DNS servers, then google and
youtube are unavailable.

Is it to do with ISPs filtering websites for the gubmint?

--
Free Dropbox: http://db.tt/aI6WBZ7w
Old November 28th 14, 11:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 27/11/2014 23:43, Robert wrote:
Win 7 Pro SP1
ISP BT Broadband

Today, I was unable to access google.com or google.co.uk unless I let my
machine automatically allocate DNS servers - ie: use my ISP defaults via
the BTHomehub.

I've tried setting OpenDNS servers or google DNS servers but that
prevents me accessing google.

Not seen this before - anyone got any ideas please?

Do you have parental controls enabled? If so, try disabling them.

Old November 28th 14, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robert[_2_]

On 28/11/2014 09:24, Invalid wrote:
In message , Robert
writes
On 27/11/14 23:43, Robert wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your reply.

Lots of technical info here on tracerts and nslookups using different
DNS and how people are being affected.
If individuals are using BT DNS they may not see a problem although some
are having trouble with YouTube even using BT DNS apparently.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Br...g/td-p/1417031
https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Br...1417011#M98419
https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Br...e/td-p/1417053

Looks like they broke something fairly recently, perhaps in connection
with their recent blocking of torrent sites, including sites NOT covered
by recent court orders.
https://torrentfreak.com/bt-starts-b...-sites-141126/

Can't see Google or OpenDNS being too happy about this?
Old November 28th 14, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robert[_2_]

On 28/11/2014 11:37, Plusnet Support Team wrote:
On 27/11/2014 23:43, Robert wrote:
Win 7 Pro SP1
ISP BT Broadband

Today, I was unable to access google.com or google.co.uk unless I let my
machine automatically allocate DNS servers - ie: use my ISP defaults via
the BTHomehub.

I've tried setting OpenDNS servers or google DNS servers but that
prevents me accessing google.

Not seen this before - anyone got any ideas please?

Do you have parental controls enabled? If so, try disabling them.

Thanks for the suggestion - but - NO - Absolutely not. I prefer to make
my own choices about internet and any controls would be very much at a
machine level, not controlled by my ISP at a network level.
This is not an "individual user" issue - it's affecting lots of people
and has now been officially acknowledged by BT.
Old November 28th 14, 11:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robert[_2_]

On 28/11/2014 10:52, tigger wrote:
Robert writted thus

On 27/11/14 23:43, Robert wrote:
Win 7 Pro SP1 ISP BT Broadband

Today, I was unable to access google.com or google.co.uk unless I let
my machine automatically allocate DNS servers - ie: use my ISP
defaults via the BTHomehub.

I've tried setting OpenDNS servers or google DNS servers but that
prevents me accessing google.

Not seen this before - anyone got any ideas please?

dunno. Like most linux users my linux box ahas its own caching dns
server so I just go to the root servers and find my way from there.
Works for me OK

My guess is that your 'local' name servers got corrupted.

Seems to be a more general problem according to Twitter @BTCare - others
in same situation - if they DONT use BT DNS servers, then google and
youtube are unavailable.

Is it to do with ISPs filtering websites for the gubmint?

Well - that is my theory, yes - I think it is a side effect of the
latest torrent blocking by BT - and I think someone messed up in the
implementation. But I don't expect to hear anyone admitting it anytime soon!
I'll just add it to the many other BT snafu's such as BTMail, BTYahoo
hacking, and Phorm.

Old November 28th 14, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Robert[_2_]

On 27/11/2014 23:43, Robert wrote:
Win 7 Pro SP1
ISP BT Broadband

Today, I was unable to access google.com or google.co.uk unless I let my
machine automatically allocate DNS servers - ie: use my ISP defaults via
the BTHomehub.

I've tried setting OpenDNS servers or google DNS servers but that
prevents me accessing google.

Not seen this before - anyone got any ideas please?

Now seems to be resolved - at least three threads on the BT customer
forums discussing it.

Remarkably similar story to this incident in Turkey
http://www.bgpmon.net/turkey-hijacki...dns-providers/

Turks seem to have been able to make their interference a bit less
transparent.